2019 F350 6.2L 4WD build thread; HPI flatbed, ATO AterraXL composite camper, Carli/King, 37s, 4.88s, etc

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Ran into a guy at a truck dealer trying to trade in his Ford for a Tacoma so he could put a rooftop tent on it :rolleyes:

View attachment 742497

Na, , , it looks awesome in person, even better than in the photos. A very balanced looked, with the camper looking 'lightweight' due to the angled roof IMO. That really breaks up its size on both the sides and the cab overhang. Plus the HPI flatbed looks like it could haul the space shuttle, so a very strong low look. Dang, HPI does some beautiful work! Another thing I like is the narrow front box (many 10ish inches), not too fat, tons of useful storage, and it puts the camper back just enough for a very balanced look on the wheelbase.

The 37" are almost flush (maybe 1/4ish in the front) and look great with the Carli suspension. It has a very custom/complete look with the custom radius rods and remote shocks, looking very race-like. I am also diggin' the camper inside. A very useful layout and again I like the angled roof from the inside. I'm sure that is a lot of extra work, but it sure pays off. A very solid combination.

Normally I could find a 'suggestion' or two, but I think @mk216v has hit this one out of the park!

Hehe, it was fun meeting up with you so you could see it in the flesh Mark. Thx for lunch as well!
I appreciate your kind words, especially from you who's had/have many awesome rigs.

HPI definitely does gorgeous work. I am SO glad I stayed local and didn't go with the other option I was looking at at the time years ago. They absolutely nailed the fit/finish, and a lot of that success is attributed to Mario/team at ATO for providing accurate camper data which HPI's engineers could work from, for as Aaron@HPI said, if ATO's data would have been off, HPI would have been off, and that would have made for one cranky Tacoma1AB. :p
I was telling Aaron that the only change I would probably make (if I were to do it again) would be to have them paint the crossover/tunnel box body color vs powdercoat black. This way the crossover box wouldn't break up the flow of white. But I plan to do my dolphins in the mountains graphic to blend it all together anyways.

Weights...I got more confirming weights from 2 different ODOT scales, and they were about 50lbs apart. Here's the data;
4900lbs F
5950lbs R (how 'bout those weight splits, eh?)
= 10,850lbs total
This was with 1/2 tank, so take another 30gal capacity (to make a full 60gal tank) x 6lbs/gal = 180lbs....so just over 11,000lbs with full fuel tank.
Now, this is with only about 5gal of water in the 30gal Aterra tank, so another 25gal of water x 8lbs/gal = 200lbs. So, 11,200lbs.
Add in dry and fresh food, a bit more gear I'll add to the storage boxes....figure maybe 11,500lbs total total? Still not eclipsing 12,000lbs.
EAT it @RAM5500 CAMPERTHING . :ROFLMAO:

Some more pics (a bit comical that the first night I used the camper I find myself in a noisy Pilot truck stop);
HPI1.jpg

HPI2.jpg

HPI3.jpg

HPI4.jpg

HPI5.jpg

HPI6.jpg

HPI7.jpg

HPI8.jpg

HPI9.jpg

Last edited:

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Looking good. Have you been able to weigh the vehicle? Claimed weight of the camper is very attractive and I‘d love to see that confirmed. Have they delivered any of the second version of the camper yet?

See above. Camper weighs in just a bit more than on the ATO site, with my options. Figure ~1750lbs max.
I haven't heard about v2 camper ETA. Yeah, I'd rather have my windows raised a few inches (one of the v2 changes), but I'm just glad to have this setup together so that I can finally enjoy it away from civilization.

Last edited:

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Looks Awesome Man!
Congrats!!

I was wondering what the hell you were doing for steps!!!
Excellent Idea!!

Thank you sir. I did it all for you.

Hahaha....not sure on the load limit on the Gladiator doors, but I'm pretty light.
Nah, it goes next week to the fab shop for a custom adapter for my 4step Little Giant ladder/stairs setup. Will hang from the side of the flatbed deck or dog platform, have different deployment heights. Then the ladder/stairs will be stowed/hanging right under the dog platform where I still have storage space under the dog platform on the truck floor.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Add in dry and fresh food, a bit more gear I'll add to the storage boxes....figure maybe 11,500lbs total total? Still not eclipsing 12,000lbs.
EAT it @RAM5500 CAMPERTHING . :ROFLMAO:

Add in your second human, your 2 dogs you wanted to bake in an oven, a real jack, tools and spares to fill those pretty boxes, and whammo!

I will standby my 12k prediction with a wager of Tacos!

Do you even taco bro?

[kissyfaceemoji]

Last edited:

wfv56

How are you liking that trick Japanese toilet? Any problems getting refills on the consumables for it?

wfv56

I've been thinking those might be better than the more traditional cassette/composting options. I have no real complaints with my cassette but those just seem like they might be a improvement. You are married to the proprietary supply chain thus my question about availability and cost per flush.

Chadx

♫ Off the road again. Just can't wait to get...
Cost on the Wrappon toilets are about $1.30 - $1.50 per "flush" including both the bag and coagulant. Then the upfront cost of $1,000 for the Wrappon unit itself. We've gone back and forth on it ourselves, since we like the idea of easier blackwater handling, but the cons are plastic bags, needing a place to store them until we can dispose of them since they can't be buried, upfront cost, etc. For us, we'd only use it for #2 and only when we don't have plumbed bathroom, outhouse or can't dig a cat hole and that is rare, so then the high upfront cost comes into play vs how often we would use it. But, I digress from the thread topic and there are entire threads on Wrappons and other toilet solutions.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Add in your second human, your 2 dogs you wanted to bake in an oven, a real jack, tools and spares to fill those pretty boxes, and whammo!

I will standby my 12k prediction with a wager of Tacos!

Do you even taco bro?

[kissyfaceemoji]

Those weights are already included in my 10,850lbs.

You might as well put my taco order in now... :LOL:

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
How are you liking that trick Japanese toilet? Any problems getting refills on the consumables for it?

Haven't used it yet (I want to modify the access to it; dinette table needs to swivel out of the way better and into the driver side dinette area, which means adding a spacer to the Lagun-camperwall mount), so I haven't had to get refills yet, although refills are on my list to procure.

As I understand, the coagulant/bags might keep some of the stank at bay? I still need to hang my old Trasharoo off the back (ie Maxtrax is only possibility) and I'd keep the poo bags in there just as I did before with my Cleanwaste PETT setup. Since the AterraXL is already equipped with the fancier Wrappon, I think it's a win, and less hassle than my 2nd loo setup (Thetford with blue goo chemical).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne