Do we really need a spare?

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
There are a few downsides to this. Weight is something of an issue, pinch flats are super common and removing tires requires a super long awkward allen wrench not everyone carries.

Plus, if you have a flat and run on the runflat (heh) you'll destroy the tire after a while.

I can't understand why its so difficult to carry a spare. Its just common sense, flats aren't common or unusual, they're simply unpredictable. Never underestimate our friend Murphy. the one time you don't carry a spare, your tires go flat.

A spare tire has it's own weight, space, and visibility compromises.

You have 4 tires, why only carry one spare? Why not 2? Why not 4? Everyone is going to have their own line in the sand and push different boundaries. Most motorcycle travelers, even some that do a LOT of rough international travel, do not carry a spare tire.

I've not carried a spare lots of times, often though terrain that was difficult enough that NOT having the spare tire weight makes a noticeable difference in vehicle performance. I don't do it all the time, but lately I have been leaning towards less rather than more. I haven't carried a spare wheel on most of my off road vehicles for years. I only carry the TIRE....and then pack gear inside to save space. Swapping a tire onto a wheel is an acceptable compromise for me. There are a LOT of different ways to repair tires in many situations that don't take up nearly as much space/weight as a full size spare tire. I'd argue that having the proper tools to fix a tire....on board air, plug kit, patches, tube, etc...will fix MORE issues for the weight/space than a single spare tire.

There isn't going to be just one answer. Some people are going to play it super conservative with 2+ spare tires.....some people are not.

alanymarce

...One 24,000 km trip we carried two spares and I rotated all twice on the road and again when we got home. Did I need to do it that way ? No. Didn't even have a flat...

A key point being that on this trip one spare would have been adequate.
Honestly, in 50 years of driving I’ve had 2 flats. One on the highway in a 64 F100, and one on a trail. I carry a spare. Always, sometimes two, depending on where we are going.
Our "worst" recent experience was flat tyres was on a stretch of the Dempster, recently "maintained", on which we dealt with six flat tyres:

1) on a trailer - the couple were repairing it, needed no help, but we helped anyway.
2) on a pick-up - three flat tyres simultaneously - one unrepairable, so we put on the spare, two repairable, so we repaired them (one spare was sufficient).
3) on an RV - the couple were capable of changing to the spare however appreciated having access to a better jack.
4) our own vehicle - repaired.

In none of these cases was a second spare needed.

rnArmy

Adventurer
Just finished running the Idaho BDR with six other vehicles. One of the vehicles (a new Jeep truck) slit his sidewall (unrepairable even if we had all the stuff to try it). He put on his spare and kept going till he could get into town and buy a replacement tire.

When I run a group run, one of the requirements is a full size matching spare tire on a matching rim.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Just finished running the Idaho BDR with six other vehicles. One of the vehicles (a new Jeep truck) slit his sidewall (unrepairable even if we had all the stuff to try it). He put on his spare and kept going till he could get into town and buy a replacement tire.

When I run a group run, one of the requirements is a full size matching spare tire on a matching rim.

Any pics of the unrepairable tire failure?

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Do we really need a spare?

Only when one of your tires is flat on the bottom like the guy in the picture below!

If no spare tire is available call Mechanic Jack's Team for repair.

SHE is very good at her craft! Check out the Facebook video below:

(3) Facebook

Here is another "Oh Schidt Moment"!

298077500_10166448758180587_5238121676098415555_n.jpg

Last edited:

rnArmy

Adventurer
Any pics of the unrepairable tire failure?

No, I didn't take one. But it was in the sidewall, and perpendicular to the plies. About six inches long. Almost looked like you took a knife and sliced it. It started closer to the tread.

He went into town and they didn't have that brand and/or size (whatever came on a new Jeep truck) so he bought a used matching sized tire for a spare till he could get home (where he has some matching tires).

MOAK

Adventurer
A key point being that on this trip one spare would have been adequate.

Our "worst" recent experience was flat tyres was on a stretch of the Dempster, recently "maintained", on which we dealt with six flat tyres:

1) on a trailer - the couple were repairing it, needed no help, but we helped anyway.
2) on a pick-up - three flat tyres simultaneously - one unrepairable, so we put on the spare, two repairable, so we repaired them (one spare was sufficient).
3) on an RV - the couple were capable of changing to the spare however appreciated having access to a better jack.
4) our own vehicle - repaired.

In none of these cases was a second spare needed.
A few years ago, headed to one of our favorite areas, we came upon a poor fellow in a100 series. Two flats on one side. He had let his son drive for a bit and he had ripped two sidewalls open on a protruding rock. We were about 5 hours from the nearest town. Fortunately he was carrying two spare tires. We had him up & going in short order.

billiebob

I should have taken a picture but that would have just been rude.

New pickup, loaded for camping, on a service road traffic flying by. 35C today, hood up to give the family some shade as Dad takes the front left flat to be repaired..... no room fot the spare..... just be ready for the worst if you leave the spare at home.......

He had low profile tires on 20" rims.... heres hoping Revelstoke even has one.

broncot

I'm confused by the Jeep crowd that pays for a spare tire delete kit and runs without a spare. I've got a co-worker with a lifted Jeep two door, often muddy, no spare tire. Do roadside services patch tires? My experience years ago was they'd just help install the spare.

Sent from my BBE100-5 using Tapatalk

rnArmy

Adventurer
I'm confused by the Jeep crowd that pays for a spare tire delete kit and runs without a spare. I've got a co-worker with a lifted Jeep two door, often muddy, no spare tire. Do roadside services patch tires? My experience years ago was they'd just help install the spare.

Sent from my BBE100-5 using Tapatalk

Me too. A couple reasons they don't carry a spare:

1. They think it looks better without a spare.

2. They've gone to such a larger tire the tailgate can't handle the weight of the larger spare.

3. They spent all their money on four larger rims and tires, and they can't afford a fifth.

4. They're in denial that they'll get a flat.

5. Somehow with a 5000lb Jeep, they think not carrying the extra weight of the spare will somehow give them better MPG and be quicker off the line.

I'd have a hard time believing roadside services would patch a tire (I don't care how good you are at it, it takes time and is work). Maybe at best they'd give you a ride into town?

billiebob

More important than the spare is the locking lugnut.

We had a customer in Yellowknife with the monster chrome 22s on his Hummer. He came from Toronto a few thousand miles away and forgot to pack the matching lugnut key. With a flat he was in disbelief there was not a generic key to resolve his stupidity. Eventually we welded a rod to the nut and installed his spare.

The process destroyed the finish on his $2K rim.

Does anyone realy need locking lugnuts?

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Since we have devolved into more of just making fun of people, instead of talking about actual tech.

young-garage-worker-tyre-workshop-young-male-garage-worker-tyre-workshop-227449140.jpg

This is how most people that preach about carrying a spare tire look to me, and why they do it....

1- They think a single spare tire is going to fix all the possible issues with 4+ tires.
2- They run around on small tires that don't take up much room and fit in their trunk or whatever
3- They use bald weak passenger car tires that get flats all the time
4- They refuse, or are not smart enough, to learn how to actually repair a tire in the field
5- They think they can carry everything to fix every problem without realizing the extra weight is probably causing those problems in the first place.

This is said tongue in cheek to hopefully pull this back to a more tech centered conversation, than just opinion salad or whatever.

?‍♂️

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles