Any experience with Ember trailers?

FordGuy1

Adventurer
Yes, the Kimberly units are impressive, but the price is sobering. Although they also seem to strive to load them up with what I consider to be luxury items for camping. I recall one of them has a washing machine. Useful if full timing but a bit over the top for poking around backroads.

My wife and I got so tired of trying to find a trailer that's was made half way decent, we gave in and ordered a Kimberley S3. Hoping it will be a good decision.

rehammer81

My wife and I got so tired of trying to find a trailer that's was made half way decent, we gave in and ordered a Kimberley S3. Hoping it will be a good decision.
I am sure you will not be disappointed now that you have committed to pulling the trigger. That's typically the agonizing step. Buy once, cry once!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

milo12

Adventurer
I picked up my 170MBH today and drove from central Texas to NM on my way to CA. Drove through 4 hrs of rain, some very bad. First thing I did when I stopped is check for leaks. Happy to say not a single drop of water. First observation is the suspension is a game changer. The truck bucks on the lousy holes on I40 and the trailer doesn’t even notice. I am amazed that I can’t feel when the trailer hits a rut. Lots more to come and I have a big list of mods I want to do to make it ‘my’ trailer.

I forgot to mention the bathroom has a nice large shower and sink/vanity. Problem is they dropped the toilet in the remaining floor space. It is definitely a tight fit but still 100% functional which is all I need from a toilet.

TGK

For any one who is interested, I contacted Ember regarding the side height of the 17ft models. While the highest point is 10' 3", likely at or close to the center, the sides are 9' 6". I have a carport with a sloped roof and it would be an issue for me. Seems to be the norm for most of the traditional style trailers. Only exception are some of the fiberglass units such as Escape, Casita & Oliver. Also some of the Airstreams. Not to interested in a popup at this point.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
We’ve got the bunkhouse version in our shop for a bad 12v fridge(no surprise) and everyone is impressed with the suspension. It still has rv build quality though. The trim around the skylight popped off right away and the door can’t be closed easily from the inside.

rehammer81

We’ve got the bunkhouse version in our shop for a bad 12v fridge(no surprise) and everyone is impressed with the suspension. It still has rv build quality though. The trim around the skylight popped off right away and the door can’t be closed easily from the inside.
Figures. Too much to ask for quality out of the mainstream RV world. So frustrating.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

DFNDER

I was intrigued by their marketing, but just the look of them turns me off. Maybe they are built better than the average Indiana junk box, but then why does it have to look just like one. Same with the dorky interiors. I don’t want an off-road trailer to have wood grain this and luxury touches. I just want it functional. Taxa has the look right in my opinion, but just not the right form factor or weatherization for my needs. I just wouldn’t trust an ember to really go the places I want to go without falling apart, and they are too tall anyway.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Lastly, regarding the price, the salesman shared that they are definitely seeing a slowdown due to the rising cost of fuel and interest rates. So, perhaps buyers will see a greater willingness to negotiate pricing moving forward than we have in the past two years with pandemic price premiums.
Yes, I've been watching this. Not really in the market.... just watching it.

Pretty sure the bubble has burst on RV's for these and a few other reasons. (Ie travel restrictions opening up....) Curious to see if the price starts to fall as we get into August.

Tons of '22 models still sitting on lots here.... I'm sure the 23's will be showing up soon...

Treefarmer

The red flag for me on the four wheel versions of the Ember is the low CCC. At 1,320lbs, that's not much for a "dual axle" trailer. It makes me think they compromised on the structural integrity of the suspension and frame.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I noticed multiple large RV dealer lots packed with them and a few other brand’s during my 500 mile July 4th trip up the west coast. RV market fell off a cliff and dealers were stocking up way back in February. Today they are just hanging on to inventory and stupid covid prices because they banked piles of money the last two yrs. Prices will drop and winter 2023 things will get back to pre covid prices which seems to be $10-14k for the typical junk, and 15-20k for the more unique junk like the Taxa, and Chinese imported stuff.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I noticed multiple large RV dealer lots packed with them and a few other brand’s during my 500 mile July 4th trip up the west coast. RV market fell off a cliff and dealers were stocking up way back in February. Today they are just hanging on to inventory and stupid covid prices because they banked piles of money the last two yrs. Prices will drop and winter 2023 things will get back to pre covid prices which seems to be $10-14k for the typical junk, and 15-20k for the more unique junk like the Taxa, and Chinese imported stuff.
I've noticed the same with inventory and prices up here too. I suspect there will be a TON of new 2022's next year on the lots. Nobody seems interested in paying 15 g's more than last year for an identical trailer here. I think higher fuel prices, restrictions loosening, travel reopening and rising interest rates have all impacted their sales in a negative way. But the dealers still seem to think they can charge these crazy 15 grand inflated prices. Watch, next summer those new 2022's will be 20 grand cheaper to clear them out to make way for the 2023 and incoming 2024's....

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I've noticed the same with inventory and prices up here too. I suspect there will be a TON of new 2022's next year on the lots. Nobody seems interested in paying 15 g's more than last year for an identical trailer here. I think higher fuel prices, restrictions loosening, travel reopening and rising interest rates have all impacted their sales in a negative way. But the dealers still seem to think they can charge these crazy 15 grand inflated prices. Watch, next summer those new 2022's will be 20 grand cheaper to clear them out to make way for the 2023 and incoming 2024's....
If rates stay high and RE prices continue to slip the free money piggy bank options line of credit on sticks and brick property definitely crashes the RV market. There will be 22’s and 23’s sitting on the lots for a long time. Lots of people are back in the office now also. Which greatly impacts the ZOOM from the road dream. Employers who are seeing drop in income are going to take the opportunity to thin the “not working in the office people” and that’s coming from a home office guy that moved home in 2007.. In my case all my work was with a team in India so it didn’t matter where I was. But lots of roles will be called back especially JR roles.

Add fuel cost, storage cost (its up 200% in many regions), insurance, learning that RVs need constant tinkering to be 100%, camp site cost. I just rented a really nice 3bd, 2ba 7 days with hot tub in a top vacation location for less than storage and insurance would run me for a yr on a 22ft RV. We ran 19.5mpg 780 mile round trip with no trailer. Did a ton of Mountain Biking, hiking and rafting.
The RV thing only works if you store at home, do your own maintenance and do more than 5 trips a yr. Which is probably about.05% of the RV owners.

Last edited:

Treefarmer

You're right about the varying degrees of "junk". I like to say that all trailers, no matter how much you pay, are basically crap. It's just that some of them smell better than others. Everyone needs to figure out for themselves how much stink they can deal with when buying a trailer.

DFNDER

I agree that too many if these “off-road” trailers are trying to look like a suburban home or trailer park inside with silly luxuries and tv park finishes. At least the basecamp and a few others look the part inside. TV’s and fake wood grain everywhere jyst look out of place. For me, the embers just look wrong inside and out.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Build your own! It’s not that difficult. I bought a trailer chassis from a local builder, mounted one of our boxes and outfitted it with nice cabinetry.

Attachments

• BCA1A7A0-D8DF-4B7A-8EF7-655427240CB0.jpeg
    BCA1A7A0-D8DF-4B7A-8EF7-655427240CB0.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 32
  • CEABD454-5D0F-4AFA-80D1-AE9372ECD1AA.jpeg
    CEABD454-5D0F-4AFA-80D1-AE9372ECD1AA.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 32
  • 2F999BE7-95B2-4B37-AF48-101D184E7CF0.jpeg
    2F999BE7-95B2-4B37-AF48-101D184E7CF0.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 30
  • 66319741-9C2B-4C7F-8315-EFF8C9990A46.jpeg
    66319741-9C2B-4C7F-8315-EFF8C9990A46.jpeg