help me decide Toyo at III or Duratracs

jgallo1

Adventurer
I need to get some new tires ordered in the next few days. I really can't decide between the Toyo atIII and Duratracs.
I feel like I have been seeing a lot of Duratrcs lately and it has peaked my curiosity.
The tires are for a 1st gen tacoma. The truck will see 50/50 asphalt and dirt.
Yes, I see Mud in the rainy season and yes it will see some snow. Mainly it's a lot of rutted ranch/ forest roads and stretches of HWY in between
Thanks

jadmt

ignore button user
I have had both (currently have duratracs and I aint all that fond of them) and would go either the Toyos or Faken at3w's which I have also had. I have run a lot of Toyo AT2's (several sets) RT's (several sets) and one set of AT3's. for what you describe I think I would look at some Toyo RT's or MT's or CT's. 50% dirt is an incredible amount of dirt so being you are going that much I would want a more dirt oriented tire than the at3. You did not say what size you are looking at getting.

jgallo1

Adventurer
I have had both (currently have duratracs and I aint all that fond of them) and would go either the Toyos or Faken at3w's which I have also had. I have run a lot of Toyo AT2's (several sets) RT's (several sets) and one set of AT3's. for what you describe I think I would look at some Toyo RT's or MT's or CT's. 50% dirt is an incredible amount of dirt so being you are going that much I would want a more dirt oriented tire than the at3. You did not say what size you are looking at getting.
Thanks for the input, I am going 235/85/16 its for a gen 1 taco.
I have the Falken at3w on the work truck they are awesome. Figured I would try something new

vtsoundman

OverAnalyzer
Durattacs for snow (lots of it). Crappy and noisy at 50%. Hard to balance.

Toyo III or Falkens for everything else.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

tacollie

Glamper
I had 235/85r16 Duratracs on my 3rd gen 4runner. They were amazing with one exception. At about 50% wear they got loud AF.

I also had the Toyo CTs and they were the most useless tire I have ever had in snow and ice. They were on par with BFgoodrich MT(the first ones). I swapped them out with only 4400 miles on them. Aside from that they were amazing.

The Falkens are hard to beat. I currently run them with very few complaints.

bkg

Explorer
I've never met a person who has liked Duratracs when they start to wear. Get loud, hard to balance... skip them.

6500 miles on the set on the f350... if tires weren't so damned expensive right now, it'd be sporting Falkens.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I' had two sets of Duratracs on my previous truck and got tons of life out f them. (like 70,000 miles) and I'm really not great at rotating.

They were load range E so the truck did have stiff ride but, never suffered a flat. They were great in the Alberta winters as well.

That being said, I agree with the other comments about them being loud at 50% wear.

For this reason I think I am going to try the Falken Widpeak AT3W's next time as I've read they are good in snow as well (3 mountain peak rated) but offer a quieter ride.

highwest

I don’t have any issues with my worn Duratracs. They are Load C, so maybe they hold balance better than the Load Es. I don’t notice them being loud, but maybe that’s one of those things you slowly get used to. I rotate them religiously at 5k. They have been fantastic tires.

I spoke with someone a couple weekends ago who swears by the Toyo AT3. I have a buddy with the Falken AT3w that doesn’t thing he’ll go back. Another buddy of mine that does more miles on and off road and in the snow swears by BFG KO2s. There’s so many good options…

Willsfree

1655823406433.png Tire Rack in September...for my Express van. They skate around a bit, but lifted 3-4 inches. Make a bit of noise on certain asphalt surfaces. Hold confidently in tight/fast paved turns. Held traction in the snow last winter, but could get them to slide if not careful.

Alloy

I don’t have any issues with my worn Duratracs. They are Load C, so maybe they hold balance better than the Load Es. I don’t notice them being loud, but maybe that’s one of those things you slowly get used to. I rotate them religiously at 5k. They have been fantastic tires.

I spoke with someone a couple weekends ago who swears by the Toyo AT3. I have a buddy with the Falken AT3w that doesn’t thing he’ll go back. Another buddy of mine that does more miles on and off road and in the snow swears by BFG KO2s. There’s so many good options…

I went from KO2 (winter tire) to Michelin (summer tire) LTX MS to Falkens Wildpeak (winter tire) AT3 and now I'm back to the LTX.

The KO2 and LTX will cruise along the highway with 1 hand on the steering wheel but I was using 2 hands with the AT3 becasue the truck would catch a rut go out of the lane. I told the dealer it was like driving with tires that had low pressure. The problem went away once the LTX were back on.

Tires on the F350 are 275/65 - 20 Load Range E

I too am a huge fan of Duratracs. I have 25k miles on mine, and they aren’t loud at all yet. I keep waiting for them to be because I have read this complaint often. I have also read that frequent rotations even out the wear that causes road noise, so I rotate mine every 3-4K miles.

I’m guessing most people who have noise issues with them weren’t as regular with rotations as they should be. I think these tires are awesome; they’re just sensitive to frequent rotations.

Since KO2 were brought up, I’ll offer my two cents: I will never own another KO2 in my life unless for some reason I move to the southwest US. They are good for desert conditions only in my opinion. Their tread pattern is nearly worthless at clearing mud, and they turn hard/brittle at around 20k and become terrifying in the rain or on wet pavement.

jgallo1

Adventurer
Thanks for all the responses.
I think road noise is a real personal thing.
In my experience, most aggressive tires get loud if (not rotated =cupping), and once you wear the tread down more than halfway. I think it's b/c at that point you have worn out the scalloped edges or any other feature to make them quiet.
I am definitely not a Ko2 fan. I had them a few yrs back when they first came out on an FJ62 and they would hydroplane like crazy.
My buddy told me today he sent his AT111 back twice and had problems with both sets. The valve stem kept collapsing, resulting in a tire not holding air. ( I think it's just karma catching up with him haha).
I do like the Falken AT3W, they have been great on my F250. They really are amazing in the snow.
Cooper ST Maxx is awesome but heavy and they get loud quick IMO.
We had General ATX on my wife's 4runner, they were an excellent tire, did well in all conditions. They get loud and are also heavy.
I think that's what is so appealing about the Duratrcs and the Toyo at111, they are light.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online