'01-'04 DC Manual Tranny conversion?

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
Another post that touched on this topic has sparked me to start a thread on it. I have been thinking about this for a few days as I am Tacoma-sitting my friends '02 DC SR5 PreRunner (manual everything, except the tranny of course). I have enjoyed driving it; much smoother ride than my FJ55 :sombrero:.

I showed my wife (who is not generally a truck girl) the AT Flip-pac and she thought that it was very interesting and might suit our needs, as did I. Hence, my stray from the Land Cruiser section.

I don't want this to turn into an auto vs. manual transmission debate. To each their own... I have searched the archives and there does not seem to be any info on this particular topic.

I have little to no experience with Tacomas. However, it would seem logical that due to the existence of manual transmissions in 3rd-gen 4Runners and other Tacoma models of the same model run that a conversion would be theoretically possible.

Aside from cost. Is there anything preventing the use of near 100% OEM parts to do a conversion like this? I can only assume (maybe incorrectly) that there are no issues with tranny/t-case/diff alignment since the drivetrain should be near identical on all of the 4R/Tacos?

As always thoughts/discussion from the ExPo community is much appreciated.

Rexsname

Explorer
The automatic transmission is controlled by a seperate computer. What I don't know is, do these two computers talk to each other or are they stand alone units.

Any thing 'can' be done.....how bad do you want it?$$$$

REX

Desert Dan

Explorer
If you are moving to CA I would checking with the DMV / smog testing to see if you can change the trans to a manual before doing the conversion.

a.mus.ed

Explorer
Maybe finding a wrecked Tacoma of the same year, with a MT is the way to go - you get the tranny, the comp, and anything else you might need.

I too have dreamed of a 2001-04 DC 4x4 MT Tacoma many times. Don't tell my 80 I said that, though.

irish_11

Explorer
I've dreamed about this conversion too. Im a pretty big guy and I've got some tall friends who dont like climbing over the tumble seats in the 4runner. I kind of like the DC tacomas there's something ascetically pleasing about them, but I'm a manual transmission guy and I dont like driving autos. I have one in my commuter car, not by choice but because its what I could afford at the time. Im my trucks I've always loved sticks.

Anyway about the conversion. There are several old posts over on pirate4x4 and I think a few on yotatech about guys converting them. If you search there you should be able to find what you need as far as parts and prices involved. I agree on finding a wrecked tacoma and taking the tranny, the computer, the interior trim the peddles the master cylinder and so on. Its probably easier then running around trying to find all the parts separately.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Subscribed.

If you decide to do this, please take a bunch of pics. :D I still like the auto transmission, but if it ever goes, I might think about going with a 5-speed.

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
If you are moving to CA I would checking with the DMV / smog testing to see if you can change the trans to a manual before doing the conversion.

Good point. Having done some V8/diesel conversion research, I believe you are legal as long as the motor came with the particular tranny OEM.

Don't hold your breath guys, if this conversion does happen it will be years in the making. But, you'll be the first to hear about it!

I'll check the link when I get home. TIA.

Desert Dan

Explorer
Maybe order a new DC Tocama TRD?

from the brochure it looks like the DC is available with a manual but I haven't seen any around on the the extra cabs

a.mus.ed

Explorer
Maybe order a new DC Tocama TRD?

from the brochure it looks like the DC is available with a manual but I haven't seen any around on the the extra cabs

05 and up DC's were available with a 6 speed manual, but I think ChuckB is talking about converting an 01-04 DC which were never available with the manual. I've owned both versions (01 DC and 07 DC 6spd) and I liked my 01 better.

shawkins

Adventurer
I did this exact conversion in my friends '02 DC. IIRC, we were one of the first "all factory" conversions, except we didnt change the ECU. We did however use his stock push button 4WD transfer case. Its as if Toyota was planning on putting the manual in the DC, even the bracket for the clutch line was welded on the firewall at the factory.

The auto tranny ECU is built into the engine ECU but the engine runs perfectly fine without the auto tranny there, it just throws a CEL because the tranny is missing.

The hardest parts were drilling the holes for the clutch master (have to make sure they are in the perfect spot), and the wiring for the clutch start cancel switch and the clutch pedal switches (the wiring diagrams can get confusing! Figure them out before you start the conversion). You also have to do some cutting on the top of the tranny tunnel as the auto shifter doesn't need as big of an opening as the manual shifters.

The whole conversion took us a week. We could have easily done it in a weekend if we had all of the parts, but once we got into the swap we would find little parts we needed that would set us back a day usually ordering them from Toyota. It only took us a long day to reverse the swap for him to sell his truck though.

Last edited:

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
05 and up DC's were available with a 6 speed manual, but I think ChuckB is talking about converting an 01-04 DC which were never available with the manual. I've owned both versions (01 DC and 07 DC 6spd) and I liked my 01 better.

That is correct '01-04. I'm curious why you liked your '01 better than your '07? I have considered by 05+, but I like the classic lines of the 1st Gens better.

One other thing that caught my eye when doing this conversion are the rebuilt transmissions available from Marlin Cralwer. You can get a R150F with a deeper first gear. I'm assuming 3.83 is stock? But you can also get it with a 4.31 or 5.15.
Also the "TacoBox" looks tempting if money were no object, but I don't know if it would get any use in an overland type vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior