1991 Tiger XL Astro AWD

Tiger XL, based off of a Chevrolet Astro platform
AWD
123,000 miles
4.3 V6
automatic
Clean title in my name
All original appliances

I purchased it from a coworker last summer, and they have owned it since the 1990’s. Every spring it was brought to the mechanic, tuned and they used it for summer trips. It has seen both coast multiple times, and been all over the west. According to them, the shower has never been used, and bathroom only used for #1. The person they purchased it from was too large to fit in the bathroom. I bought the Tiger with the intention of completely rebuilding it. Last summer/fall I was back in school 70 miles from my house, and used the Tiger as a place to sleep in the parking lot, using the bathroom at the gym. It drives 65-70mph comfortably, and I saw up to 18mpg. It is stored under a cover, and always fires up.

Needs:

The Tiger does need a lot of work, I’m not trying to hide anything and will be as transparent as possible.
  • The roof sags slightly leaking underneath the AC unit. It’s enough where replacing the AC seal won’t repair it. My plan was to cut out the AC hole and put in a large skylight.
  • Where the top and bottom half of the camper body meet was open with water intrusion. I sealed it up, but it’ll need to be addressed.
  • Electrical: None of the lights in the ceiling work, radio doesn’t work, CB doesn’t work. The water pump turns on, PO says AC/heat unit on ceiling works well when plugged in at a campground
  • Fridge barely works. All the appliances are original and really should be replaced.
  • Interior walls have some stains/ holes in the wood and carpeted areas.
  • Exterior has dings all around, some of the exterior camper compartment doors need replaced. Hood is spray painted original color. Paint/ vinyl all around could use replacement
  • Transmission works, but is a hard shift from 1-2. PO said its been like that for many years.
  • Minor smoke on startup, fairly normal for this motor
  • PO tried to install an awning by mounting flagpole mounts in the side, which leaked and caused mold to start in the upper cabinet. It is currently sealed.
  • Probably more things that I have forgotten
Unfortunately I haven’t had time or space to start rebuilding it, and I do not forsee having space to work on it for the next 2 years+. Instead of letting it, I’ve decided to sell. I may trade/trade +cash for a van or slide in camper for a Tacoma. Tiger is currently in Fort Collins, CO. I don’t believe it has ever had an emissions test and I do not know if it’ll pass. $7000. This would make a great project, and be an awesome AWD camper with just alittle work.

Photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/dcKrEdnfWqRWLBwC8

Last edited:

rawtoxic

I see it on a lot of listings of rigs as a selling point that rigs are virgin for #2's. I would like to know if I could safely #2 in a rig personally and its been tested for #2's

I see it on a lot of listings of rigs as a selling point that rigs are virgin for #2's. I would like to know if I could safely #2 in a rig personally and its been tested for #2's

If you dump the black tanks, you are more than welcome to test the number 2 abilities. I’ll be a bit disappointed if it is successful, many stressful nights were spent finding a clean public restroom.

Last edited:

Nomads365

A Most Adventurous Couple
No way after 3.5 years of full-time travel is ours a virgin. It's so nice to NOT have to find somewhere outside to make a deposit in the middle of the night if needed. Our Thetford cassette, with the added SOG charcoal filter, is easy to empty and easy to clean...no black-water tank.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles