01-04 vs 05+ DC for DD/light wheeler/expedition use

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
Little background on my current fleet:

95 Jeep ZJ: Sitting on 35's, long arms, built pretty well, usually trailered to/from trails
98 Jeep ZJ: 32's, was my wife's DD, looking to sell it this summer
01 F250: Tow rig and my current DD. 160k miles, some go-fast mods
2010 Impreza: Wife's DD, lease, warranty
Car Hauler: 16' deck, 7k lb, might sell to upgrade to a larger trailer
M416: Currently sprung over on 33's, bolt patterns to match ZJ, will mount RTT on it this summer.

Our two ZJ's with the M416 and some friends on Pearl Pass last summer:
5730_153980113367_585188367_3441113_7808296_n.jpg

My truck is getting up there in miles and it's just damn big for a DD. It's got a BTS transmission (read: $5,000) that's bulletproof and some other go fast stuff, and if I can eliminate the wear and tear of it being a DD, I would expect to be able to use the truck for tow duties for another 10 years or so.

The 98 ZJ has served the light duty wheeler role, but its got 150k miles on it as well, and isn't best suited for a DD.

So I'm hoping to pick up a Taco Double Cab as a DD that can also handle the light duty wheeling and a 2nd rig to take on expedition stuff when it's just my wife and I.

Are there any differences between the 01-04 and the 05+ besides appearances? I prefer the styling of the 01-04's, just unsure of any drivetrain or suspension differences. Interior space for the driver is very important for me too, I'm 6'5" and need a LOT of leg room.

How's the 3.4 V6 on power? Both of my ZJ's are V8's, and even on 35's mine is still quite powerful, and my truck just flat hauls. I don't think I need forced induction, but I assume the 3.4 with your basic intake and exhaust mods provides ample power?

I definitely want the rear locker, part of the TRD package I believe?

Basic build would include enough lift to run 33's (the Cruiser Outfitters HD setup looks solid), sliders, etc. Nothing too crazy, but enough to get the job done when I want it to. Don't need it to go nuts, that's what my ZJ's for. It would probably pull the M416 semi-frequently too.

If most things are equal between the 01-04's and the 05+'s I'll probably end up with an 01-04 based on price alone since, but figured I'd check with you guys to make sure my thinking was straight.

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
I think you need to drive each one to get a better feel for the differences, but here's a starting point.

1. Size: the 05+ is longer and wider. For a trail rig, that could be a liability, but for a traveling rig the extra space is nice.

2. Drivetrain: Both TRD packages come with a V6. The 3.4 V6 in the older Tacomas has a bit less power, but has a much longer track record for reliability. I wouldn't call the 3.4 "powerful", but it does just fine. The 4.0 V6 in the newer Tacomas is pretty strong, and can climb hills at speed much better than the 3.4.

3. Suspension: Same basic design (A-arms/coilovers up front; leafs in the rear). Parts are not interchangeable though. Both models have strong aftermarket support.

4. Price: You can definitely get a 01-04 for less, but not that much less. Both models hold value really well.

For someone your size, you might find the 01-04 model cramped. You gotta go drive the two trucks and make that call - either way you'll end up with a really nice rig.

deadbeat son

Explorer
05+ offers the 4.0L versus the 3.4 in the previous generation. Also, the 05+ is considerably roomier inside. While the suspension is a similar design, the parts are not interchangable between the two generations. You are correct regarding the e-locker as part of the TRD Off-Road package.

Edit -- Looks like Jacket beat me to the punch, and with more thorough information.

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
I had an '05 for a daily driver for four years. Comfortable, roomy, GREAT motor and 5 speed auto box. I put over 85K miles on it in those years and never did more than change the oil and refill the tank etc. Uber reliable. Sucked off road, however. I had a lot of goodies, and coming from a diverse background of off roaders, the Tacoma (current generation) was like a cork on a troubled sea - tossed around A LOT, very little articulation up front, and iffy handling. Very poor visibility too. My GF's '99 feels more at ease on the trail, but lacks the power and comfort of my Tacoma. Lastly, my Tacoma was totaled due to a weak frame. They are built in California now and the adjuster that looked at it said the weak frames were totaling a lot of rigs and that insurance was likely to stay high down the road for these trucks.

freeze

Adventurer
My 07 Tacoma was going to be the light duty camper. I have an 81 that was built for more difficult stuff.

Well.... things got a little out of control thanks to All-Pro and their LT give-away competition. The 07 is really nice on the long trips though.

hoist00

Observer
I'm also 6'5" and drive a 04 double cab with a supercharger so no lack of power. Your pretty much going to get what you pay for, meaning the newer ones are more comfortable have more interior room more power and do better on gas then an older one with a supercharger. Dont get me wrong I love my 04 but mine is built more like your older ZJ in that it has 35" tires solid front axle etc and is used more for double duty trail and street. If I was going to buy one for more light duty and daily driver I would save up and buy the newer one.

OTR

Adventurer
I am 6'4" and found the seats very uncomfortable in the newer Tacoma. The seat is very low to the floor and it felt like I was sitting in a kids chair. Make sure you sit in one for a while.
I like the 01-04 Tacoma and would add a supercharger with the savings of buying a newer on. I have also never sat in an 01-04 though, I'm just going off of my seat time in an 08'.

J*C*M

Traveller
I have an 05 access cab, same wheelbase as the double cab short bed, I've found it to be very capable off road, the size is really only an issue on extremely tight trails. I really like the previous generation, but after driving some long trips i wouldn't trade the extra space for slightly a slightly cheaper initial price, aftermarket parts are very similarly priced.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I played this game heavily when I was ready to move my 96' xcab Taco and find a 4dr replacement. I had spent enough time behind the wheel of both though customers but I really was still undecided. Finally settled on the 04' as I just couldn't fall in love with a few things about the 05+, the composite bed was a biggy. Having seen a few fail and knowing the way I load my trucks (my 96' had to have a replacement bed), it just wasn't happening. More so than that was the size, I've been in enough places that are 'just' big enough of my gen 1, the size of a 4dr gen 2 would be that much more work and effort. Fast forward 3 years and I'm heavily considering a gen 2 when I'm done with my current Tacoma. :D

atavuss

Adventurer
I had a 04 double cab 4x4 TRD Taco with all the bells and whistles, sold it and bought a 09 DC Taco 4x4 TRD. the 09 has more power with about the same gas mileage (both trucks had V6's that were left bone stock). I am
6'3" and the 09 is more comfortable for me. I was happy with both the 04 and 09 but the 09 suits me better. the hardest part for me was the price on the 09 (both were bought new).

Cackalak Han

Explorer
I loved my 01 DC, but on longer trips, it wasn't the most comfortable. The seats felt like wooden planks after 3 hours and my legs would go numb. Maybe better seats would help. 05+ is just so much more comfortable.

For my next truck, however, I am going with a Tundra. For light wheeling and expedition use, I believe it will be perfect. And now that I've had a 4.7 V8, I don't think I can go back to a V6. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz