“One size fits all” stove/camp cooking setup?

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
OK, I’ve read all the comments here and should probably just make my own decision, but I’ll toss this out for the ExPo collective wisdom. I owned a two burner Coleman white gas stove decades ago and got tired of pumping, spilled fuel, dry leather seals etc, and switched to a very reliable Century propane stove. Unfortunately the regulator on that failed after about 20 years, while we were in Mexico, and I was unable to find parts, so purchased the only kind of stove available in San Felipe, a cheap butane aka “hairspray” stove, which worked great in Baja. On my next trip, at higher elevation and much colder, it was really marginal. Not to mention that I wrapped it with a windguard to improve performance, probably subjecting myself to immolation if it overheated and blew up. But I didn’t know that until reading this thread and then the Australian safety warnings tonight. So I should probably get a new stove, and would be fine with a newer Coleman or other “cheap” propane stove. But ... I don’t like the disposable bottles, and we have an MSR white gas backpacking stove, so I do have white gas around, and I found a Coleman 413H white gas stove in a local 2nd hand sports shop, barely used, for $25. Although I couldn’t find a propane camp stove in Mexico, the 1lb bottles were readily available, presumably for tourists ... is white gas readily available in Mexico and Canada? I’m leaning towards white gas, but my wife thinks the propane is much easier/cleaner. For propane 2 burner, what’s the best choice (cheap but reliable, not Partner)? BTW, I could not find a regulator/hose assembly for my Century stove back here either ... I tried to hack together an assembly using generic Stansport parts but there were too many swaged together fittings to be able to make a connection to the stove. So, for my next stove I also want something generically repairable. Thanks.

Why limit your old Coleman white gas stove to one fuel?
When I started camping with people who used these (white gas 2 burner stoves) they were frequently converted to canned propane (green one pounders, or one pound propane torch tanks) using cheap converter tubes (google)... the conversion is quick easy and easily reversible (just use the pump up tank instead).
I largely gave up on one pounders except for quickie weekender camping and switched to a 10 pound propane tank long ago/back in the 20th century... for longer trips I bring a 20 pound tank. Having a variety of stoves and lets me select the better (not always best) one for the job; for quickies, alone, the single burner white gas, for several people quickie camps the two burner one pound propane for really long trips or more people the bulk propane tanks with regulator and hose run to the two burner..

Enjoy!

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
^^^ I guess the moral of the story is “don't take your Century stove to Baja”. Our hose assembly failed at the pressure relief valve, spraying propane as soon as we screwed in the canister. I disassembled it and checked for an obstruction, no luck. But the way the hose was swaged on so I couldn't figure out how to swap it out. No NPT fittings or compression fittings I could unscrew. I'm sure a splice and clamp might hold pressure but I didn't want to risk it, so I tossed the stove in the steel recycling bin. It gave many years of good service.

I called Century and purchased a replacement propane line and regulator. $17 for that part. But shipping was $15. My stove had the rubber flexible hose. That has gotten discontinued. The replacement is hardline.

dman93

Adventurer
I called Century and purchased a replacement propane line and regulator. $17 for that part. But shipping was $15. My stove had the rubber flexible hose. That has gotten discontinued. The replacement is hardline.

Good ending! Too late for me now since I tossed the stove. I think subconsciously I wanted a new one.

PPCLI_Jim

Adventurer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M72MqI9Vh6k

i agree 1 stove cannot do it all. There are great stoves that can do many things but from back packing where size and weight REALLY matter to vehicle borne adventures where its not so. As a retired infantry guy , I have tried many types of stoves, and have come to the point of diminishing returns. The req are just too varied, sure you can make due BUT... Anyway It's hard to beat the coleman series either liquid fuel or compressed gas multiburner stoves. In NA parts are easily available

ramatl73

Observer
Never heard of this item before. Thanks for sharing. outside of being slightly heavy, it checks a lot of boxes. Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We use the four burner version for a couple of large group outings we do three times a year. It supports cooking for up to 40 people no problem. Liked it so much I bought one just like this for family outings (just three + dog). Blackstone products are top-notch.

robert

Expedition Leader
Why limit your old Coleman white gas stove to one fuel?
When I started camping with people who used these (white gas 2 burner stoves) they were frequently converted to canned propane (green one pounders, or one pound propane torch tanks) using cheap converter tubes (google)... the conversion is quick easy and easily reversible (just use the pump up tank instead).
I largely gave up on one pounders except for quickie weekender camping and switched to a 10 pound propane tank long ago/back in the 20th century... for longer trips I bring a 20 pound tank. Having a variety of stoves and lets me select the better (not always best) one for the job; for quickies, alone, the single burner white gas, for several people quickie camps the two burner one pound propane for really long trips or more people the bulk propane tanks with regulator and hose run to the two burner..

Enjoy!

Pretty much the same thing I do when I want convenience except I have an 11lb tank since it's a smaller diameter. I have one of those propane distribution poles (I think from Wal-Mart) that clamps onto the tank handle that I put one of the small Coleman lamps (https://www.coleman.com/compact-perfectflow-propane-lantern/2000026392.html?cgid=coleman-lighting-fueledlanterns#start=7) on top of then run the hose to the stove off the lower connection.

I tend to prefer the Coleman fuel though as it's easier to carry a full tank with the stove and an MSR bottle and that's lighter than a 1lb propane cylinder, no waste cylinder, and last longer as well. One of these days I'm going to buy the dual fuel generators for my stoves and lanterns.

DCH109

Adventurer
to the OP.

I solo camp and soon with my two boys. I car camp and have backpacked for years.
Couple of things, before I moved to the US from Canada I did a lot of camping car and otherwise as well. There i used a cooler for food with block ice. For whatever reason it is hard to find block ice in the US or for me at least.
Why block ice? 1 block with a cooler will last 4-5 days without an issue.
Because I have zero luck finding it I bought a 12V fridge.

So here is the setup I did over the past several trips. These are trips from VA to CO.

Trip 1.
Fridge in the SUV
Single burner Naphtha stove (MSR whisperlight)
Battery operated LED lantern (breaking mantles sucks)
Table and chairs

This stove had been with me through hell and back I like it but i did not on this trip. I had the room so i should have brought a 2 burner stove,
backpacking i am normally eating out of a pouch and I realized that I can do better here.
Back home I used this car camping, and while it was great I sat on rocks and did not have chairs. I also realized now (older) that I want to be semi comfortable,

Trip 2.
Fridge in the SUV
1960 Coleman 2 burner Naphtha fuel stove.
Battery operated LED lantern (breaking mantles sucks).

Stove was awesome, cooking for 1 it was great and nice to be able to cook bacon and eggs at the same time, or boil water while you are cooking something else.
Easy to light and keep things simmered. It was bouncing around in my 4x4 all over the back roads in CO and not one leak.

Trip 3.
So I brought and used the 2 burner stove I also brought a beer can stove (look it up) using alcohol as fuel. This was more to switch to a lighter setup when back[packing and have it as a survival stove.
It was great and I could actually cook pasta with it. That was a surprise. Many time when I wanted tea or a fast coffee on the trail I would stop bring it out and drop an ounce of fuel in it, light it and boil some water or make coffee. fast, clean and simple. + it was super light and fit inside of a single size cook pot or my peculator stove top coffee maker. I even used it with a small fry pan to cook up a trout.

The bigger stove was reduced to breakfast and dinner and even then only for a bigger meal.

So one size fits all I doubt but i believe you can find something that will work for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke