Maul or Splitting axe?

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
If you had to choose between one for splitting firewood, which would you choose and why?

Basically looking to split a bunch of logs that were already split into large quarters but still too large for firepits....

1000arms

I could have a good maul and a good axe handy, and I would reach for the axe. On the rare occasion I get an axe stuck, a maul (or sledghammer) is useful for tapping in a wedge just enough to free the axe. I then wriggle the wedge free and go back to splitting with the axe.

I use an axe with minimal flex in the handle. For those unfamiliar with splitting with an axe, I suggest starting out with smaller rounds and working up to larger rounds over time, to allow one's muscles/joints/ligaments/tendons to become conditioned to the impact. No bending at the waist. Bend one's knees instead. Control the axe to drive the head through the round without driving it in to the ground.

Keep the axe sharp.

One might find one prefers one axe for splitting rounds, another for cutting, and yet another for splitting kindling.

Just make sure to use a handle that doesn't waste one's efforts by flexing too much. Many modern fiberglass handles flex too much, waste effort, and make it harder to split wood than they should. Not all fiberglass handles do this, but many do.

Stay safe!

Kevin108

Explorer
After years of trying various implements, now I bring just a 4 lb hammer and a diamond wedge. It's about $25 for the pair. For firewood on the trail, this has proven the perfect compact combo.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
After years of trying various implements, now I bring just a 4 lb hammer and a diamond wedge. It's about $25 for the pair. For firewood on the trail, this has proven the perfect compact combo.

That's interesting!
I was also thinking of a sledge and something like this too:
31WsmP0lUwL._AC_.jpg

Boatbuilder79

I like a maul.

Been using this for a few years

Or a hydraulic splitter but the maul is easy enough that I usually just use it unless I have a lot of wood

Laps

For home splitting (I run my fireplace all through the winter) I use both a maul, with a good wedge, and a splitting axe (Fiskars X27). This past year I also purchased the splitter that 'Todd n Natalie' featured in their post above. It is very well built and works well, just be sure to get the larger diameter version if you buy one. For camping trips I bring the smaller Fishers X11 for splitting.

billiebob

Axe and 5# sledge. The fancy splitting mauls are just fancy.
Set the axe and send it home with the sledge.

Or there is this.... when you are old, tired and love to tinker.... the home bilt splitter.

Last edited:

Lunaru

depends on what your splitting, for most things a splitting axe will do just fine, but I prefer a maul because Myrtle, Maple, Oak, and Madrone is some pretty hard twisted wood.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
We've been carrying a Pulaski for years. Works well for us but I'm thinking of getting one of those log splitter things for smaller or more irregular sized pieces.

ThundahBeagle

If you had to choose between one for splitting firewood, which would you choose and why?

Basically looking to split a bunch of logs that were already split into large quarters but still too large for firepits....

Maul.

That is the tool for splitting short (18 inches to 2 feet or so) logs into firewood. Always has been. Axe is great for chopping a tree down. A splitting axe splits the difference. So if you arent also chopping down trees 3 feet across or so, and are only splitting firewood,and also can only buy one tool, get the maul. You can also pich up some wedges and use the blunt "bit" of the maul as a sledge hammer to hammer the wedges through. Or use an actual sledge.

I spent 6 or 7 years chopping and stacking 24 cord of wood per year, just so you know where I'm coming from.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Maul.

That is the tool for splitting short (18 inches to 2 feet or so) logs into firewood. Always has been. Axe is great for chopping a tree down. A splitting axe splits the difference. So if you arent also chopping down trees 3 feet across or so, and are only splitting firewood,and also can only buy one tool, get the maul. You can also pich up some wedges and use the blunt "bit" of the maul as a sledge hammer to hammer the wedges through. Or use an actual sledge.

I spent 6 or 7 years chopping and stacking 24 cord of wood per year, just so you know where I'm coming from.
Basically all I am doing is splitting already split wood that was not split into small enough pieces.

(Guessing it was split using a power log splitter but several pieces should have been run through once more)

24 cords a year! Wowza! Def a lot more chopping / splitting than I'll be doing.

We usually just buy a load of split / dried wood at the start of every summer season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles