2022 RAM 5500 Composite "Super Camper"

2 bikes 2 brown dogs

Nice distribution panels. I was looking for a combined AC/DC w/ the same position count but couldn't find an thing that wasn't either massively over sized and/or realllllll expensive.
I hadn't seen Paneltronics 12 position for sale and didnt know they existed until your photos. Digging through their catalog it looks like you may have models 5201 DC 12 Position & 5301 AC 12 Position? Could you let me where you bought them and what the lead time and cost was (ball park)?

StenchRV

Nice distribution panels. I was looking for a combined AC/DC w/ the same position count but couldn't find an thing that wasn't either massively over sized and/or realllllll expensive.
I hadn't seen Paneltronics 12 position for sale and didnt know they existed until your photos. Digging through their catalog it looks like you may have models 5201 DC 12 Position & 5301 AC 12 Position? Could you let me where you bought them and what the lead time and cost was (ball park)?

You are correct 5201 and 5301. They were $350 each all wired up with the breakers of your choice.
I spent the last few days wiring them up and they are well made and pretty easy to work with.
Still LOTS of wires in one place. Having an auto stop crimper and good connectors helped a BUNCH!
I had an aviation grade crimper but this model with the interchangeable dies worked GREAT!

I ordered the panels directly from Paneltronics in Florida and our lead time was about 4 weeks.
Here is who I dealt with. Nice guy!

Frank Armstrong

Account Manager

PANELTRONICS, INC

11960 NW 87th Court

Hialeah Gardens, FL 33018

Direct: 786-471-0629 - NEW

Tel: 305-823-9777 Ext: 244

Fax: 305-823-7802

franka@paneltronics.com

www.paneltronics.com

CHEERS!!

Craig

StenchRV

Well after a few long build months and the last 12 days of 10 hour days we are taking Manny, we picked a name (short for Emmanuel), out for a trip! It is my wife's birthday weekend, who needs a better excuse!

We will be "mini" camping in the rig but a getaway is NEEDED! We have food, power, a bed, a cooler, jug water, and a sink hooked to a grey tank.....oh and maybe box wine and some beers!

Will get a weight ticket on the way to Overland Expo East. My wife went alone, I was at the Talladega race track, 3 years ago and came home excited! The straw that broke the camels back...LOL! It was build time! THANKS again to EVERYONE who shares their build experience and knowledge with the rest of us. Hope to get some ideas and see some friends :)

Interior progress. Distribution panels are wired up.
IMG_6296.jpeg
IMG_6297.jpeg
All the controls in before we mount the fridge. Shower plumbing next. Then the fridge goes in!

IMG_6313.jpeg
Getting some vitamin D! Checking the solar input and will wash the dust off!

CHEERS!!

Craig

Vance Vanz

Hey Craig,

Sorry for the belated reply.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the Odie's dark finish comes out. It looks like it will hold some of the lighter aspects, but also darken everything else up nicely. It will be a good contrast against the white walls. Yes, definitely put a least a few clear coats over everything. It's time consuming work, but well worth the effort.

I am considering going darker on this build for my bamboo, so it nice to see your choice of stain. On my previous van, two stains were mixed to get the golden look. It took many attempts. MINWAX Colonial Maple was the base/primary color and a darker stain was added just to get it to darken up a touch. I cant remember what darker stain was added. I wasn't a fan of the natural bamboo, too light and it will turn a yellow color as the sun hits it over time, and the carbonized bamboo was not dark enough for me, too flat for a darker color.

Thanks for sharing what blade you used. Those small nuggets of info save a lot of time researching and testing samples.

Keep at it; you're getting close.

StenchRV

We enjoyed the trip! Now back to WORK!

I took the truck out for a test run on Monday before we left. I found that the factory track bar and the Buck Stop track bar relocation bracket made the front axle favor the drivers side. I knew it would due to the fact the BS bracket is made for a larger lift than I am running. Not bad, except for the fact the factory welded the bump stop bracket a little outboard of the frame towards my passenger air bag. The drivers side bump stop bracket is welded directly under the frame. I could have just ground 3/16" off the passenger side bump stop bracket....BUT :)

THANK YOU Kevin, @RAM 5500 CAMPERTHING, for letting me know that Suspension Maxx made an adjustable track bar for our RAM 5500. I ordered one a few weeks ago and it arrived the week before the trip.....SO...I dug into the truck the day before we left. Installed the adjustable track bar, a few test runs and adjustments to make it perfect, recenter the steering wheel, and DONE!

FYI...The Suspension Maxx track bar is a TIGHT fit into the factory track bar bracket. Like rubber mallet tight. Almost machined a few thousandths off the track bar. See below. A call to Suspension Maxx to let them know might be needed. An Instagrammer reached out to my wife and had the same issue.

There have been MANY conversations on the inter web about speedometer correction for the 2022 model year. Kevin was kind enough to ship me his Hypertech computer to try. It works for the 2020 model, figured what the heck. Well it does not work. It recognizes the truck but you can not get into the trucks computer with it. The underside of the 2022 dash looks COMPLETELY different than the 2020 in the videos. A few RAM forums mention NAV auto correct after 100 miles on the 2500, 3500. I can say after 1000 miles it does not work either. I called Hypertech and they do not have a test truck for the 2022 and do not have a fix either. There is a small town RAM 5500 dealer close, so a call to them in the next few weeks. It can be done, just need the "keys" to the computer :)

The truck does not like the low tire pressures on the MPT tires. I ran 50 PSI all around on the trip out and 45 in the front on the way home. You get a service the TPMS alert on the dash screen at every start up. NO ding or alert light. I will get the dealer to lower the values there if I can. I figure when the truck is finished, according to the MPT PSI weight chart I found, I will be around 60 PSI rear and 45 PSI on the front.

PROGRESS:

Started on the bathroom walls and plumbing and BOXES. I happen to know a computer guru, and great fabricator, who works at a large multi location fabrication shop. https://www.ranews.com I gave him a few drawings and specs and they are making up the boxes. We ordered stainless steel latches from McMaster Carr and hopefully in a few weeks we will have 4 cargo boxes. The drivers rear will be used to hide/house the shower grey tank, insulated and a heat pad just in case. There will enough room left in that box for all the water and drain hoses. Small passenger rear will be recovery gear.
The two larger side boxes will follow the body lines and have an angle to make a wheel well.
YES.....Kevin I copied your 2 saddle boxes! I can not wait to get them on the truck because your truck with the boxes looks GREAT!

In a fellow RAM5500 owners driveway in SC on the way to the EXPO. Nice couple and beautiful place.
IMG_6413.jpeg

Time for the rubber mallet and a drift. Adjusted it to almost there and gave it a nudge :)
IMG_6311.jpeg

I think we stand out! We gave a bunch of happy hour tours and there were a LOT of photos of our rig.
Not many like us there but it was a well attended and good EXPO.
IMG952022100795184917.jpg

VHB for spacing and then Korpop glue used on the bathroom panels.
IMG_6342.jpeg

3 down one to go. Will build the door wall next and get the bathroom sealed up. All the holes are drilled for the plumbing and the shower head. I want a fridge and a shower next time out :)
IMG_6343.jpeg

STOKED! Recovery gear box. Will be mounted rear of the steps.
PXL_20221015_024538262.jpg

One of the side saddle boxes. The drivers rear will look very similar but the back of the box will be screwed on instead of welded on to install the grey tank and plumb the shower drain inside the box.
Both rear boxes have a departure angle. Like in the small box picture.
PXL_20221015_024452762.jpg

BACK TO WORK!

CHEERS!!

Last edited:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
The truck does not like the low tire pressures on the MPT tires. I ran 50 PSI all around on the trip out and 45 in the front on the way home. You get a service the TPMS alert on the dash screen at every start up. NO ding or alert light. I will get the dealer to lower the values there if I can. I figure when the truck is finished, according to the MPT PSI weight chart I found, I will be around 60 PSI rear and 45 PSI on the front.

The service TPMS system light is because the system is looking for the other 2 sensors from the dually wheels. Not the tire pressure.

I’ve been unsuccessful eliminating it, buts it’s been a non issue whatsoever in 10k miles

Truck is coming along awesome man

StenchRV

The service TPMS system light is because the system is looking for the other 2 sensors from the dually wheels. Not the tire pressure.

I’ve been unsuccessful eliminating it, buts it’s been a non issue whatsoever in 10k miles

Truck is coming along awesome man

Thanks for the info kind Sir! And the kind words! YOU know the work involved :)

CHEERS!!

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Hey @StenchRV

Now that you got the flares installed, guess what?

Buckstop just announced/debuted their new ones at SEMA that look much more modern and follow the lines a lot better, and hide the mounting screws.

Guess what just moved to the top of my priority list now??? :p

Damn, i hate my current flares!

Excited for these:

flares.jpg

StenchRV

Hey @StenchRV

Now that you got the flares installed, guess what?

Buckstop just announced/debuted their new ones at SEMA that look much more modern and follow the lines a lot better, and hide the mounting screws.

Guess what just moved to the top of my priority list now??? :p

Damn, i hate my current flares!

Excited for these:

View attachment 750357

ALWAYS the way! Get something done and the newest and greatest comes out!

My wife dislikes our current flares more than I do, but I still do not like them either!

She sent me a picture of that truck yesterday :) Not sure if I am sold on that design but I like the fact they follow the lines MUCH better and hide the mounting screws. We ordered flat furniture allen head screws to mount ours with. Maybe they even fixed the inner fender liner gap issue!

Can not wait to see them on your truck! :cool: Paint them to match ? :)

CHEERS!!

Craig

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne

Members online