¿What tire size do you wish existed? But does not.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Some of us have to make compromises on tire sizing. Through the plethora of options, do you want a size that is simply not made? I do:
  1. 275/85R16 would have been ideal on my old LC80. A step up from the venerable 255s, but give a bit more width for larger vehicles,
  2. 255/80R18 keeps the skinny tire, a great aspect ratio and allows for more "modern" wheel sizing with larger brakes, or
  3. 275/75R18 could be another ideal size that keeps the tire a hair wider for those common 8" wheels, and keeps that diameter without quite pushing the 35" space.
What sizes would you like to see that are not made?

CampStewart

Observer
10 inch wide tires in 35 and 37 inch diameters. In a perfect world they would be available for 16.5 wheels for cheap double bead locks but 17 or 18 would probably be more realistic. I find that 12.5 and above widths and above tend to hydroplane in rain and snow on the road.

roving1

I wish 33x10.50's were still around.

I also wish premium snows were still available in 205/75R15. My 5lug 2WD Tacoma I can't get snow tires I really like because they are all small car diameter or huge truck diameter. Nothing is around 27.1" which is stock. Need 16 wheels to get what I want but don't want to bother with it since it's just my rusty commuter now.

nickw

Adventurer

I also wish premium snows were still available in 205/75R15. My 5lug 2WD Tacoma I can't get snow tires I really like because they are all small car diameter or huge truck diameter. Nothing is around 27.1" which is stock. Need 16 wheels to get what I want but don't want to bother with it since it's just my rusty commuter now.
10 inch wide tires in 35 and 37 inch diameters. In a perfect world they would be available for 16.5 wheels for cheap double bead locks but 17 or 18 would probably be more realistic. I find that 12.5 and above widths and above tend to hydroplane in rain and snow on the road.

There are 33 and 35 x 10.5 sizes out there, Kenda has a new tire that looks pretty good:

nickw

Adventurer
Agreed on the wide tire, I much prefer narrower tires, 10.5" and under, in the snow and slush.

nickw

Adventurer
Some of us have to make compromises on tire sizing. Through the plethora of options, do you want a size that is simply not made? I do:
  1. 275/85R16 would have been ideal on my old LC80. A step up from the venerable 255s, but give a bit more width for larger vehicles,
  2. 255/80R18 keeps the skinny tire, a great aspect ratio and allows for more "modern" wheel sizing with larger brakes, or
  3. 275/75R18 could be another ideal size that keeps the tire a hair wider for those common 8" wheels, and keeps that diameter without quite pushing the 35" space.
What sizes would you like to see that are not made?
I have 255/75R17's on my Ranger and love em. Seems like many of the newer IFS rigs need to run less offset than stock if a fella wants wider tires so they wont hit the UCA's. So my vote would be some taller skinnier tires. I referenced a few above, 33x10.5's for example, but would like some more 235 - 255's to be available in non-load range E. There are some, but several are only the 10 ply ones. I just got some 235/85R16 winter tires and could only find LR E...

jadmt

ignore button user

Bfg ko2 in 34x10.5-17 is a really a 32.5 tall tire and my falken 255/80-17 just slightly taller.

jadmt

ignore button user
Check out interco tires they make some skinny true 35’s

85_Ranger4x4

I often thought of going to 16" rims on my old truck to open a few options. The 235/85R16 is 31.7"x9.3" and works out pretty well since most seem to run slightly smaller than that.

16's just don't look right on a 80's compact though...

I am thinking about going from a mud tire to a more aggressive AT and see if that helps before I change wheels.

My big fear is that in 10 years the 15 is the new 14 and the 16 is the new 15 with dwindling options.

85_Ranger4x4

I think they look alright but that is certainly a matter of personal taste. Using 16" rims isn't unusual on global trucks. Toyota has put 16" (even split rims sometimes) on the Hilux for a long time, being more utilized commercially and that way they can share rims with Land Cruisers and not to mention run bigger rotors and calipers.

Well I am glad Ford didn't worry about making wheels interchangeable with the fullsizes... then I would have 16.5's to deal with lol.

I am weird, certain things look right for certain things. Older Toyotas have a bigger wheel with the thin body that give them kind of a scrappy look. Almost until the bitter end 15" was as big as it got for a Ranger... so that is what I am used to them having. It is a nitpicky thing but I want the truck to look kind of period correct.

It is neither here nor there but my truck is actually a former Burlington-Northern Railroad truck, that is why it is the weird green nobody has ever seen before. It was a custom ordered color.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles