“Grab and go” setups?

shade

Something that can be a big help on longer trips is for everyone to keep a small shower bag ready to go at a moment's notice. All toiletries, a full set of clean clothes, shower footwear, and towel. Being able to quickly stop for showers without digging around for everything is worth planning ahead.

billiebob

I enjoy spending time in new communities and meeting new people, but as long as they're respectful and don't cause problems, I'm not sure why anyone would hate people spending money in their community and moving on.
Because they park on main street, eat in the motorhome, cause a 3 ferry wait for the locals..... I could go on forever or you could move to a small industrial as in not touristy town and learn why RVers are frowned on in small towns. You might be the anomaly but most tourists do not enjoy meeting the locals, they come to be with the fellow tourists with blinders on. They might stop at the grocery or liquor store but many of them leave a trail of trash in their wake. Very few understand "support the local economy, tread lightly, be ambassadors, meet the locals".

And that closes local camping spots. Last summer after cleaning up the mess "tourists" left the halfway scale.... the operators graded a pile of rocks to block passage to the beach. Most logging roads get blocked "decommissioned" every summer to block the "tourists" from them. Forestry Service Roads, FSRs on the map are public roads but every spur off that road is a private resource road built by the logging or mining company logging or mining. They have learned the easy solution is to gate it or dig a ditch across it. Another reason the locals hate tourists, you were the reason they lost access to that country too.

We just had 3 out of province snowmobilers ticketed for riding in Caribou Protected areas..... another reason locals hate tourists. And your $$$$ do nothing to support the local economy when you travel self sufficient. No one makes money on gasoline sales.

WE ALL love motorbikes tho..... 2 wheeled travellers ALWAYS dine out, shop local, and 10 bikes, 10-20 customers in the restaurants and bars, take up less parking space than a self contained expedition rig whose owners "dine at home". Bikers know how to support the local economy. They either camp in campgrounds or stay in Hotels.

The worst thing for overlanders is this self sufficiency thing. I think the worst thing for North America is the inability to converse with each other. We are becoming the polar opposite of expedition leaders or overlanders or diplomats or ambassadors or the explorers who discovered America and the rest of the world. As we close out everything we disagree with... sorry no, as we close out everything we are TOLD to disagree with.... our world becomes smaller. Expeditions, Overlanding is meant to open doors, not close them.

shade

Because they park on main street, eat in the motorhome, cause a 3 ferry wait for the locals..... I could go on forever or you could move to a small industrial as in not touristy town and learn why RVers are frowned on in small towns. You might be the anomaly but most tourists do not enjoy meeting the locals, they come to be with the fellow tourists with blinders on. They might stop at the grocery or liquor store but many of them leave a trail of trash in their wake. Very few understand "support the local economy, tread lightly, be ambassadors, meet the locals".

And that closes local camping spots. Last summer after cleaning up the mess "tourists" left the halfway scale.... the operators graded a pile of rocks to block passage to the beach. Most logging roads get blocked "decommissioned" every summer to block the "tourists" from them. Forestry Service Roads, FSRs on the map are public roads but every spur off that road is a private resource road built by the logging or mining company logging or mining. They have learned the easy solution is to gate it or dig a ditch across it. Another reason the locals hate tourists, you were the reason they lost access to that country too.

We just had 3 out of province snowmobilers ticketed for riding in Caribou Protected areas..... another reason locals hate tourists. And your $$$$ do nothing to support the local economy when you travel self sufficient. No one makes money on gasoline sales.

WE ALL love motorbikes tho..... 2 wheeled travellers ALWAYS dine out, shop local, and 10 bikes, 10-20 customers in the restaurants and bars, take up less parking space than a self contained expedition rig whose owners "dine at home". Bikers know how to support the local economy. They either camp in campgrounds or stay in Hotels.

The worst thing for overlanders is this self sufficiency thing. I think the worst thing for North America is the inability to converse with each other. We are becoming the polar opposite of expedition leaders or overlanders or diplomats or ambassadors or the explorers who discovered America and the rest of the world. As we close out everything we disagree with... sorry no, as we close out everything we are TOLD to disagree with.... our world becomes smaller. Expeditions, Overlanding is meant to open doors, not close them.
Sounds like some of your complaints could be addressed by more enforcement, and higher use fees for out of province visitors.

As for the rest, I don't feel any overriding desire to spread my money around just to make local folks happy. I pay my way, utilize local supplies and services as needed, and I'm not a burden to anyone. If someone expects more than that, that's not my problem. I wouldn't expect any more of visitors to my town, either.

I do enjoy visiting local shops and restaurants when traveling, and I make a point of doing that when I'm on vacation, but that's my choice.

billiebob

Sounds like some of your complaints could be addressed by more enforcement, and higher use fees for out of province visitors.
No No They could all be addressed with smarter tourists. Fees ?? Regulations ?? REALLY ??? like I said, We are our worst enemies.
Things like these forums could do it all if they had focus.

shade

No No They could all be addressed with smarter tourists. Fees ?? Regulations ?? REALLY ??? like I said, We are our worst enemies.
Things like these forums could do it all if they had focus.
Yes, really.

In a perfect world, yes, smarter tourists wouldn't create as many problems. There's no excuse for dumping trash in a ditch, for example.

You're wise enough to know that some people will never be smart enough to meet your standard, though. Education can't address all of the problems you listed, either.

I'd like to know how "smarter tourists" would decrease demands on ferry service, or other infrastructure items. Increased fees would allow improvements and/or decrease demand. Either increase the ability to meet the needs of more people (and make those people pay their way), or take the resulting delays in stride. Educating tourists won't decrease the flow of waste water, or the number of vehicles waiting for a ferry.

billiebob

As for the rest, I don't feel any overriding desire to spread my money around just to make local folks happy. I pay my way, utilize local supplies and services as needed, and I'm not a burden to anyone. If someone expects more than that, that's not my problem. I wouldn't expect any more of visitors to my town, either.
This is the 60/40 thing. But if access to your favortite spots starts disappearing, which they are, what is your solution. Like I said, if you want to focus on "me", expect your hosts to do the same. You are a visitor, if you expect to be welcome expect to do more than "pay your way". If all you expect is to not be a burden, first you need to understand the burden you are. We pay taxes to run the business you support. But you pay no taxes for ALL those things you expect. Yes tourism CAN be a great source of income. You missed the part that self sufficient tourists support nothing and COST communities $$$.

I doubt you are one of those free loaders shade but the freeloaders, boon dockers are a huge part of our community and getting bigger everyday. That is the difference. We need to change focus. Minimizing expense, Self sufficiency kills tourism. That is why communities hate tourists. If you want to travel for free..... don't, stay home. Your travel leaves an imprint which costs communities money. Utah has this discussion every year with the idiots who dial 911. We think we are paying our way until ******** happens and someone elses taxes have to foot the bill.

You are not paying your way unless you own property and pay taxes.

Last edited:

billiebob

Either increase the ability to meet the needs of more people (and make those people pay their way), or take the resulting delays in stride
We take the delays in stride and ignore you if you have problems. Our businesses who are most affected when trucks delivering products are delayed by tourists take a financial hit. Our inland ferries have always been free. No one would complain if the tourists actually supported those businesses. Unfortunately you are missing the point. Quit supporting the freeloader and promote the local businesses. Buy your supplies in every town you go thru. Forget Costco and Walmart, shop at the local businesses especially if you park at the beach or on main street.

You are making an arguement out of what we agree on.

I'm done.

TripLeader

Explorer
Individuals often dislike tourists for the reasons you've said. Communities love promoting tourism. There is big money there for growth. Very few tourists are self sufficient.

I pay for my roads here, you pay for your roads there. It's a wash.

Your dollar is your vote.

billiebob

Individuals often dislike tourists for the reasons you've said. Communities love promoting tourism. There is big money there for growth. Very few tourists are self sufficient.

I pay for my roads here, you pay for your roads there. It's a wash.

Your dollar is your vote.
We aren't talking about roads. We are talking about inconvenience, impact on local lives. And I am glad you are not self sufficient but do you understand the concept?. Too many tourists buy supplies in the big cities and expect hospitality in the towns and villages they go on vacation for. Not neccessarily self sufficient, more arrogant, ignoring reality. Not supporting the economy of the attractions they want to visit. Thinking admission at the Hot Springs covers their impact. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

When you spend at Walmart your vote does not count.

I honestly leave home with an empty cooler and buy my food and beer on the road.

Last edited:

shade

You are not paying your way unless you own property and pay taxes.
I pay taxes and fees and whatever else when I travel.
I don't even complain when I'm charged $10 to take a five minute shower.
By your standard, I must also own property in an area and pay taxes on it to visit that place, or I'm a "freeloader"?

If you're asking people to support truly local businesses when traveling, I'm in total agreement.
If you're upset about visitors abusing the land, I'm with you on that, too.
Past that, I think you're reaching NIMBY/Get Off My Lawn! territory.

Last edited:

billiebob

I think I speak for many small communities with favbulous tourism attractions plus a strong industrial base. We live in a valley ripe for forestry, a bit of mining and some agriculture. But we are a beautiful mountain valley with an incredible lake. Everything is a 5 minute walk from home. Banks, groceries, postal, restaurants, boat launch, college, hardware, lumber.... but when we feel the impact of tourism we are pissed. There might be communities willing to beg for tourism dollars but many small towns run just fine without tourism. Tourism is not why most communities exist. It is just an added source of income. Too many tourists are willing to spend $20K on a trailer but shop to save $2 on beer, or cheese, or.....

Not me, I stop and spend a few bucks in every town I go thru. Do you ?

shade

I think I speak for many small communities with favbulous tourism attractions plus a strong industrial base. We live in a valley ripe for forestry, a bit of mining and some agriculture. But we are a beautiful mountain valley with an incredible lake. Everything is a 5 minute walk from home. Banks, groceries, postal, restaurants, boat launch, college, hardware, lumber.... but when we feel the impact of tourism we are pissed. There might be communities willing to beg for tourism dollars but many small towns run just fine without tourism. Tourism is not why most communities exist. It is just an added source of income. Too many tourists are willing to spend $20K on a trailer but shop to save $2 on beer, or cheese, or.....

Not me, I stop and spend a few bucks in every town I go thru. Do you ?
I stop frequently, but not in every town I go through.
When I stop, I usually spend some money.

I don't own land and pay taxes on that property in every community I visit with a tourism business component. Do you?

s.e.charles

We aren't talking about roads. We are talking about inconvenience, impact on local lives. And I am glad you are not self sufficient but do you understand the concept?. Too many tourists buy supplies in the big cities and expect hospitality in the towns and villages they go on vacation for. Not neccessarily self sufficient, more arrogant, ignoring reality. Not supporting the economy of the attractions they want to visit. Thinking admission at the Hot Springs covers their impact. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

When you spend at Walmart your vote does not count.

I honestly leave home with an empty cooler and buy my food and beer on the road.

I dunno . . . everybody dumps on Walmart until paper towels and huggies go on sale. then the line stretches out the door.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94