“Grab and go” setups?

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Roads are public for a reason. I guess we can go back to each state (or even county) having its own borders, and preventing foreigners from the next town over from using the roads and services. We can stop all the tourists who don't have a special pass from crossing state lines. That will really show em.

There is something to be said for compartmentalizing gear based on usage location. In some cases having two of certain items (shows, towels, toothbrush) has value.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
..Away back when (we were younger and the kids were still young);
We used a much less refined variant of what I still/currently use in the back of the Jeep TJ vehicles have changed over the years but when the STUFF pile gets too large for the vehicle its time to reduce stuff not normally to get a bigger vehicle or strap stuff to the outside, IMO;
The less fragile stuff was stored in the garage ready to load; tent (s for kids), awning/canopy, chairs, cots and air mattresses ground cloth and tarp etc.
The 10 to 40 liters worth of empty scepter cans/french wine tins are stored (clean , dry) in the basement, or pantry along with the canteens (empty, dry).
The usually empty, during storage ammo cans (some are stored inside of others) for dry foods are stored in the pantry.
The larger Apache (from Harbor Freight) case of cooking gear is currently kept in the spare bedroom; it never gets unpacked at home and gets restocked, if necessary, immediately on return from the trip... the priority is what you NEED not what you want.
The clean cooler is stored in the spare bedroom.
Along with the camping end tables and the small folding/collapsible table.
The remaining 2 medium Apache cases; one for miscellaneous stuff like coffee cups (they refuse to fit in the kitchen case) and tunes/ electrical gear fit in one case and the wash up gear (including the dog bowl-sink and kettle to heat wash water, fits in another... after arrival they are stored under a cot.
The clean port-a-pot gets stored in the spare bedroom with a spray bottle and roll of TP inside along with a full compliment of chemicals (restock immediately on return).
The tent battery gets stored on a battery tender in the basement.
Everyone gets a small duffel for clothing; if it gets soiled hit a laundromat.

There is normally extra room in the Jeep if I go alone; if another person comes along there is an additional cot, with kids air mattresses are sufficient, along with a sleeping bag and small clothing duffel each... kids in diapers are a special case.

My thoughts; stock up before leaving home and get the stuff you forgot at the last stop/town before you arrive.
Leave the area cleaner than it was when you got there.
Be a good neighbor.
Don't do, modify, tear up or leave any thing that would be out of place in the nicest front yard (hopefully your own) of your home neighborhood.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

tdferrero

I think I speak for many small communities with favbulous tourism attractions plus a strong industrial base. We live in a valley ripe for forestry, a bit of mining and some agriculture. But we are a beautiful mountain valley with an incredible lake. Everything is a 5 minute walk from home. Banks, groceries, postal, restaurants, boat launch, college, hardware, lumber.... but when we feel the impact of tourism we are pissed. There might be communities willing to beg for tourism dollars but many small towns run just fine without tourism. Tourism is not why most communities exist. It is just an added source of income. Too many tourists are willing to spend $20K on a trailer but shop to save $2 on beer, or cheese, or.....

Not me, I stop and spend a few bucks in every town I go thru. Do you ?

Firstly, to say, "stop and spend a few bucks in every town you go through," is a bit of a ridiculous merit. I do not owe any particular town x amount of money, if I happen to make a purchase while in town, I will do my best to support a local business. But with your claim that, "Tourism is not why most communities exist," they will continue to survive after I leave town if I don't "stop and spend a few bucks."
Secondly, if a tourist wants to "spend $20k on a trailer but shop to save $2 on beer, or cheese, or.....," they have every right to. After spending that much money on something, I'd be looking to save a few dollars myself.

billiebob

People boondock for different reasons.
I hear ya. I got most of my attitude about boon dockers off the boon docking forums which I was shocked were mostly conversations about how to squat on public, even private land. What to say if anyone challenges you. Where to park for 6 months. Literally how to free load. I got off that forum after a few months.

yes there are thousands of people who contribute without owning land. thousands of great tourists who travel to see culture and people and support local economies. My rant is about the few who are looking for a free ride. Where to steal a free shower. How to dump yer holding tank for free. There are some truly disgusting people out there. They are the ones who try to park at the public beach for 3 days. A rare commodity for sure but one which taints the image of the rest of us and turns the public against us. Resulting in gates on resource roads and signs like,

no-parking-signs-no-overnight-parking-violators-towed-l6784-lg.jpg

gatorgrizz27

This has gone off the rails quite a bit, I’m talking about taking my boys camping to get into the woods within 30 minutes to an hour of my house. I already do plenty for our local economy. I also understand animosity towards tourists that take advantage of resources for extended periods of time, which is honestly what leads to a larger need for boon docking as state park campsites stay 100% booked during the 6 reasonable months of the year.

I'd like to see that, I use a 5x10 cargo for my chimney business. My camper slides into the other work trailer, a 5x10 deck trailer.

I’ll try to do a complete write up on it soon, I’ve got a bunch of photos I just need to take the time to cover the mods and process of switching back and forth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles