?’s about options on a custom order 2020 Ford F-350 6.2L gasser

LosAngeles

?’s about options on a custom order 2020 Ford F-350 6.2L gasser

I have a couple questions (below) but for clarity - the truck we are about to order (for our forthcoming, always mounted pop-up truck camper) is listed at the very bottom. This is our first ever truck purchase. Please be kind to us newbies. :)

so - do we want these following items that we are unsure on?

Unsure if we want the (approx $500) 5th-Wheel/Gooseneck Trailer Tow Prep Package (4X4) as I need to check with Pop Up Truck Camper manufacturer if we need the One (1) integrated 7-pin connector on driver's side pickup bed wall

Unsure if we want the (approx $1,000) Adaptive Steering System - Thoughts? “At lower speeds, the steering ratio decreases, requiring fewer turns of the steering wheel — and less steering effort. At higher speeds, the steering ratio gradually increases, producing a steering feel that is firmer and more controlled.”

Unsure if we want the BLIS® (Blind Spot Information System) with Cross-traffic Alert and Trailer Tow (approx $540) as I believe the width of the pop up truck camper will block the BLIS sensors, and make those little yellow lights always on. An owner of pop up camper made by same company, with a similar Ford, said his BLIS lights were always on when the camper was in the bed.

Unsure if we want the Exterior Backup Alarm. I hear it is as loud as heck, so would annoy neighbors at campsites, but it is a huge truck, and we will have to back out of our driveway, with big hedge up to sidewalk… …. I would never want to hit anyone! :-/ TBD

Unsure if we want the Black Hood Defector. (about $130)

Any info as to if the LED Headlamps/Taillamps (2019 = $1k option) will be standard on the 2020 Lariat? I hear rumors of YES. :)

Unsure if we want the “Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera System” ($1,000) to get the included “Customer-Placed Trailer Camera” (we would place it on the camper rear)
“customer-placed camera will provide a helpful view of what’s behind your trailer. Prep kit includes camera and wiring.

Unsure if we want the (approx $325) Wheel Well Liner - Front/Rear
Washing off the midwest road salt off the underside of the truck (at home) might be harder with these wheel well liners in place…. thoughts?

Running boards - i hear a lot of talk of rusting running boards. Thoughts on aftermarket ones that wont rust (we are in the midwest)?

THIS IS THE TRUCK WE ARE CUSTOM ORDERING:

2020, Ford F-350 , 8’ box-
6.2L V8 gasser, Single Rear Wheel (SRW) 4x4,
Rear Axle Ratio: 4.30 with Electronic Locking
11,4000 GVWR Package
(this GVWR means the tires change to LT275/70Rx18E BSW A/T, 4x4 Tires - at least in 2019….)
Camper Package (for sure, as we are getting a camper)
176” wheelbase (the longest possible)
10 speed transmission (new)
Lariat.
Crew cab (5 seater, with front center console)
Skid plates a la carte (not the FX4 package as the FX4 shocks are lousy)
Definitely want to include the Lariat VALUE PACKAGE (about $700) to get: “easy entry/exit memory driver’s seat, ….. power-adjustable pedals with memory, power heated/cooled driver and passenger seats with driver’s side memory, PowerScope® trailer tow mirrors with memory, and Remote Start System.”
Power Equipment Group - should be included in 2020 Lariat. We’ll need to double check. :)
(Don’t want the $2,000 Tow *Technology* package - we dont need those things as we hate towing and will *never* tow)
we want the Alternator - “Extra Extra Heavy-Duty” (approx $85)
we want the Engine Block Heater (about $100)
we do want the LED Roof Marker/Clearance Lamps (about $95)
we do want the (2nd) Medium Duty Battery (about $210) - this adds a 2nd battery.
We want the FIXED GLASS rear window. We do NOT want the Power sliding window (unless it is included no charge)
We do want the "Skid Plates - Transfer Case and Fuel Tank” (about $100) but NOT the cheesy FX4 package. (those shocks are lousy)
PowerScope® Telescoping Trailer Tow Mirrors are supposedly included. We want these for sure.
Tires included are: LT275/70Rx18E BSW A/T
Black Leather interior. (40/console/40 split bench seat)
Yes we want to get the Adaptive Cruise Control and Collision Warning with Brake Support. (may be included in 2020 Lariat)
We will do aftermarket 3rd party floor mats, and keep the stock carpeting.
we want “Inflatable Rear Outboard Safety Belts (Crew Cab®)” (about $200 (if available - heard rumors they are not available for 2020)
We want the “Universal Garage Door Opener” ($125)
We want the “Upfitter switches” ($165)

For a 2019 - List price at ford.com built this way is basically $62k. (plus tax, etc)

thanks!! :)

LosAngeles

hi AbleGuy

as our tailgate will be removed permanently ... it is my understanding that there is a connector under the truck somewhere - and for maybe about $150 I can buy a camera, wire and plug - 3rd party- and simply plug in this camera and mount it on the rear of the trailer. Simple and clean job. (Not sure about the loose wire up the back of the camper. TBD)

that way when the truck gets put in reverse - the new camera just appears as expected - on the stock dashboard 8” screen.
Has anyone here done this? ?

Rear cameras are great safety add ons, and on your rig that’s something you won’t feel is a waste of money. A factory built in one is nicer than an aftermarket because you don’t have to figure out where to mount an extra screen.

The issue you raised with the BLIS is one I hadn’t heard of before, so if you do get that and it turns out to be the problem you’re concerned about, please update us here. Working properly they are great. We have one on our Subaru and love it, and really wish we had one on our big F350 Tiger camper rig.

Don't know what camper you are planning for but depending on the overhang, the Marker lights may impart some glare reflecting off the overhang. Camper may already have marker lights.

For the rear camper, on mine i just ordered a replacement camera for the tailgate and mounted it on the back of the camper, as you are removing the tailgate (semi-permanently), you may be able to take it out and just use that one. Works exactly as stock.

With a Lariat package you will get many of the items, whether you want them or not, same with the FX4 package. You can either forgo everything, and get aftermarket (probably better individual items), or get the package and replace items you feel are substandard. No reason to get a 5th wheel tow package just for a bed mounted 7pin. Hallmark included and installed mine when i got my camper. You can get that extension easily from eTrailer. Its nice to get everything bundled in by the factory, but it probably costs more and may not really be that good (i.e. the so called "Rancho" shocks). It allows it all to be in that single transaction, especially if you finance, and you don't have to deal with multiple installers.

mobydick 11

I have been specking out f350 as well , if you can get it in your area look at the snow plow camper combo package . it increases spring rates alternator out put and has wiring hook up for the plow, that i think could be used for a winch . also i would look at the manual locking hubs and transfer case as well. I am still trying to figure out what all he differences are between a F250 and a F350

LosAngeles

Hi there Hopeless Diamond - thanks for all the good thoughts. :)

I'm so glad you mentioned possible glare from the cab-over-bed on the truck camper - over the optional marker lights

- yes this is a strong possibility, and it would bug me likely. Hmmmmm I have to rethink the clearance marker lights. :-/

(you) No reason to get a 5th wheel tow package just for a bed mounted 7pin. Hallmark included and installed mine when i got my camper.

Great to know! I'm getting a Hallmark as well. I assume you are happy with yours? Other than the very occasional, small issue, everyone I have spoken with who owns a Hallmark has been very happy.

Don't know what camper you are planning for but depending on the overhang, the Marker lights may impart some glare reflecting off the overhang. Camper may already have marker lights.

For the rear camper, on mine i just ordered a replacement camera for the tailgate and mounted it on the back of the camper, as you are removing the tailgate (semi-permanently), you may be able to take it out and just use that one. Works exactly as stock.

With a Lariat package you will get many of the items, whether you want them or not, same with the FX4 package. You can either forgo everything, and get aftermarket (probably better individual items), or get the package and replace items you feel are substandard. No reason to get a 5th wheel tow package just for a bed mounted 7pin. Hallmark included and installed mine when i got my camper. You can get that extension easily from eTrailer. Its nice to get everything bundled in by the factory, but it probably costs more and may not really be that good (i.e. the so called "Rancho" shocks). It allows it all to be in that single transaction, especially if you finance, and you don't have to deal with multiple installers.

LosAngeles

why not wait for the 7.3 vs the 6.2?

That “Godzilla” (Ford 7.3L Gas V-8) gasser is coming in 2020 - and we are getting a 2020

But many have advised me to stick with the tried and true 6.2 L v8 gasser.

I think I will.

the current 6.2L V8 produces 385 HP and 430 lb.-ft. of torque,

and the new 7.3L V8 produces 430 HP and 475 lb.-ft. of torque,

according to #’s just released by Ford, according to this (and a few other) websites.

So yes the 7.2 gasser has a bit more power, but to me not worth the risk of buying a first year new engine.

:)

LosAngeles

I have been specking out f350 as well , if you can get it in your area look at the snow plow camper combo package . it increases spring rates alternator out put and has wiring hook up for the plow, that i think could be used for a winch . also i would look at the manual locking hubs and transfer case as well. I am still trying to figure out what all he differences are between a F250 and a F350

Quite a few people have advised me to *not* get the snow plow package (nor the combo plow/camper package) as when you do the plow upgrade, it makes the front springs a lot more stiff, and that has a negative impact on the ride quality. As I will never plow snow, i will 100% avoid the plow package in any way shape or form.

(you) I am still trying to figure out what all he differences are between a F250 and a F350

I'm certainly no expert, but i *think* the 250 and 350 are very very similar... the F350 has more leafs in the springs i think.

just the 250 is a 3/4 ton truck, and as such has less rated GVWR and a bit less actual weight capacity. I believe they are the same frame, same body, same interior. Don't quote me tho. I'm new to all this. I'm sure a smarter person than me can chime in. :)

The Hallmark is great, the only problem is we don't get to use it as much as I would like, but that's probably the case for most of us and our toys.

Don't be scared off by a plow package, it'll give you heavier springs in the front yes, but also the bigger alternator. The ride difference would be negligible, especially with a loaded camper on the truck. Somewhere in the future you may decide you want to hang a winch and bumper on it (hopefully not one of the plate bumpers that look like a big goiter, but that's a personal decision :) ), or other things like a bike rack, cargo carrier, etc. Amazing what I've seen hanging off the front of vehicles.

For the most part, the only real difference between the 250 and 350 seems to be the rear springs and/or overload springs and the rear spring block is taller on the 350. I understand the 350 SRW will have GVWR up to 12,400. I believe they've maxed out at 11,500 before (where mine's at). That's a consideration depending on where you intend to license it. Some states get real costly for any vehicle over 10k. Which is why they have an option for both the 250 and 350 to have it tagged at 9999 on the nameplate.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
Get the 350 if it will be a camping truck. There is zero reason not to do so.

Also, get the 5th wheel prep package. Having the plug in the bed is a much nicer setup.

If you camper has a long overhang that goes all the way to the windshield I'd skip the overhead lights. They might cause glare from the bottom of the overhang.

$1000 for that steering upgrade is ridiculous. Are you sure it doesn't do something else?

You do not want the exterior backup alarm. You will cringe every time you pull into a campground and your neighbors will hate you before they even meet you.

I would definitely want the factory trailer cam. i ordered that on my 2019 Ram and think it will be a great option.

RedF

Adventurer
Is a locking rear diff an option?

You can buy a backup alarm and figure out how to wire it in, along with a cutoff switch for times you want to be more subtle. You can also buy volume adjusting alarms that sense ambient noise and self-adjust.

Can you get the dealer to throw in any of the aftermarket stuff you want, like floor liners or bug deflector?

LosAngeles

the good news is that I can (and will) order the extra extra heavy duty alternator so that takes care of that.

And as valid as all your reasons are for maybe getting the plow package - for obscure reasons I won’t bother getting into - we won’t. Thanks anyway tho. ?

The Hallmark is great, the only problem is we don't get to use it as much as I would like, but that's probably the case for most of us and our toys.

Don't be scared off by a plow package, it'll give you heavier springs in the front yes, but also the bigger alternator. The ride difference would be negligible, especially with a loaded camper on the truck. Somewhere in the future you may decide you want to hang a winch and bumper on it (hopefully not one of the plate bumpers that look like a big goiter, but that's a personal decision :) ), or other things like a bike rack, cargo carrier, etc. Amazing what I've seen hanging off the front of vehicles.

For the most part, the only real difference between the 250 and 350 seems to be the rear springs and/or overload springs and the rear spring block is taller on the 350. I understand the 350 SRW will have GVWR up to 12,400. I believe they've maxed out at 11,500 before (where mine's at). That's a consideration depending on where you intend to license it. Some states get real costly for any vehicle over 10k. Which is why they have an option for both the 250 and 350 to have it tagged at 9999 on the nameplate.

LosAngeles

yup going to get the electronic locking rear end. 4:30 ratio

and as we are saving $$$$$ by goi g thru a broker - And the dealer delivers it to our home, and we sign paperwork there (so awesome. Zero hassle)

thus the dealer won’t throw anything in, for sure.

cool to know about volume sensing aftermarket back up beepers. Anyone have a link? Web link to purchase.

Is a locking rear diff an option?

You can buy a backup alarm and figure out how to wire it in, along with a cutoff switch for times you want to be more subtle. You can also buy volume adjusting alarms that sense ambient noise and self-adjust.

Can you get the dealer to throw in any of the aftermarket stuff you want, like floor liners or bug deflector?

LosAngeles

......$1000 for that steering upgrade is ridiculous. Are you sure it doesn't do something else?

I simply copied / pasted the info off the FORD website - so yes - it only does what is stated above.

a couple people have said skip it - makes very little difference. I will skip it.
:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles