¿Debo ir o quedarme?

Workingtheearth

Greetings to all from Ciudad De Mexico! This is my first post at the behest of several people who have suggested I share my trip on this forum.

I am currently solo traveling Mexico with plans to head into Central America in my Jeep TJ nicknamed the Yellow Submarine. As I am already months into this trip, I’m going to summarize my progress up to this point and then continue with updates from here on. I’ve been active on Instagram through the duration of the trip and my handle on there is @Workingtheearth

E5DDD0A3-394C-45C9-B73F-9C518D513D27.jpeg

As of my writing this I have been on the road for 9 months. Covering nearly 20,000 miles from South Florida across 18 US States and into Mexico. I’ve visited 60+ National Parks, Monuments, and Forests. I’ve run several famous overlanding routes including El Malpais, The White Rim Trail, The Lost Coast, and the entirety of the Baja Peninsula. I’ve also done a significant amount of wheeling along the way. Including a little rollover mishap in Moab.

This trip has had its up’s, down’s, sideways, and been fraught with mortal peril at certain points. I’ve encountered just about every type of weather there is. Tropical systems, sandstorms, snow, sleet, hail, rain, fog, and wildfire smoke. A barely tolerable level of filth pervades everything. Equipment breakage and malfunction have been frequent and to be expected at this point. Thankfully the Yellow Submarine hasn’t left me stranded yet. Even through the daily abuse.

The Jeep:

2001 Jeep TJ 2.5L
Ford 8.8 & HP D30 4.88
Metalcloak 3.5” Lift
Teraflex Antirock Front
BFG K02 32”
Titan 14.5 gal Auxiliary Fuel Tank

55ABE774-F45F-449B-8646-82004F281CEC.jpeg

Living Accommodations:
Outfitting this thing for long term use took a lot of planning and excellent spatial relations to accomplish. My goal for my build was to be able to carry everything I need to be self sufficient for a week at a time AND be able to sleep INSIDE. Also due to the anemic 2.5l engine in the Jeep I wanted to keep weight and wind drag low, so a RTT was out of the question. The passenger seat was removed to make room for a full length sleeping platform and storage below. The passenger footwell now houses my secondary battery which is dual charged by either the alternator when running or a 100W solar panel fixed onto the roof. This provides ample electricity for my fridge, house lights, and air compressor for running water. The running water is accomplished via 2 modified jerry cans equipped with a spigot, hose, and tire valve. I flick the switch of my compressor and voila, instant pressurized water. On board I am carrying a full tool set, spare parts, fluids, first aid kit, EPIRB, clothing, bedding, toiletries, books, food, a single burner stove, and full cookware. Talk about the old saying of stuffing ten gallons of crap into a five gallon bucket.

075DC63D-4798-42F4-A1BD-DAF396F2BB07.jpeg

A few highlights so far:

Key West, FL Mile 0
4D8087F8-D811-45CD-9ECA-1877690E77B2.jpeg

Imogene Pass, CO
385F8356-A98F-43B5-9213-FC063A96C282.jpeg

Aspen, CO
E82063BF-1593-4575-9184-F527DA4B00C5.jpeg

El Malpais, NM
1D2924FA-C630-4A3D-A41D-CCC96C647820.jpeg

Moab, UT Rollover
07B7A22B-73CC-47C5-8669-6DBA095A6DB5.jpeg

Teton NP, WY Grizzly Sighting
AD81B4B3-A0B6-42FB-B03A-F966826E1C3E.jpeg

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Great pictures....pls post more!

The shots of the bears is wilds! I’ve never seen a sow with that many cubs. I know there aren’t a lot of unpaved roads in the park, so can you share that location? Was that the one off to the Blacktail Plateau loop?

Workingtheearth

Great pictures....pls post more!

The shots of the bears is wilds! I’ve never seen a sow with that many cubs. I know there aren’t a lot of unpaved roads in the park, so can you share that location? Was that the one off to the Blacktail Plateau loop?
This was in the trailhead parking lot of the Two Ocean Lake. I was actually on foot finishing the loop hike at the time, and my timing was right because the pack went right down the trail I had come from. If I’d have been a minute or two slower, I probably wouldn’t be in Mexico City right now

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Question:

?

Answer:
Keep on trucking guy, or if I have this right, ¡sigue manejando el camion!

Workingtheearth

Some more updates of my progress! I am currently hanging out on the coast of Oaxaca and have been splitting my time between the beaches and the mountains. I’ve been moving at a pretty rapid pace through the country over the last several weeks and it’s been quite nice to slow down the pace a little bit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94