If you had to do it AGAIN...

ThundahBeagle

That rig has the Vortec 5.7 (or similar) motor right?

Thats one of the most dependable, easy to work on powerplants ever made.

Keep it and maintain the smaller stuff.

160k isnt anything on that motor.

No. It does not have the old 5.7 nor does it have the Vortec.

It is the 5.3 liter AFM/DFM L83 motor.

Oil MUST be maintained, and with the proper oil, lest the spring loaded lifters fail. They control dropping 8 cyl down to 4 cyl, and back

ThundahBeagle

Hi,
It really depends on how well the vehicle has been maintained. My Avalanche 2500 currently has 233,000 miles and I'm getting it ready for an extended trip into Mexico. I'm renewing suspension, brakes, etc that tend to age, but the engine is sound. It's always had synthetic oil changed every 3,000 miles and everything has been documented in it's log book. The engine is an 8.1L with a 4L85E transmission.

In the long run I'm not buying a new vehicle and getting stuck with 48 months of payments and having to wonder if all of the new electronics will cause over the years that I own it.

I guess it's a question that you have to ask yourself.

The 8.1 liter motor does not have AFM. OP has the 5.3 liter with the AFM and it can be a concern if not very specifically maintained with proper 0W20 oil at proper intervals. Also, the GM oil countdown computer in some vehicles had a known issue where it was counting too slowly, so by the time it reached 10%, it was really time or past time. I try to change mine when it reaches 20%.

Also, OP vehicle would have the 6L80E transmission, so in terms of drivetrain, has nothing in common with an Avalanche K2500.

montypower

Adventure Time!
This is more a financial question than a capability question. Do you have cash saved for a new truck? If not... simple decision. Already made for you. I'd recommend putting aside $500-1000/month that would be saved toward your replacement truck but could also be used for unexpected repairs. Buy with cash.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I'd say your biggest concern should be the transmission. I don't know what the 6L60 costs but when I had to have my 4L60 replaced in 2019 it was about $3500 OTD at a shop in Vernal, UT. That got me a new (or remanufactured) GM trans with a 3 year/100k warranty.

My '04 Suburban didn't have AFM so I don't know about those issues but they should be well known by now. Other than the AFM the 5.3 has a reputation of being pretty bulletproof. Not super powerful but very reliable.

Currently I'm living with the F-150 3.5 EB and the biggest Sword of Damocles I have to worry about is the dreaded cam phaser failure, which has been a well documented Ford issue for a couple of decades now. The 10 speed trans is a lesser concern but since we travel so much I went against my instincts and bit the bullet on an extended warranty that will take me to just over 100k and 4 more years. By that time (a) I'll be ready for another truck and (b) hopefully the crazy market for vehicles will calm down a bit.

Warranty is a Ford ESP and my total cost is around $3k, spread out over 2 years.

swrider

Observer
2014 GMc Sierra here. Basically stock. 5.3 l engine and 6 speed auto transmission...

If you are not feeling any odd "bucking" from the transmission when slowing and speeding up, and if you have kept up with your oil changes with the proper oil type, and follow up with all of the basic maintenance items as @billiebob mentioned, you should be fine.

I will say, with a 4 inch lift on these trucks, if it wasn't done right with special new UCA's, you will be looking at ball joints a lot more often

My concern at the moment is the transmission. For the last year or so it has be having issues shifting, you put it in gear and then have to give it a moment for it to actually shift, usually pretty hard.
Apparently many people complain that it is the weak point in the truck.
The solution is to do an oil flush and fill it with a better fluid. So will be doing this soon and see what the results are.
As far as wrenching is concerned, so long as I don't have to use a computer I am pretty good to go.
Suspension wise I will use aftermarket control arms to deal with the exaggerated angles.

eyemgh

I essentially had your truck, a 2008 Silverado 1500 LTZ with 150,000. I replaced it with a fully built 2022 F350. Why? I wanted a bigger camper and didn’t have the carrying capacity. I had enough faith in it that my son has it.

Barring the carrying capacity issue, I would have kept it. I wouldn‘t even throw money at suspension if I were you. Buy a portable Viair and an ARB rapid deflator and go have fun. Save the money towards the “someday“ truck.

2010 Burb with the 5.3 and 6L60 here, 185k miles on the odo. Mentioned before in different posts: synthetic oil change every 5k regardless of what the oil usage tells you and regular trans FLUSH, I estimate we do it some
where between 12-20k which is at least once a year, maybe twice depending on the shifting becoming a bit rough. I worried about and heard all about the problems with this engine (8 to 4 cylinder cruise) and the trans but I don’t even think about it any more. Wife loves the car, we’ll probably run it into the ground.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
2010 Burb with the 5.3 and 6L60 here, 185k miles on the odo. Mentioned before in different posts: synthetic oil change every 5k regardless of what the oil usage tells you and regular trans FLUSH, I estimate we do it some
where between 12-20k which is at least once a year, maybe twice depending on the shifting becoming a bit rough. I worried about and heard all about the problems with this engine (8 to 4 cylinder cruise) and the trans but I don’t even think about it any more. Wife loves the car, we’ll probably run it into the ground.
We had an '09 burb with the 5.3. Never had an issue with the AFM either. Oil changes per the Oil life monitor and just regular oil as recommended by the manufacturer.

1274322_10201695612299638_1342675013_o.jpg

swrider

Observer
Thanks for all the comments ppl.
Right now looking at youTube videos and forums on how to do an oil change on the transmission, plus some other maintenance that is due, like spark plugs and belts.
I keep hearing conflicting advice as to wether or not add a lift.
At this point i don't think i would gain much, offroad wise, with a 3-4in lift, but really, it's mostly for the looks
Looking into which path I'll take on the lift, so many choices and different ways of doing it.
Baja Kits sells u UCA's which allow for more travel once u fit in longer shocks.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Well, what would you choose???
Kind of at a crossroads. My current truck is a 2014 Silverado which is basically stock.
Finally saved up enough to drop a new set of shocks all around, Fox 2.0's, BDS 4" Lift matched to Methods wrapped in 33's.
This would basically get me what I always wanted in my rig with one exception.
Between work and play, the truck's accumulated just shy of 160K miles, the majority of which include towing around 8,500lbs on a weekly basis.
My fear is that I dump all my money into it and then have to deal with expensive mechanical repairs due to it's age and mileage.
So I'm considering selling it and going with something newer with way less miles, but with all the choices out there, well...
What would you all pick?
FYi, I do mostly desert trails in Southern Nevada, going out to find remote camping locations, not really into rock crawling, if that makes any sense.
Thanks all.
Pick up a used Accord or Camry and save that gem. You'd only need liability on the cars.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94