Convertible Overlander: Baby Shark

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Not sure if this is more appropriate in general Toyota forum or other vehicle but here it is.

Presenting Baby Shark ?

01Sf7Rn.jpg

1996 Celica GT Convertible

Gas prices keep going up and I find spending less time in my gas guzzler. Baby Shark gets 3 times better miles per gallon than my truck and I found myself using it to explore the same back roads as I did in the trucks so with a minimal budget in mind I decided to lift it a little, upgrade the stock 23.5" tires to 28.5" lifting it a little more and get back out on the trails.

Stay tuned for more shenanigans!

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Is that turbo + AWD? Or was that only in the previous model years?

highwest,

Sorry to disappoint but this is the tried and true 2.2L inline 4 cyl Camry motor mated to the same Camry automatic transmission. No turbo nor are there any turbo plans in the future. And front wheel drive only. AWD are difficult to find and are way too expensive, just not worth paying a premium for a less reliable vehicle that breaks down more often. Not sure what model years had the AWD or the turbo but I do believe it was the earlier model years.

billiebob

Yep. pack like a backpacker and do it all. Tnere are lots of these out there.... maybe expedition portal should create a thread for this.

Under 4000#.... Under 4000cc... Less than 4WD..... Seats 4 or less...... Must be a car..... Must be aerodynamic.

1987_porsche_924s_15627960735ef66e7dff9f98764dPorsche-924S-Safari-for-Sale-A-GC.com-24.jpeg

1988_porsche_911_carrera_16325122051bdc4a50e0020P2A8069-scaled.jpg

Last edited:

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
I love it!

Curious what the MPG is now with the bigger tires?

FROADER,

Virtually the same even though it feels like it's a lot less.

With tiny old tires I was averaging 31mpg city(country roads) and 28mpg highway.

New tires. 370 miles per tank of gas which is 320 miles displayed + 51 extra actual miles due to 16% speedometer error. This gets me around 28mpg.

Hope this helps.

billiebob

I often "drive" a thousand miles. I LOVE my TJR and Square Box but for the past few years I have wanted to cut my travel/gas expense in half. I know a Prius and Motels would do that but I also LOVE camping on the lake shore..... way more than a Hilton 10 Star room.....

IMG_0820.jpeg

I think the world is ready to embrace a Grand Touring kind of minimalistic overlanding.

I saw a Miata towing a NoBo... No Boundaries tiny Tear Drop on the Banff Jasper highway last August..... I almost followed them to get a photo but life is far more important.... so I did my thing.... they did theirs.

But very cool, a Miata towing a tiny Tear Drop.

Last edited:

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
I often "drive" a thousand miles. I LOVE my TJR and Square Box but for the past few years I have wanted to cut my travel/gas expense in half. I know a Prius and Motels would do that but I also LOVE camping on the lake shore..... way more than a Hilton 10 Star room.....

View attachment 726964

I think the world is ready to embrace a Grand Touring kind of minimalistic overlanding.

I saw a Miata towing a NoBo... No Boundaries tiny Tear Drop on the Banff Jasper highway last August..... I almost followed them to get a photo but life is far more important.... so I did my thing.... they did theirs.

But very cool, a Miata towing a tiny Tear Drop.

billiebob,

Your TJR looks fantastic.

The thought of building a lightweight teardrop to tow behind the Celica has crossed my mind a few times, lol.

billiebob

billiebob,

Your TJR looks fantastic.

The thought of building a lightweight teardrop to tow behind the Celica has crossed my mind a few times, lol.
There are some really good tiny teardrop trailers on the market.... and likely way lighter than we could build.. definitely more aerodynamic.

myPod from Little Guy trailers might be one of the lightest at 600# empty, 2200# gross.... 1600# payload is impressive

MyPod-From-Little-Guy-Trailers.jpg

Altho I really like this home bilt

Carapate-Teardrop-Trailer_14-850x600.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior