Convert a flatbed car hauler to enclosed camper?

DaveNay

Adventurer
Has anyone here ever converted a flatbed car hauler to an enclosed camper? I have a 16' (18'?) car hauler that I bought years ago for hauling hay bales. I no longer use it for that purpose, and I am considering converting it to a camper. Obviously, this would be for a base-camp situation and not rock crawling. My main concern would be how limiting the dovetail would be - there ends up being very little ground clearance there, even on pavement. I could conceivably chop that part off, but I wasn't thinking about doing that extensive of modification.

Tow vehicle will be my 2002 Excursion v10, so weight isn't really an issue (within reason).

Last edited:

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
A "good" car trailer will always have good value.

The same can't be said for any RV.

A car trailer is not a good RV trailer platform.

Sell the car trailer for what it is (Good Car Trailer) and go find a RV to purchase and build with the proceeds from the car trailer sale.

You will be many miles, your time and Dollars ahead!

Oscar Mike Gulf Yankee

Thanks for the comments! I will re-evaluate (y)
While you re-evaluate, consider this; you said weight wasn't a problem, but it is, MPG, mountain climbs, even hill climbs in the Ozarks, dissents down grades can get hairy, tires, wheel bearings, axel/suspension are all influenced by weight, not to mention wear and tear on your tow vehicle even if you think it's a beast.
I second the motion to sell a good trailer and buy the proper equipment.

Alloy

Can you sell the car hauler and buy a flat deck for the same amount of money?

DaveNay

Adventurer
Can you sell the car hauler and buy a flat deck for the same amount of money?
Currently contemplating doing a cargo trailer conversion. Prices and availability of cargo trailers has improved significantly over the last time I looked (a year ago).

gatorgrizz27

One advantage of the car hauler setup is the ability to build a slide in “cabin camper” on skids. Not really ideal for general camping trips or overland travel, but for a hunting lease, lake property, etc it would be nice to just pull it off and still have the trailer for other uses.

The cargo trailer conversions are the way to go IMO, they are better built than RV’s and you can set it up for more basic/functional/serviceable needs rather than stuff made to look impressive to retirees.

ITTOG

One advantage of the car hauler setup is the ability to build a slide in “cabin camper” on skids. Not really ideal for general camping trips or overland travel, but for a hunting lease, lake property, etc it would be nice to just pull it off and still have the trailer for other uses.

The cargo trailer conversions are the way to go IMO, they are better built than RV’s and you can set it up for more basic/functional/serviceable needs rather than stuff made to look impressive to retirees.
Be careful with cargo trailers. Their construction is just as crappy as RV's.

This pic is of the wall and you can see there is a large gap. Not too bad given there is a steel beem behind it but bad nonetheless. The butyl tape along the roof did not prevent leaks.
IMG_20181021_142800.jpg

This is the worst one. It is looking from above the roof down to the ground. As you can see they cut the roof too small and you can see straight through to the inside of the trailer. A horrible job that did not prevent leaks.
IMG_20181021_161513.jpg

Oscar Mike Gulf Yankee

If you're buying a new cargo trailer see about them adding insulation. It's ideal to visit the factory and inspect before they add interior plywood walls, if they are a reputable builder this is not an issue.

There are camping trailer sites with cargo forums, lots of information about various needs, check them out.

I wouldn't pay the extra costs to buy a finished toy hauler Rv, it's much better to do a DIY build if you can or can have it done while you supervise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles