“Malfunctioning” Satellite messengers

trae

Adventurer
Hello everyone,

Linking to a blog post by a local SAR guy that I think might be of interested to this community:

In the past year I’ve heard of two situations where the improper use of a satellite emergency notification device (SEND) such as an DeLorme InReach or SPOT Messenger have caused SAR to be called out to search. In both cases I suspect user error (misunderstanding how the device operates) combined with badly designed user interfaces to be the cause.

I thought it was pretty interesting and highlights some of the edge cases when using these devices.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I have been using SPOT since it started and never found it to be slow as long as the device is horizontal, good batteries are installed and it has a clear view of the sky.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I have been using a SPOT since they came out and an Delorme InReach since they came out...yeah both I know I know
Both have proven themselves, both have not sent a tracking ping or took a bit to send a message but nothing mission critcal and honestly I will never be without my InReach until something better comes along...cheap for what you get when you travel to places without cell service.

chickadee

Adventurer
We have been using the Delorme Inreach Explorer and had an issue 1/2 way through the Canning Stock Route in Australia where it would not charge or power up. Unfortunately, this was when we could have needed it the most. When we got back to the States, a Delorme rep told us about a soft reboot which fixed the problem. Unfortunately, contacting a rep or searching the Internet for a fix was not a possibility in the middle of the Outback.

Last edited:

trae

Adventurer
I wasn't criticizing these devices, merely pointing out some opinions from someone far knowledgable than me.. I intend to get an InReach shortly, both for the ability to communicate and to pair it with my iPad to provide GPS.

Climberclimb

Observer
My Inreach works really well connected to my phone /ipad. The mapping software it comes with is actually fairly decent!
Cheers

chickadee

Adventurer
With the above being said, I used our Delorme InReach while hiking across England and for the first 1/2 of our summer in AUS and it worked beautifully until it didn't. It works well connected to our iPhones and iPad. The two way texting capability & tracking are great features.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles