Time for new rubber

4runnerteq

Explorer
Finally going to have to break down and put some new rubber on the 4runner. Been running BFG ATs. The ones on it now are 12 years old and finally dry rotted to crap. Probably around 60k miles. Blessed to be able to use it just as a pleasure rig. Have been 285/75s. Thought about going down to 265/75, but just re geared to 4.88s last year after the rear diff pinion went down and to accommodate the 285s. I like the BFGs and I kinda think with the 488s and 265s she’d be geared a bit too low for any highway use. My mind is pretty much made up on brand unless someone has had way better performance from something else. Not at all interested in any Coopers as most every one I’ve seen on Toyota’s were chopped all to crap and noisy as heck.

billiebob

The big brand names are all equal. I live in a tiny village with a Kal Tire so I buy BFG or Yokohama. The best buy is the tire shop closest to home. Kal Tire is 6 blocks from home, a 5 minute walk for me. Fountain Tire, Goodyear in 60 miles, an hour away driving.

billiebob

Buy from the local tire shop......

I do. Forget the massive savings buying online I get great service.

I had Yokohama winter tires, kinda cheap or well priced but fabulous warranty. Nearly miled out and needing new MTs for the summer I stopped in to talk tires. One of the mechanics walked by my Jeep and came in to say, "You have some tread delamination".... Me, I had no clue. We looked yeah.... tread delamination happening. I had already picked new tires and the quote was done. With 20% left on the winters and winter over we ordered the new MTs. Last word was they will be here in 2 days..... don't drive on the highway.

No freaking on line buying group can deliver that kind of service.

When they arrived the tire guys calculated the value of the warranty claim..... and instead gave me a better deal of free mount and balance. All done, no credit or cheque in the mail IF I buy new Yokohamas. No conditions because I am the guy telling everyone to buy local, buy from yer neighbour who might hire yer kid. If the past 2 years have taught us anything I hope the lesson learned is SHOP LOCAL. Support yer neighbour. He might be the Little League coach. Lord knows Jeff Bezos won't be.

jadmt

ignore button user
I am a Toyo tire fan and not sure what wheel size you are looking at but Toyo RT's are rugged yet quiet and smooth.

highwest

I have 265/75R16s and 4.88s on my 3rd Gen Tacoma and think it’s fine, but I did it to get a little more usage out of that 6th gear in the AT. Tires are a riveting subject, so I’d love to hear what you end up going with.

4runnerteq

Explorer
Agreed. I’ll actually being purchasing from myself. Been at a Toyota dealer for the past 20 years. But, even if not, I’d still be buying from local dealer.

4runnerteq

Explorer
I have 265/75R16s and 4.88s on my 3rd Gen Tacoma and think it’s fine, but I did it to get a little more usage out of that 6th gear in the AT. Tires are a riveting subject, so I’d love to hear what you end up going with.
Yeah, they geared pretty high from the get go.

4runnerteq

Explorer
New BFGs on. Rides and drives so much better and quiet. Even though they are the same size as the the KOs , they are considerably taller. 2 inches or so. Going to have to trim the corner off the other side of the lower front valance.

highwest

New BFGs on. Rides and drives so much better and quiet. Even though they are the same size as the the KOs , they are considerably taller. 2 inches or so. Going to have to trim the corner off the other side of the lower front valance.
KO2s or KM3s?

bkg

Explorer
I was a BFG fan for a long time. Now I go with Falken Wildpeaks. Love them.

Gearing is fine.

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
I've had excellent results with Toyo Open Country ATs on my Tacoma and now my 4Runner. I have 35K on my 4Runner tires and they still have a ways to go. I believe I got around 42K out of the set on my old Tacoma.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles