Ham/GMRS Install Location - Solved

Oscar Mike Gulf Yankee

Been awhile since I had a JK, but my Cherokee T.H. won.t be swimming so my Icom 706 will fit under either front seat and the head unit on the console.

I do things on the cheap and not very conventional, a large piece of Velcro works well, it stays put, it also allows me to take it out and use in my truck or take it to the trailer.

If you like to go swimming in your Jeep I'd mount it as high as I could or at least detach and put it a dry bag before diving in.

madlypat

I just mounted a mxt275 in the center console of 2015 JK, it does have a lock box. totally out of sight, plugs into the 12v outlet in the console. I used HD velcro to mount it. Still plenty of room in the console for other stuff.

Ubiety

I have the 813 Fabrication "under rear seat storage bin" in my JT. I have subdivided it into two sections; one for things that go pew pew and the other for radio gear. Had to get extension cables to run to the radio head unit (on the dash mounted with RAM Mounts) and the mic (which pops out from under driver's seat). I have some other goodies in the radio bin along with the Kenwood TMD-700 HAM radio. Radio gear is powered via VoSwitch remote switchbox (head end also on the dash). The installation is working well for me and is unobtrusive. I typically run the radio while driving and have APRS enabled. Biggest hassle was finding the proper extension cables for this old-but-still-working radio. Yeah, that coax should probably not be coiled but has not caused an issue - yet ;)

The storage bin does lock but is not super secure; I am selective about when I keep certain items in the larger of the two side - only when I will be near the truck. I feel that this adds an extra level of security keeping kids and honest folks away from the locked up items even if the truck doors are unlocked.

IMG_5695.jpeg IMG_5691.jpeg IMG_5538.jpeg

dpsmedic

Adventurer
@KellyM

I did the install along the fender side of the driver footwell. Ran the antenna cable and microphone extension cable under the dash. Microphone extension terminates along the transmission tunnel at passenger footwell and antenna cable routes through to rear tailgate with antenna mounted on the spare tire mast.

Micromobile MXT575
Midland Micromobile Antenna Cable
Midland Micromobile Microphone Extension
Midland Micromobile Ghost Antenna

F6E3EB8F-C9E0-46A7-9C6D-D4144CCD7437.jpeg

556A195A-C90F-4A40-B571-151EDEAC2A3D.jpeg
57D0370A-6042-4F68-A77F-AD1EB6254A8E.jpeg

Last edited:

KellyM

Adventurer
@KellyM

I did the install along the fender side of the driver footwell. Ran the antenna cable and microphone extension cable under the dash. Microphone extension terminates along the transmission tunnel at passenger footwell and antenna cable routes through to rear tailgate with antenna mounted on the spare tire mast.

Micromobile MXT575
Midland Micromobile Antenna Cable
Midland Micromobile Microphone Extension
Midland Micromobile Ghost Antenna

View attachment 724238

View attachment 724237
View attachment 724239
This looks awesome! Nice work. I think I will follow this exactly, right down to the antenna on the AEV tire carrier mast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz