Thoughts on 2023 Ford Super Duty for Family Travel?

montypower

Adventure Time!
I'm old school... so I'd avoid the "newest tech". I like proven older things (especially for off road travels). 6.2L is a solid, proven motor and plenty powerful (especially coming from Toyota). 7.3L is getting some miles and time under it but still newer.

Forget the Tremor. You can add 4.30 gears and rear locker to a base XL (like ours) for way way less money. The front limited slip is clutch based. It will never 100% lock up or 100% unlock. This is less than ideal in most all conditions. Fully open differential is best in the snow/ice. Fully locked up is best off road. We've been very happy with the OX air locker (easy addition aftermarket).

Shortest wheelbase is best for off road and parking. We love our extended cab. This is the smallest cab yet has similar space as the previous generation crew cab. All these cabs have become massive. Turning and maneuvering these trucks is important to consider unless it's hwy cruiser. Especially if coming from Toyota that actually has a good turning circle.

Custom order is an excellent option! We love our vinyl seats (which are legit nice), vinyl flooring, aux switches, rear locker, 4.30 gears and more... It's nice you can buy the "essential" off road gear from Ford without buying expensive packages.

Macfly

I came from an FJ80, which I loved to drive, but the packing & unpacking just became too much too, hence my move up to an F350 SuperCab with a 6’6” bed to build a long term liveaboard. I looked at a lot of units before taking the plunge, and more than anything I’d recommend visiting one of the OverlandExpo shows, that’s how I came to make all my decisions.

Explorerinil

Observer
I'm old school... so I'd avoid the "newest tech". I like proven older things (especially for off road travels). 6.2L is a solid, proven motor and plenty powerful (especially coming from Toyota). 7.3L is getting some miles and time under it but still newer.

Forget the Tremor. You can add 4.30 gears and rear locker to a base XL (like ours) for way way less money. The front limited slip is clutch based. It will never 100% lock up or 100% unlock. This is less than ideal in most all conditions. Fully open differential is best in the snow/ice. Fully locked up is best off road. We've been very happy with the OX air locker (easy addition aftermarket).

Shortest wheelbase is best for off road and parking. We love our extended cab. This is the smallest cab yet has similar space as the previous generation crew cab. All these cabs have become massive. Turning and maneuvering these trucks is important to consider unless it's hwy cruiser. Especially if coming from Toyota that actually has a good turning circle.

Custom order is an excellent option! We love our vinyl seats (which are legit nice), vinyl flooring, aux switches, rear locker, 4.30 gears and more... It's nice you can buy the "essential" off road gear from Ford without buying expensive packages.
6.2 is no longer offered in 2023.

billiebob

Now, I admit I haven't actually tried these out yet (they already exist on F150s) but I'm thinking that these lay-flat seats could make a great bed option (for at least the next few years) for the kids
yep,an old idea comes back....

Nash, Rambler, AMC offered sleeper seats from the 1920s thru the 1960s.

239767880_10165529161095072_3474478113599072049_n.jpg

The ultimate date night car.... even better than a bench seat.
No wonder the baby boomer generation happened.
182256981_2270529699743664_4729802249808596093_n.jpeg

Last edited:

SootyCamper

I abused my tremor, like seriously abused it. High speed Baja style off roading, sand dune climbing(and jumping), high speed water/puddle crossings, deep snow high rpm thrashing.

Only thing that went wrong: heat shield fell off $200 CAD parts and labor to fix. A friend of mine also had a 2020 tremor and he did have issues will the hub seals(the fix is to replace with aftermarket hubs from WARN) , but he's also a psychopath and is in FULLSEND mode 100 percent of the time.

22L per 100kms with truck camper in box, avg speed 120km/h. Averaged around 16L/100km in town. Longest fuel range 810kms full to empty, shortest was 240kms(hard off road)

Immediately after buying it I took it on a 8000km road trip to the Yukon with my composites camper in the back. I had zero issues, only mod I'd add is a rear sway bar if you're thinking of using for a slide in camper. My truck had 11400lb gvwr and 3900lbs and it handled everything I threw at it without complaint.

I regret selling it back to the dealer. But cash talks and I made money on a gas engine truck ?. I am a die hard Toyota elitist (4runner then fj cruiser,now gx460), the tremor was my first domestic and I'd buy it again. In fact I'm considering a reg cab chassis cab with the 7.3 for a dedicated custom built mini earthroamer for my next camper.

Grassland

"22L per 100kms with truck camper in box, avg speed 120km/h. Averaged around 16L/100km in town. Longest fuel range 810kms full to empty, shortest was 240kms(hard off road)"

Man that's reasonable fuel economy for a massive V8 in a big truck with poor aerodynamics.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Something to bear in mind.... Ford is currently deleting Max Recline from F150 build due to parts shortages.

So, it's possible you may not even be able to order it. If you can, be prepared for a long wait to get your truck. The more chips the more chances you could be put on a chip hold and the truck parked in a field or lot waiting for a chip to be installed.

A truck with Max Recline seats will likely be heavy in the chip dept if it follows the F150's lead of not making Max Recline seats an option until you hit the King Ranch trim. Who knows. Maybe Super Duty will be different.

For what it's worth, it looks like a very nice truck. Love the new box side and bumper steps.

Screenshot 2022-10-03 114845.png

If it were me, I'd get an F350 with camper that can sleep 4 (hard wall or pop up, take you pick) and forgo the Max recline.

Grasslakeron

Explorer
truck davenport.jpg
I have a 21 f350 supercab long bed with the 7.3 and 4.30's. it's a perfect overland setup. We use a leer 122 cap which allows us a queen size bed and a composting toilet. The truck is a XL with the camper/snow plow package giving us a 4741 lb payload. Skid plates, rear locker and 33's. Gas mileage is 15-16 mpg on my commute loop. Best tank 17.3. The rear box is the camp kitchen.

Last edited:

TexasSixSeven

Observer
I love my 22’ Tremor, but I miss my 17’ 350 CCLB. If I was to reorder today I’d go with a 22’ 350 CCLB 7.3 XLT FX4 4.30 gears, then spend the saved money on suspension, tires, and armor. My Carli 2.5” springs with Accutune Fox 2.0s is a much better ride all the way around than my Tremor suspension was

Grasslakeron

Explorer
View attachment 745626
I have a 21 f350 supercab long bed with the 7.3 and 4.30's. it's a perfect overland setup. We use a leer 122 cap which allows us a queen size bed and a composting toilet. The truck is a XL with the camper/snow plow package giving us a 4741 lb payload. Skid plates, rear locker and 33's. Gas mileage is 15-16 mpg on my commute loop. Best tank 17.3. The rear box is the camp kitchen.
20220704_105229.jpg20220625_091810.jpg

Ninelitetrip

That’s job 1… another order bank will open.

Late Availability Series & Features Launching With Job 2
● Orders can be placed at Job 1 but will not schedule until Job 2: — King Ranch, Platinum, and Limited Trim Levels
● Features not available to order at Job 1. Content will be available to order when Job 2 order bank opens in February 2023. Dealers should assign Priority Code 99 to orders for customers who would like to wait for Job 2 content:

• — 3.55 Electronic-Locking Final Drive Ratio with Diesel Engines (Available J1 on Tremor / Available J2 on F-250/F-350 SRW without Tremor)
  • — 360-Degree Trailer Camera System (J2 availability on all trim levels)
  • — 5th Wheel/Gooseneck Trailer BLIS System (J2 availability on all trim levels)
  • — Black Appearance Package (J2 availability on XLT/Lariat)
  • — CNG/Propane Gaseous Engine Prep Package (J2 availability
    on XL with 6.8L Gas Engine)
  • — Onboard Scales & Smart Hitch (J2 availability on Lariat, King
    Ranch, Platinum, and Limited) – Feature estimates cargo weight in real time and provides guidance on trailer tongue weight distribution
  • — Pro Trailer Hitch Assist (J2 availability on all trim levels within Tow Technology Package) – Feature automatically backs the truck up and aligns the conventional hitch ball to the trailer receiver
  • — Programmable and Connected Ford Pro Upfit Integration System (J2 availability on all trim levels) – Feature adds ability for upfitter to customize controls and program operating rules

Last edited:

Trixxx

I absolutely love my 2020 F250 Tremor. I have the 6.7 so can’t speak on the 7.3. I also have a 7 year 125k mile warranty.

Have 40k on it and it’s been amazing. Couple small issues easily sorted by Ford.

I was torn between this and a 2020 LC and don’t regret it at all. Love the space, power, range, etc.

Attachments

• 3106499A-352D-4680-82EC-28FB117CF93D.jpeg
    3106499A-352D-4680-82EC-28FB117CF93D.jpeg
    337.4 KB · Views: 45

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles