Mercedes Overland Building/Tuning

Joe917

Explorer
So the shop that was supposed to look at it Friday, did not and they actually called me Friday night at closing time to complain that they could not get the brakes off and the owners manual is in German ?
These guys are incompetent.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
FWIW, if you order a new alternator, well worth getting a 100 or, better yet, 150A unit. Bit tricky and, depending on the year, will probably require that you acquire a new plug and do some minor rewiring, but well worth it, especially for camper use.

My original alternator was only 50A.

Joe917

Explorer
FWIW, if you order a new alternator, well worth getting a 100 or, better yet, 150A unit. Bit tricky and, depending on the year, will probably require that you acquire a new plug and do some minor rewiring, but well worth it, especially for camper use.

My original alternator was only 50A.
There is also a 24V 200 amp alternator available. Our truck had one, the only alternator I have seen with a grease point!

RoamIt

I figure I’ll uprate the alternator and/or add a second one.
Ultimately, I’m going to be only diesel and solar for power, want a robust electrical system.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Free advice. Don't plan on adding anything. There is not that much room and, outside of Europe, mechanics have not parts/experience. This based on my efforts to find a way to mount a belt driven air conditioner compressor.

The LN2 folks will tell you that the belt drive system is weak. I have had no problems reusing the original pullies. If Joe can give you data on a 200A that will fit - grab it. Took me forever to find a 150A.

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
I figure I’ll uprate the alternator and/or add a second one.
Ultimately, I’m going to be only diesel and solar for power, want a robust electrical system.
If it is the alternator, a replacement is available in the USA. Might not be exactly what you want in the end for your finished truck but should get you home. Starters are also available.

This one should drop right in with no wiring changes, Alternator - Mercedes Benz Unimog U-300, U-400, U-500 Truck 2000-2003; ABO0447 | DBE (dbelectrical.com) . I can check if you post your VIN (I'll look it up in the EPC). The Mercedes part number should also be stamped on your current alternator. It is cheap enough that you can buy it for just the trip home, plus they offer $27 overnight shipping upgrade. Swap the pulley out for your current one (easiest with an impact wrench). Then a metric open end wrench set and you are set. Hopefully the shop you are at could charge your batteries?

I also have the wiring instructions for the more modern dual fan alternator upgrade (which we are currently running). It takes a little bit more time and some extra wiring but I think worth it in the long run.

RoamIt

If it is the alternator, a replacement is available in the USA. Might not be exactly what you want in the end for your finished truck but should get you home. Starters are also available.

This one should drop right in with no wiring changes, Alternator - Mercedes Benz Unimog U-300, U-400, U-500 Truck 2000-2003; ABO0447 | DBE (dbelectrical.com) . I can check if you post your VIN (I'll look it up in the EPC). The Mercedes part number should also be stamped on your current alternator. It is cheap enough that you can buy it for just the trip home, plus they offer $27 overnight shipping upgrade. Swap the pulley out for your current one (easiest with an impact wrench). Then a metric open end wrench set and you are set. Hopefully the shop you are at could charge your batteries?

I also have the wiring instructions for the more modern dual fan alternator upgrade (which we are currently running). It takes a little bit more time and some extra wiring but I think worth it in the long run.
I'd be interested in the dual fan alternator upgrade you did.

FYI- Truck should be home this Friday if all goes to plan.

Once it's here, I'll be diving in and see what the problem was, I'll be replacing everything anyway, but want to know.

RoamIt

Have a question about cab tilt/ram.
This fitting looks like that's where the ram end should go? Though the angle looks a little off.
CabLift1.JPG

RoamIt

And this whole piece looks like there is a retaining pin and it pivots down? Any clarity anyone can provide?
CabLift2.JPG

RoamIt

Understand about upfitter mods. Trucks can be a cab/chassis that gets turned into just about anything. Surprised a crew cab would be a upfitter mod, that's a lot more involved than adding a dump bed, or a tow bed, etc.

I am thinking of a way to motorize the cab lift, cranking that thing up by hand is a workout! But that is way down the priority list, once I get past the initial refresh of wear items, I don't think I'll be raising and lowering it all that much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles