‘97 80 series trans question...

puravidafamily

Hey guys I just got a ‘97 with 212k on the clock. Over all in fantastic shape. All electronics work just a little seat damage and missing clear coat on the hood.
My question is: is it common when cruise control is on and going up a hill for these to hold 3rd gear for a long time?
So example would be, I have the cruise set at 70 and I start going up a steep hill. It down shifts into 3rd and continues up the hill. When it get to the top and it is flat road it will hold 3rd for like a good 5-10 seconds before up shifting.
Hit the same hill at the same speed not using cruise control and it will down shift and then as soon as you hit the flat on top and let off the throttle it up shifts instantly.
Thoughts?
Is this normal?
Doesn’t seem like a mechanical trans problem but like transmission computer fluke.

Thanks for the help everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1611Aviator

Mine doesn’t have cruise control but the trans holds third gear for a while unless I back off a fair bit after I’ve reached the top, it seems to only change if it’s not under load for me.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Common It will not up shift until the computer see a low enough load. You are able to upshift without CC just by backing off the pedal a split second and reducing the load.

MOAK

Adventurer
It has bothered me for years that it takes so long to upshift, so much so that I conducted an experiment because I believed the extended higher RPMs would correlate with lower MPGs. I was wrong. I used to upshift manually by simply pulling the stalk to coast, it would upshift then I'd "resume". Now after my experiment, I just let the computer do its thing as there is no difference in MPG either way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles