2021 Ram 2500 Power Wagon (Gigantor 2.0)

cycleman4

Adventure seeker
not who you ask but I had one on my pw and I sold it. One moab trip convinced me it had too many cons vs the pros. inside was very dusty and lifting the rear cover resulted in getting covered with dust (or water if it was raining) as they do not open like a normal topper. I had a solid rear panel on mine. I came out of Walmart and someone had unsnapped the side facing away from the store. Sure people can break into a locked topper but the softopper offers zero security.
View attachment 704006
Thanks for the info. Exactly what I was looking for.

bikelanta

Adventurer
@bikelanta the truck looks great. Obviously a hard shell topper is a tighter fit but how has the Softopper worked to keep dust out when your off-road? I am thinking of picking one up but can’t find any real world reviews of how clean it keeps stuff inside. I will be sleeping on a platform in the bed and prefer not to set up camp in a dust bowl. Thanks for the input.

I haven’t had much of a dust issue, but I haven’t yet been to Moab with it like @jadmt. I did notice that I have it installed about an inch or so further forward, so that might help. I’ve run some dusty trails, but nothing dramatic like the desert southwest. Not sure where you live, but anywhere east of the Mississippi would definitely be a non-issue. I do have the security concerns that @jadmt mentioned, but haven’t yet seen anything suspicious. I find opening and closing the whole thing more of an irritation than anything. Fixed doors that just pop open will be so much nicer once I have them.

cycleman4

Adventure seeker
I haven’t had much of a dust issue, but I haven’t yet been to Moab with it like @jadmt. I did notice that I have it installed about an inch or so further forward, so that might help. I’ve run some dusty trails, but nothing dramatic like the desert southwest. Not sure where you live, but anywhere east of the Mississippi would definitely be a non-issue. I do have the security concerns that @jadmt mentioned, but haven’t yet seen anything suspicious. I find opening and closing the whole thing more of an irritation than anything. Fixed doors that just pop open will be so much nicer once I have them.
Thanks for the input appreciate it.

bikelanta

Adventurer
Added three minor power modifications recently that I think will be helpful both when exploring and on family trips. One is a 12v USB charger, and the other two are AC outlet extenders for in the center console and the truck bed. When we made the trip to Yellowstone, I plugged a standard power strip into the bed outlet. It was able to charge the Goal Zero and run the ARB fridge at the same time. I picked the first one up to save space and not have another cord in the bed. I added the one with the USB-C outlet into the center console, because there's only one 12v outlet (and it's on top of the dash), so the AC outlet can be expanded for more accessories. Right now I have a Samsung A7 Lite tablet with GAIA GPS, a Garmin inReach mini, a Bad Elf GPS device, a Midland MXT275 GMRS mobile radio, and a handheld Midland GXT1000VP4 to be charged - sometimes simultaneously. With the 12v mounted high, it's annoying to have cords across the dash, so expanding the charging outlet in the center console free up room to keep things charged for when I need them and also hidden out of the way.

Anker 321 Outlet Extender
511heZGofGL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Anker AC Outlet and USB Wall Plug
51cTcx7ioQL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

TECKNET USB Car Charger 54W 4-Port USB Car Charger
61tJRcZ15nL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

bikelanta

Adventurer
I've gotten to take the truck out for exploring over the past few months, but didn't really stop to take many pictures. Here are a few:

So kind of an accessory, kind of an exploratory addition. Picked up this fat bike over the weekend (Salsa Mukluk). Have always had road bikes and never found myself that interested in mountain bikes. Then I saw some out on the winter trails at Brainard Lake and decided that snow trail riding was definitely my kind of mountain biking.

IMG_1896.jpeg

This isn't really an overland picture, it's just the truck parked in the parking area at Brainard Lake. It just makes me chuckle at the size compared to what's around it and the thing is still on stock tires and suspension. My previously car was a Volkswagen GTI, so no bigger than that blue Toyota in front of it. I used to get out of the GTI and think that my wife's Highlander was spacious and large. Now I get out of the truck and into the Highlander and everything feels tighter and so close to me.
IMG_1794.jpeg

These two were up on Rollins Pass Road. My original intent was to see how close to the continental divide I could get, but I ran out of time before having to head home. Was still a fun outing.
IMG_1471.jpegIMG_1475.jpeg

whododat

I enjoy watching the progress of your truck. Great looking vehicle and safe travels.
BTW, does it mean I am old if I knew who Gigantor was?!!!!

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Thuren and Carli do extensive testing as well but their target audience is quite different than that of AEV. AEV uses a series of spacers and brackets to in short reuse a large portion of the factory suspension. While this accomplishes their goal of lifting the truck and making way for larger tires with simplicity and maintaining OEM like ride and numbers, it also fails to improve upon ride quality, travel, and high speed control. There are quite a few records or AEV failures, it's not the holy grail, quite far from it in some peoples eyes.

Carli and Thuren are more concerned with allowing a 8,000lb HD truck run at higher speeds off-road while remaining controlled, comfortable and without damage. Their kits/springs are tailored to different heights and loads, there isn't just one spring. Take a gander at both Carli and Thuren's websites and see for yourself.
The shop I use removed an AEV system on a Ram and replaced it with a Carli Pintop system. The guy was blown away. They also do a boatload of Thuren systems too. They redo botched installs frequently too.

Zuber

I just installed the Carli Pintop on my 2021 Ram. Did it myself on jack stands, with a friend handing me tools. Install was not difficult except for drilling holes in the frame and trying to torque the bigger bolts. Some were supposed to reach 285 ft/lbs, but I could only get to 250. I'm going to tack weld the really important parts just to be sure. Took a couple of old (68, 70) guys four days.

Very high quality kit. The ride is really improved. Funny that it rides about the same on smooth highway. But, on rough roads, the harder you push it the better it works and rides. I can't wait to get out to the desert and push it a little.

The truck came with the 'off-road' option with Bilstien shocks. They were not good. Abusive on small hits and way too soft on big hits.

Explorerinil

Observer
I just installed the Carli Pintop on my 2021 Ram. Did it myself on jack stands, with a friend handing me tools. Install was not difficult except for drilling holes in the frame and trying to torque the bigger bolts. Some were supposed to reach 285 ft/lbs, but I could only get to 250. I'm going to tack weld the really important parts just to be sure. Took a couple of old (68, 70) guys four days.

Very high quality kit. The ride is really improved. Funny that it rides about the same on smooth highway. But, on rough roads, the harder you push it the better it works and rides. I can't wait to get out to the desert and push it a little.

The truck came with the 'off-road' option with Bilstien shocks. They were not good. Abusive on small hits and way too soft on big hits.
Stick a piece of pipe over the handole of your torque wrench, that’s how I got mine to spec on my old truck. I also put a line on all my bolt heads with a paint marker to see if they loosened up over time.

bikelanta

Adventurer
Was just updating the first post with the latest upgrades that are installed and realized I hadn't changed it in a year. Quote a few new upgrades installed recently, mostly driven by having the Super Pacific installed now.
  • Super Pacific Switchback X1
  • Front Runner Load Bars
  • Battleborn 100Ah 12v Heated LiFePo4 battery
  • 2x 100 watt Renogy solar panels
  • Victron Lynx Distributor
  • Victron SmartSolar 100/30
  • Victron Blue Smart IP22 Charger
  • Victron Smart Shunt 500A
  • BlueSea Battery Disconnect
  • BlueSea Fuse Block
  • RakAttach Swing Hitch (custom 2.5" insert - found used)
  • Yakima HD Bars on cab roof (likely to be removed - too much wind noise)
  • Rhino Rack Batwing Awning (Passenger Side) and three awning side walls
Some of these items (namely the electrical system) were done quickly and not as tidy as I'd like, largely driven by the deadline of leaving for a 2 week trip we took at the beginning of July across Colorado. I finished the night before we got on the road. Many of those wonky wiring runs were dictated by pre-made wires and lugs. We ventured to Telluride for the July 4th weekend, followed by Ridgway State Park and Ouray, Silverton, Durango, Molas Lake, Black Canyon of the Gunnison, and wrapping up with an Airbnb in Crested Butte. And while the electrical install isn't pretty (which you'll see below and some of you may cringe), it worked flawlessly and V2 is in the works. You can even see from the photos that the rooftop arrangement has already been altered since the trip to be more streamlined. I didn't like the Yakima Rocket Box up there and it was largely useless once the roof was popped.

IMG_3016.jpeg
Go ahead, call my baby ugly. We only had one 12v outlet and two USB ports wired up for the trip, but they worked well to keep the ARB fridge running and my CPAP running at night, plus recharging various devices. The beauty of the SP is the ability to hide the wiring in those wiring runs, which I'll get to over the next month or two. I plan to use some of their molle panels for v2. With the system, I debated about adding a DC to DC charger, but it many ways the IP22 charger makes it moot. The IP22 is designed to be plugged into shore power, which works well for campgrounds when we have electric (rare). Plus, it can be plugged into the 400W outlet in the bed of the truck. It has multiple charging rates (7.5A, 15A, and 30A) and I'm able to leave it plugged in and just toggle it on and off from the cargo outlet button in the cab. I expected that I would only be able to use the 15A setting since a full 30A will take it over the 400W rating, but I've found that when I have it set on 30A it just regulates itself down to around 20A-25A based on what the truck lets it pull from the outlet. Most nights on our trip, we used about 20% of the battery ~20Ah. The solar generally had it charged back up by 11am given the Colorado sun, but even on a few of the cloudy days it was back to 100% by 1pm. If we had really needed it, while driving, just flipping on the IP22 would have gotten us back to full in less than an hour, especially since it can take the amperage from both the solar and the IP22 charger simultaneously.

IMG_3199.jpeg
During the trip, we headed up to Yankee Boy Basin outside of Ouray to take a look at wildflowers (clearly not in this photo though). This really just gives an idea of how it looked during our trip. Again, you can see the disorganized wires from the solar panel running down the front of the camper. Again, that will be cleaned up and properly routed soon. Another cool thing about the SP is that under the front overhang are two holes drilled into the camper to run solar wires to the interior.

It's late here, I'll add a few more details at some point in the next few days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior