Do we really need a spare?

Fishenough

Creeper
Had this reminder just last weekend, why not carry a spare at all times.

Long trips I carry a spare/or spare tubes. Well a short ride 30 km's up a gravel road close to home I don't need that. One tiny carpet tack was enough to put a long cut in the tube that my repair kit isn't going to help with, so a rescue with the neighbours trailer was needed (he was riding with me).
54514d15dca2f5383b6c066a082a26af.jpg
9103d5320705074885a6ab5dda2a9119.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

Reactions: WVI

alanymarce

Hmm - when we were travelling south on the Dempster a week or so ago we fixed 6 flats in one day - one on a trailer heading north, one on a pick-up heading south, one on our own vehicle, and three (simultaneous) punctures on a northbound pick-up. Two of the six were not repairable on the side of the road so the spare wheels were essential.

Cutting a long story short we have never yet had to use two spares, and now travel with one, having travelled with two on a couple of big trips.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Hmm - when we were travelling south on the Dempster a week or so ago we fixed 6 flats in one day - one on a trailer heading north, one on a pick-up heading south, one on our own vehicle, and three (simultaneous) punctures on a northbound pick-up. Two of the six were not repairable on the side of the road so the spare wheels were essential.

Cutting a long story short we have never yet had to use two spares, and now travel with one, having travelled with two on a couple of big trips.

Just curious, what type of punctures did they have that where non-field repairable?

slomatt

Adventurer
I carry a spare, because I'll get a flat the very first time I decide to leave the spare at home.

Seriously though, in 20+ years of wheeling I've seen 3 flats. Two were easily plugged, one was a large branch through a sidewall and the tire was toast. Tires are the most important part of the truck, and some damage is just not repairable (or would take too long to repair), so I think carrying at least one spare tire is critical. Plus, you can chuck them into the Golden Crack to build a bridge when you don't have enough flex to make it through. :)

Somecallmetimm

Adventurer
The worst damage I ever got on a tire was 2 miles from the house. A spare is just like insurance. Most of the time you won't need it, until you do, then you'll be really happy you have it.
You could run dual bead lock wheels and only carry a spare tire. Toss in a small bag of balance beads and go on your way. That could save some space.

Reactions: WVI

Winterhawk

I started this thread in my "spare" time. Sad and bad pun I know, but I was only half serious. I plan on continuing to carry my spare even if it was been 38 years since my last flat. May never need one, but would hate to be in the middle of Destination Off Road, North America without one. As a matter of fact I plan on getting rid of my 20 year old spare that isn't the same size as my other 4 and getting a matching one.

craig333

Expedition Leader
I finally replaced my ancient spare. I'm sure it would have gotten me out of the boonies but drive on it on the highway?

billiebob

Then theres you get a flat and everyone stopping offers to help change it.....
and you say, I don't have a spare....
Include video of everyone laughing and driving away.

rnArmy

Adventurer
Yes. A full-size matching spare. I laugh when I see a Jeep with 35" tires and a 28" spare hanging on the back.

I had to loan my spare once to someone on a trail run as I was the only one with the matching bolt pattern and tire size for his Jeep. Pissed me off watching him bouncing his Jeep on the rocks and such with my spare tire (and now I didn't have a spare). It would have been one thing if he had to use his spare and then got another flat (then he's just having a really bad trail day). But at least start out with a full-sized spare. At the end of the day, I politely told him we weren't doing that again.

I've had a few flats over the years. Cut valve stems, wood spikes in the sidewalls, broken beads, road debris punctures, etc. I just swapped out with the spare and kept on going, and dealt with it later.

My wife's Subaru (2017 Crosstrek) came with a temp spare (same diameter at least). I bought her a matching factory rim and tire. I will admit for running around town she has the temp spare only (full size won't fit in the spare tire well) - but at least she's got a spare. Temp spares are technically only good for 50 miles or so. But when she or we go on a long trip in her Subaru, the full-size spare gets tossed in the back. Same thing with my manly 2008 Toyota Yaris.

When I organize a run, a matching full sized spare tire is a requirement. I've yet to go on an organized run where they didn't have that requirement.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles