2012 ER 34K Miles $275K

taylor3633

Observer
This is the one with the bunks... Actually a pretty cool setup for a young family (like mine). And a young 6.7 is certainly appealing.

zip

I prefer social distancing.
This is the one with the bunks... Actually a pretty cool setup for a young family (like mine). And a young 6.7 is certainly appealing.

I believe that 2011 was the first year for the 6.7, and there were issues with the bearings in the turbo. Supposedly those were fixed when the 2012 vehicles were built.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper

This one's been for sale for a while...

I really don't see the appeal of these things in the US. Lotta money to have an offroad RV that doesn't even fit secondary vehicles.
What do you mean by it can't fit a secondary vehicle? Looks like there is a hitch above the rear winch. So you could tow a trailer with a SxS, small 4x4, motorbikes, etc... Or are you referring to something else?

brewstocker

What do you mean by it can't fit a secondary vehicle? Looks like there is a hitch above the rear winch. So you could tow a trailer with a SxS, small 4x4, motorbikes, etc... Or are you referring to something else?

In my head I'm comparing it to a fully decked out 170wb 4x4 Sprinter van or a 450/550 series 4x4 Ambulance designed around a big gear garage. Without the need to tow a trailer you'd be able to go more places than the ER. Where are you even going to go offroad with a 50 foot long rig? Some easily accessible campsites in Moab?.. Baja?

I look around and most RVs aren't designed with garages anyway, so it's probably just me. Maybe the target market is a 4+ person family who just wants to hike and fish and drive a 30 foot truck around to every single place they need to go.

Please feel free to enlighten me if I'm way off base, I'm genuinely curious.

rawtoxic

I used to want an ER before I started realizing that smaller/shorter is better in Western US. Unless we're talking about penis size - than I need an ER - biggest one you can get because this is Merica.

That being said, I do dig some of the older first ER's. Especially maybe a single cab ER. The new ones are too over the top. Right now I'm favoring building out a Starflyte or a Kodiak Ambo maybe International Fire Crew truck.

In my head I'm comparing it to a fully decked out 170wb 4x4 Sprinter van or a 450/550 series 4x4 Ambulance designed around a big gear garage. Without the need to tow a trailer you'd be able to go more places than the ER. Where are you even going to go offroad with a 50 foot long rig? Some easily accessible campsites in Moab?.. Baja?

I look around and most RVs aren't designed with garages anyway, so it's probably just me. Maybe the target market is a 4+ person family who just wants to hike and fish and drive a 30 foot truck around to every single place they need to go.

I would completely agree. I don’t see the allure of these unless you are only going hiking or riding bicycles. There is absolutely no storage besides what is in the boxes on the back. You would think for a 30’ vehicle they would figure out some way to add a ton of storage on the outside. I think the Winnebago Ekko at 22’ has way more storage with its large “garage”.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper

Oh, no clue myself. I was just curious if I was misunderstanding what you were saying.
I would equate this to a class C with a 4x4 conversion. Probably similar use cases?

taylor3633

Observer
1670433117633.png

They are big but they are good for more then just the campground.

lucilius

View attachment 755557
They are big but they are good for more then just the campground.
That's a good driver....and note he's on the small 295/60r22 tires in what appears to be an 08-10 F550 ER. One shortfall in the ER design is the lack of a "gear garage". That said, you can fit a decent amount of kit in the rear gear lockers and storage boxes plus bike rack. My guess is the designers hit the limit with 90gal fresh water, 90gal diesel, shower, toilet dining area, king-size bed, kitchen, etc. some folks want for comfortable ~2 adults+2 kids camping year round with decent offroad 4x4 ability....the gear garage unfortunately didn't or couldn't make the cut. They might have designed a rear lift to hold spare wheels (2 better than 1), a large gear box and mount for a motorcycle and/or bunch of bicycles but that would be putting more weight on a rear axle that is already bearing ~twice the load vs the front axle. ER works hard to keep the full Ford warranty on all the "Ford" components (engine, chassis, etc.) which might also limit the amount of wiggle room the designers had. One issue putting trailers on these rigs is the hitch height. My hitch receivers are 36" off the ground on the ~43" tires. There are ways to hook up a trailer of course but it is more complex than on a regular truck, especially planning for offroad driving not blowing down the highway in a truck pulling a flatbed trailer, a couple of sidexsides and yetis full of dogs and cold ones for another type of fun altogether. Another issue is weight. ER's weigh16k-21k lbs+ loaded (the newer ones, XVLTS/XVLTSS, are longer and heavier than the older ones...no idea re the carbon fiber LTI model weight fully loaded) and, depending on trailer weight, could get close to what engine and chassis can safely handle+what the driver wants to handle. That said, it would be easy to pull a jeep but no real reason for most to do so unless real wheeling is the task at hand. They are actually pretty capable offroad, great in snow&ice with the right tires, and not much longer than a longbed full-size pickup. Height and width are probably the number two and three challenges to offroading with the number one issue being driver experience, prudence and confidence limits. If Hertz rental cars rented out Earthroamers we'd probably see some great video on youtube showing just how far these things can be pushed but until then, ER drivers out there are definitely going to have a lot of fun but probably miss out on some of the more extreme routes simply due to size. There will always be highly-polished, rarely driven garage & driveway queens plus bad drivers getting all sorts of good trucks in bad situations to make the youtube hitlist.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles