Custom Truck camper build

Twiddler

Hello Everybody! I've been lurking for a while no and it's finally time to start building I'm not going to rush this build but I need to start it, The wife and I have been dreaming traveling around the country for too long. I'm gonna work with what I got. My truck is a 2000 f350 dually with a aluminum flat bed on it the beds 8x8 So I plan to build the main base that big, I am torn between steal tubing or just wood for my base, this is going to be influenced by idasho's build. I have two children and two dogs, so I have to choose my floor plan wisely which I believe I have it figured out but may change once I have the shell built and I'm actually standing in it. I'm not too worried about weight but I'm gonna try and keep it some what lite I'm no stranger to building but when it comes to campers thats all new so I want to keep it familiar, I just having a hard time deciding on my base material should I go with steel tubing or wood? As far as spacing I have 16" OC stuck in my head but I'm thinking 2 feet on the floor not the walls. I don't want to over build it and get carried away. My plan is to start in a couple weeks. I am open to all opinions.

ITTOG

A lot of missing info so a bit difficult to help but your spacing should be dependent on what size of wood/steel you use. Also, for the floor, what are you putting down between the joists. Will that material be hard and prevent deflection of your floor or will it be soft and not prevent deflection. Drawings help a lot as well.

rruff

Explorer
Regarding spacing of wood slats... a sandwich structure (plywood skins, xps foam and wood slats in the core, all glued together) will be much more efficient than a stick build (like a house).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles