?’s about options on a custom order 2020 Ford F-350 6.2L gasser

D

Deleted member 9101

I'll drive 2-F150s. One is owned by a freind the other by the father in law. Both have issues with tranmission shifting. It's the software not the tranmission.

Ford says there's no harm, nothing wrong when the transmission jumps gears and makes a thunk.

When not loaded the father in law has several of the gears locked out in his F150

May also want to look into the durability of the aluminum boxes. From what I've seen they are not as durable as a steel box.

The skipping of gears is 100% normal and the easiest way to "fix" the perceived problem is to hit the "down shift" button while the truck is in drive (it will hide the gear display). Ford did release an update to stop the "thump" but it's also caused by overly cautious drivers watching the gear indicator and trying to manipulate the transmission shifting.

As for the durability of the aluminum beds, I have had two. One in a work truck and one in my personal truck. Neither has had any issues. The aluminum bed is cheaper and easier to repair than its steel predecessor.

I mean...its not like commercial trucks/trailers have run aluminum beds for decades....oh....wait...lol.

Alloy

The skipping of gears is 100% normal and the easiest way to "fix" the perceived problem is to hit the "down shift" button while the truck is in drive (it will hide the gear display). Ford did release an update to stop the "thump" but it's also caused by overly cautious drivers watching the gear indicator and trying to manipulate the transmission shifting.

As for the durability of the aluminum beds, I have had two. One in a work truck and one in my personal truck. Neither has had any issues. The aluminum bed is cheaper and easier to repair than its steel predecessor.

I mean...its not like commercial trucks/trailers have run aluminum beds for decades....oh....wait...lol.

My friend that owns one of F150 is a Ford tech. If there's a solution he'd have it.

I've seen between 30 and 40 boxes.

A commercial bed vs. a tuck box is an apples to oranges comparison.

Why is an aluminum bed is easier to repair?

D

Deleted member 9101

If it truly bothers him...he can call Brew City Boost and have them do a custom tune that fits his needs. Any tech would know that.

The aluminum body of the F150 was specifically designed to have easily replaceable and affordable body panels.

Also, what specifically do you think is less dourable about the aluminum bed?

Alloy

If it truly bothers him...he can call Brew City Boost and have them do a custom tune that fits his needs. Any tech would know that.

The aluminum body of the F150 was specifically designed to have easily replaceable and affordable body panels.

Also, what specifically do you think is less dourable about the aluminum bed?

Like to see where the the numbers came from for that report. Ask a body shop if they weld cuts longer than 2" like they can with steel or do they replace the whole (door, fender, box side) panel.

I'll leave my comment regarding the durability of alum as is. "May also want to look into the durability of the aluminum boxes. From what I've seen they are not as durable as a steel box."

D

Deleted member 9101

Like to see where the the numbers came from for that report. Ask a body shop if they weld cuts longer than 2" like they can with steel or do they replace the whole (door, fender, box side) panel.

I'll leave my comment regarding the durability of alum as is. "May also want to look into the durability of the aluminum boxes. From what I've seen they are not as durable as a steel box."

They replace the whole panel, it's faster and more efficient. Spend 5 min reading on the subject, Ford put in a lot of work to make the aluminum body economical.

As for your statement on the bed... Sounds like sour ?

tacollie

Glamper
If a body shop has the option of replacing a whole panel they aren't going to weld on it even if it is steel. They are going to replace it because its the better way to do it and they make more money.

I'll gladly take aluminum for additional payload.

I got the 2.7tt F150 first year. It's been a total winner for me. I guess the 2.7tt has been really good motor out of the gate and I may be spoiled but I'd be gunning for the 7.3 gasser. Nothing wrong with the 6.2. GO WITH YOUR FIRST INSTINCT. At least in my personal experience the vast majority of regretful decisions when it comes to purchasing things it's a result of me overthinking it talking myself out of my first instinct.

TexasSixSeven

Observer
OP if you can get the 12,400 GVWR package. It’ll give you over 4500 lbs of payload on that setup, and would be highly beneficial for a camper setup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles