Expedition Portal

J
JJD22
wondering the same today
RoninWanderer
RoninWanderer
Oh Hi, sorry, apparently I have never seen @YukonHunter message. My bad. Long story short, we sold the Khaya to a Tundra owner. It was too small for our longer family trips and way, way too heavy for a built-up Tacoma. The CoG and weight balance was not good for technical terrain and I destroyed a rear axle and a few CVs.
RoninWanderer
RoninWanderer
We are about to pick up our off road trailer in a few weeks and that’ll be our new platform. We also used a RTT over the bed for the past year and a half after we sold the Khaya.

The truck liked that weight/balance much better. As for how to handle the weight, I went with OME BP 51 suspension, but upgraded the leaf pack to the Hilux version and also added air bags.
RoninWanderer
RoninWanderer
When the air bags were not being used, there was some slight sag in the back, but the suspension handled the weight decently well.

Remember, the beds of Tacoma’s are basically plastic so we were seeing stress marks on the bed mounts from the weight of the camper, which ended up being much more than they had advertised to me when we initially made the purchase.
RoninWanderer
RoninWanderer
The rear axle combined with 35” tires did not like the weight and there was a lot of weight that extended behind the rear axle. I re-geared my 2nd Gen to 4.88’s and that has been great for off road and around town, but guzzles gas at speeds over 65.