New Defender News

bri

Adventurer
Sjoe, jealousy really does make some people nasty :rolleyes:
And labelling Kingsley Holgate as a poseur, what an ignorant comment - maybe actually look up who is he and what he does?

You did, by saying that they are fragile - nothing could be further from the truth. They are designed to save the occupants, thats Engineering 101.
Again, maybe read up on things before posting ignorant comments.

Sometimes fragile might benefit passengers, but not always and I never referred to safety. You are smart enough to see that.

Yawn...arrogance really does make people nasty to, I said nothing about you, yet you get "all personal".

;-)

Anyone can "overland" 80k miles with unlimited support, unlimited time and unlimited money... sorry, we disagree.

DieselRanger

Sometimes fragile might benefit passengers, but not always and I never referred to safety. You are smart enough to see that.

Yawn...arrogance really does make people nasty to, I said nothing about you, yet you get "all personal".

;-)

Anyone can "overland" 80k miles with unlimited support, unlimited time and unlimited money... sorry, we disagree.
So you have no idea who Kingsley Holgate is, then. Got it.

DieselRanger

I know who he is. His humanitarian work is admirable, but any yahoo can do "expeditions" with his resources. Celebrity humanitarians just don't impress me much.
And so because a "celebrity" uses Land Rovers, they're not credible as overland vehicles? I don't understand your reasoning.

A.J.M

Explorer
I can happily file his opinions in the section called “trash”.

Kingsley has made it into Norway.
Rather curiously, they have P400s x2 in white and a D300 in green. The P400s are on 18s, 275/79/18 Cooper ST max.
Not sure for the D300, which is a shame as it’s the D300 that I’ll buy and 18s would be nice to have.

bri

Adventurer
And so because a "celebrity" uses Land Rovers, they're not credible as overland vehicles? I don't understand your reasoning.

Somewhat correct.

My "overland" definition does not does not include multiple support vehicles and tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of support.

My "overland" is solo vehicle, into areas perhaps a hundred miles (max) from any form of support. I had best be prepared for any electronic or mechanical failure and also be prepared to walk to support. I generally prepare for at least a 40 mile walk.

I think this difference is night and day. With reports of failures on the "new Defender". I think that I will continue to place my trust in an old dependable D1. I have winched my first D1 almost a mile, managed to get it running, pulled part out of the diff, replaced axles, cvs, some wires and tires. Somehow I manage to get out without walking (knock on wood). I know my vehicle's condition and problems and it is not susceptible to random failure and a 2 month wait on parts. FFS I could probably have an engine in a few days.

Is the D90 an overland vehicle in the sense that it can do hundreds of miles of rather trivial dirt roads? Sure. Go for it, it dies? Just get a tow. Can it do anything that happens to be in its way? Definitely not as much as other and perhaps older vehicles.

Is the D90 a vehicle that is worthy of carrying you over skree, talus, boulders, miles of washboard into the most remote areas with the ability to be fixed in the field? IMO not so much.

Defenders have fragile body, fragile unibody, fragile electronics. Anyone that really gets out there either needs the support or spares. IMO, the "expedition" funded by LR and other projects by "celebrities" allows for the extra expense of these necessities for the safety of humans. From my perspective, these people are thusly not really prepared for "overland" expeditions. They are on a tour.

I have been on these tours. With skilled "overland" trainers, other Land Rover enthusiasts, etc. It is night and day between a big tour, LR Rally, etc. VS. being out solo. Being out solo, on your own and responsible for only you is what "overland" means. I don't feel like the "new Defender" has proven itself worthy of this. I don't believe the people I have commented on are prepared for the worst and certainly not solo. I don't believe my version of "overland" is the same as everyone else's. Afterall many overland in Sprinters and Subaru, enough said, yeah?

YMMV. IMO.

bri

Adventurer
I can happily file his opinions in the section called “trash”.

Kingsley has made it into Norway.
Rather curiously, they have P400s x2 in white and a D300 in green. The P400s are on 18s, 275/79/18 Cooper ST max.
Not sure for the D300, which is a shame as it’s the D300 that I’ll buy and 18s would be nice to have.

Funny how people just like to insult others when they disagree, just shows ExPo is no different than any social media platform.

Keyboard jockeys just like to bash and insult vs have any type of real interaction. I trust y'all don't treat each other like this face to face.

I wonder what they had to do for 275/70R18?

I used to run 255/85R16, slightly larger and it took work on a D1.

Last edited:

A.J.M

Explorer
Funny how people will dismiss a lifetime of trying to help the less fortunate and to improve lives as just a rich poser.

Keyboard jockeys just like to bash and insult vs have any real interaction.

No idea but they don’t have a 4” subframe life for a start.

bri

Adventurer
I dismiss a lot of celebrities and tv personalities once it is clear that is what they areor have become. this expedition is a land rover advert.

just because you are fans doesn't mean everyone has to share your opinion. look back at your comments and other comments, it's you and others making person insults not me. so who then is bashing and insulting? ;-)

Sheesh.

JackW

Explorer
I wonder what they had to do for 275/70R18?

I used to run 255/85R16, slightly larger and it took work on a D1.

I'm running 265/70R18 BFG All Terrain KO2's on my P300 and its just about the biggest tire that will fit in the wheel wells without trimming anything.

catmann

A 2023 Trek Edition and a Grasmere Green 75th Anniversay Edition are coming for those looking for something "different":

1c0e3e96_8277_4409_8339_0494695add0d_3d34d2f9e6b5abab6306e0b04790a9ea7567497b.jpeg

bdb2ca11_001e_4677_9654_3d79d0f889e6_73e15a0eda0a65d50c40cf45552d589048cfeaeb.jpeg

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...85995-defender

land_rover_defender_75_limited_edition_110_side_74b76fe036a1c24b293c7e4328ebc9ca3ed1e3f1.jpg

land_rover_defender_75_limited_edition_interior_7c6f954010f76bb6b177c9373fbe9cb114982a11.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles