Wavian vs Vevor Jerry Cans

Goober

Adventurer
Got tired of the plastic fuel cans that I could never get to seal very well around the threaded nozzles and the carb compliant valves that take three hands to operate so I decided to get a Nato style can made by Wavian for my diesel. When I went to purchase one for gas I saw the Vevor cans online that were cheaper and bought one. Well, it's cheaper alright and the first time I used it the nozzle that came with it leaks fuel. The seam on the Vevor is not recessed and subject to being damaged while the Wavian is recessed which is the way the original cans were designed. Welds on the Wavian are much better also. In this photo the Vevor is on the left side and Wavian on the right. Note also that the Wavian has a clip for the nozzle the Vevor doesn't.

On the Vevor can is only sold on their website and they are controlling the reviews. They sent me an email with a link to "leave positive reviews here". I left a 3 star review and they didn't post it. Go figure.

Nato has been using Wavian cans for 75 years. Jerry-Cans.jpg

Cheaper for a reason?

PSA - the Wavian plastic fuel nozzle doesn't like -30f. Still have a piece of it on our tank...20200303_100243(2).jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: J!m
Both spouts are not desirable- Have in mind that (NATO) Jerry cans are mainly intended for Diesel (STANAG), not for gas. The spout is available with a very long, small ventilation tube. Also as a solid pipe without the flex, which makes pouring drip free and extremly fast.

If you still have issues with dripping then use a punch and bend the "ears" on the can neck a little downward to ensure a tight fit of the filler cap. This also helps with sealing the lid properly.
After all these cans are mass produced and not that expensive.
For this reason I do use stainless steel Jerry Cans , made for laboratory work. They do offer a screw on lid made of Viton. Also the spout is screwed on. No drips, no spill!
Yeah, the price tag... buy once, cry once.

And NO- Wavian nor Vevor aren't NATO Suppliers- just checked it. The number you see on top is just the stamp to use the can on public transport according to safety regulation. No 13 digit order number...

Attachments

• jerry.jpg
    jerry.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Depends on much you can or want to spend. Expect minimum 240€ per can + shipping+ tax.
Better ones are electrolytical polished and start at 360€+ due to the components being used.

douglastic

My only experience with VEVOR was horrific. Shockingly terrible product. I was embarrassed for them.

I will never buy anything from them again, and recommend others do not.

alia176

Explorer
My only experience with VEVOR was horrific. Shockingly terrible product. I was embarrassed for them.

I will never buy anything from them again, and recommend others do not.

My GF bought a Vevor diesel heater that I installed in her camper and I was impressed by the whole package. The actual quality of the heater remains to be seen after the camping season is over but the kit included everything plus a little extra. A decent bang for the buck. This has been my only Vevor experience and they seem to have a huge Amazon presence.

J!m

I use "pre-loved" NATO cans. OD green but for the ones I used for Gasoline, I sprayed the spouts OSHA safety red to ID them.

When we were prepping for Africa, we bought a skid of them surplus. Zero problems and reasonable price for the (high) quality.

Reactions: WVI

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94