“Real” off-road trailers…

OllieChristopher

I really don't understand what we mean here by "real off-road" usage...Seriously, where and when are you ever driving "really" off of any road for any significant amount of time? You may be driving on really lousy roads but you're still on a "road" or "trail", if you want to call it that. Who is driving for any length of time where there is literally no established path?

For myself it's miles of rocky, rutted, sandy up and down Jeep two track and off the two track in the desert and mountains off the beaten path of much of the same. It is really hard to find any production "off road trailer" that is going to take a constant pounding.

Here in the Western US there is hundreds of miles of really nasty desert and mountains with no path at all to follow. I have spent quit a bit of time as a younger man exploring it. Of course this is nothing compared to the thousand mile stretches in Australia and other parts of the world.

gendlert

I recently watched videos on 'real offroad trailers , they look 'As seen ' in these posts , shown set up in nice flat sites .
Can you drag any of these through Fordyce, the Rubicon? I think i need to look up what the new 'off road ' meaning is..
Pretty much filmed on non maintained fs roads , nice rigs though, im jealous, couldn't afford to insure one.

So I was curious how technical you're talking, so I pulled up a few Fordyce and Rubicon videos just to make sure we're on the same page, and if that's the trail you want the trailer to go on, I'm confident my trailer would not be destroyed from the trek. I'm confident in that, because there's no way you'd make it one mile pulling ANY trailer through there. Those rocks and turns and breakovers will get you stuck and be the end of that trip, not the trailer breaking. I think the expectations of dragging a trailer "anywhere" have to be realistic. Those trails are hardcore 4-wheeling, not hardcore 6-wheeling. Go around, find an easier path, and enjoy your campsite. :) You can still get remote with a trailer and not have to go bouldering.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Plenty of super tough looking trailers on the market. Sadly, most of them are only for warm weather without any significant insulation. I have been looking all over and came to the conclusion that I need to build my own. The chassis is locally made with aluminum. Simple leave springs for easy field repair if needed. The box is made of our 2” panel system and let’s you go out in comfort year around without the worry of condensation. Full standing height will make it very comfortable to hang out inside when the weather sucks or the bugs to many. I designed the cabinetry like a piece of furniture. Honestly hate the powder coated aluminum variations... it’s needs to be cozy and not feel like a tool shed. Although I’m sure this trailer could go to some wicket off road places, I will most likely use it as base camp and take our ranger on day trips.

Attachments

• 7F7BBA23-E266-4167-8DF5-9A66226C77B3.jpeg
    7F7BBA23-E266-4167-8DF5-9A66226C77B3.jpeg
    104.2 KB · Views: 81
  • 2D261DA1-3943-4905-A681-43B07F03AC6B.jpeg
    2D261DA1-3943-4905-A681-43B07F03AC6B.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 80
  • 3256B2E9-DE87-405C-9C04-0EA79B677B98.jpeg
    3256B2E9-DE87-405C-9C04-0EA79B677B98.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 76
  • D6CAC30F-9217-42A3-B77C-252D28CBFAA0.jpeg
    D6CAC30F-9217-42A3-B77C-252D28CBFAA0.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 86
  • CE4B0250-9923-48BE-97E9-D47B7512BC31.jpeg
    CE4B0250-9923-48BE-97E9-D47B7512BC31.jpeg
    92.5 KB · Views: 84

billiebob

I agree with this but I've found the limiting factor to be tight turns. It can be really sticky to have to maneuver around a tree or boulder and realize the trailer is going to hang on it.
100% on this. No doubt no overlander will follow a quad. But take a short 2 door Wrangler with an 8' or shorter SquareDrop vs build a pickup camper with equal living and storage space.... obviously it will have a longer wheelbase, be taller and might not be able to follow a real short Jeep towing a real short trailer.

Many options with a trailer including dropping to go scout out the road ahead, or even dropping it and winching it around a switchback with a pulley. If your loaded F150 QuadCab will not make the corner..... an articulation point..... which can be disconnected offers more options.... including jack knife and drop the trailer, turn the truck around, couple back up and go. I'll take anything with an articulation point over a straight truck.

billiebob

Plenty of super tough looking trailers on the market. Sadly, most of them are only for warm weather without any significant insulation. I have been looking all over and came to the conclusion that I need to build my own. The chassis is locally made with aluminum. Simple leave springs for easy field repair if needed. The box is made of our 2” panel system and let’s you go out in comfort year around without the worry of condensation. Full standing height will make it very comfortable to hang out inside when the weather sucks or the bugs to many. I designed the cabinetry like a piece of furniture. Honestly hate the powder coated aluminum variations... it’s needs to be cozy and not feel like a tool shed. Although I’m sure this trailer could go to some wicket off road places, I will most likely use it as base camp and take our ranger on day trips.
Bigger than I need but near perfect otherwise.

I love the awning window behind the bed, I'd sleep with it open most nights. But I'd want much bigger side windows.
I like the simplicity of solid axle and leafs. I really see no advantage in the many torsion or independent options, at least I cannot justify the cost increase.

Last edited:

4000lbsOfGoat

I agree with this but I've found the limiting factor to be tight turns. It can be really sticky to have to maneuver around a tree or boulder and realize the trailer is going to hang on it.
This is where it's important that the distance from the rear wheel of the tow vehicle to the trailer wheel matches the wheelbase of the tow vehicle as closely as possible. My Expedition will follow in *almost* the exact same track as the Tacoma - it swings maybe an inch wider. I haven't yet encountered a turn that the truck could make where the trailer wouldn't follow.

For myself it's miles of rocky, rutted, sandy up and down Jeep two track and off the two track in the desert and mountains off the beaten path of much of the same. It is really hard to find any production "off road trailer" that is going to take a constant pounding.
My trailer has so far handled a good 300-400 "miles of rocky, rutted, sandy, up and down" roads without any major issues. It went all the way across El Camino del Diablo, including Fortuna Mine (plus 900 miles of highway driving on either side). I think you underestimate how well built many of these units are.

As has been previously stated, the limiting factors are tow vehicle power, trailer ground clearance and turning radius when you are talking about technical driving, which is going to be low-speed. The hardest hits my trailer has ever taken have been at 65mph on the highway - the highway may actually be harder on the trailer than any "real off-road" driving simply because speed amplifies any surface imperfections.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Bigger than I need but near perfect otherwise.

I love the awning window behind the bed, I'd sleep with it open most nights. But I'd want much bigger side windows.
I like the simplicity of solid axle and leafs. I really see no advantage in the many torsion or independent options, at least I cannot justify the cost increase.

I have more windows to install.. couple items like the table leg and toilet are delayed. Give me another couple weeks and it should be ready for a walk through.
my words about the suspension. I have read about way too many people with alignment issues on the timbren. Can’t imagine trying to solve this and finding parts while away on a trip.

OllieChristopher

My trailer has so far handled a good 300-400 "miles of rocky, rutted, sandy, up and down" roads without any major issues. It went all the way across El Camino del Diablo, including Fortuna Mine (plus 900 miles of highway driving on either side). I think you underestimate how well built many of these units are.

Our definition of off highway travel is a world apart. Camino del Diablo/Fortuna Mine trails are easy 2wd roads. The type of terrain I am talking about would have the fenders and side mounted propane tank torn off of your trailer the first few miles. Think miles of whooped out washboard and rocks that have one or more wheels of your vehicle in the air. Also threading through trees and narrow rock canyons. You have a nice rig no doubt. It is a production build towable though and not designed for the riggers of hard core terrain.

blacklbzbeauty

The Aussies and South Africans seem to have no issue dragging production trailers across hundreds and hundreds of miles of the same if not worse terrain than you are describing. Are you suggesting there are no production trailers that will hold up to your description of "hard core terrain"? If so please elaborate. Or do you currently own or would you be willing to recommend a brand/model that is able to handle same? Cannot tell from your comments what you are advocating. I'm sure the OP could benefit from your feedback.

OllieChristopher

I could not recommend any production trailer on the market today. When racing desert all the ones I have seen taken to the pit/camp areas have issues within the first 6 months or so. I have also done repairs on buddies and got to a point where I realized a custom build is going to be the only way to get the durability and reliability needed.

Isn't there a thread on here ? ' Pictures or it didn't happen '

Let me give you an idea of some of the simpler 2 track roads and trails I'm describing. Picture do no justice and these are 2wd capable for a decent driver. I had to stop and scope it out to make sure it was doable. And these are the easier ones here in Southern California.

1st and 2nd trails get pretty narrow and have outcroppings of roots and rocks that are going to pinstripe and gouge. FWIW I have never ever seen any trailer get pulled on these long jeep roads. There are no bailouts or turnarounds for miles. Four wheel campers only or a very capable driver with a custom small towable that has no outcropping fenders and not afraid of banged up undercarriage a serious beating. Even motorcycles struggle in these rocks.9AABB0D9-C39C-4E9D-BA7A-DD8CDC96F138.jpeg3951B3EF-0158-41BB-BAF2-E6FA9ECA8E63.jpeg88AA80D0-43A1-464D-AFBF-3ACF263C964B.jpeg4E8656B7-1D81-453B-9092-9D73F175ED3A.jpeg

4000lbsOfGoat

I could not recommend any production trailer on the market today.
So you do not own any of the trailer models under discussion but you can definitively say that none of them are any good? That's bold.

1st and 2nd trails get pretty narrow and have outcroppings of roots and rocks that are going to pinstripe and gouge.
The fact that trail conditions may cause scratches is a design\build defect of the trailer? The "easy 2WD Camino" took a couple good gouges out of one of my trailer wheels. My truck and trailer are covered in trail rash. They are tools, sometimes they take cosmetic damage. That doesn't have any bearing on the quality\durability of the trailer.

FWIW I have never ever seen any trailer get pulled on these long jeep roads. There are no bailouts or turnarounds for miles.
Why would I be taking a camper to a place where there is nowhere to camp?

I believe the OP was looking for input from folks who have actual experience owning and using this type of camper.

OllieChristopher

Why would I be taking a camper to a place where there is nowhere to camp?
I believe the OP was looking for input from folks who have actual experience owning and using this type of camper.

It's the journey to get there that destroys the rigs. I do not have to own a rig to understand how fragile it is. All the rigs the OP and others have listed are just not up to the task of the type of off highway travel I described or shown.

So you do not own any of the trailer models under discussion but you can definitively say that none of them are any good? That's bold.

Lets just say that the dozens of "off road trailers" I have come across cannot stand up to the abuse I have previously described. I do not want anyone here to think I'm putting down their trailer. For an average two track dirt road taken slowly with some washboard and a few easy obstacles then yes any one of the choices the OP has described including your trailer is perfectly acceptable.

We all have our description of a "real off road trailer". Mine is something that can be banged and dragged over large sharp rocks, 3+ foot ledges deep wheel swallowing ruts, etc. That is just me though. I can safely say there is not a trailer on the market today that can meet my requirements. Even the axle-less ones have suspension components that are going to fail in the conditions I have described.

My suggestion is to skip the trailer all together if you are planning on serious (as I have described) off road. You will be much better served with a lightweight pop up camper or store a tent. It's all about choices and what your description of off road travel is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles