F150 3.5L Ecoboost HDPP vs SuperDuty

thoughtchris

I've been doing some research on trucks for a new Scout Kenai that will weight ~1600 pounds. I'm currently thinking of getting a 1-ton truck but then realized that I may get better milage with a heavy payload F150, which can actually get up to 3,200lbs of payload. The 3.5L Ecoboost V8 engine with the right other options can achieve this.

I believe the 4WD will reduce payload by ~400lbs and the super cab will reduce it by a bit more - let's say another 400lbs. Even if other niceties from the trim level reduce payload a few hundred pounds more, I think I'd still have plenty of payload. That'd put the payload around 2200-2400, which still leaves an extra 600-800 pounds for gear, water, and people.

This F150 build would be significantly cheaper and probably offer better milage than a 250 or 350.

One data point I have that gives me some confidence is that I currently drive a F150 Powerboost that also has a 3.5L V8 engine and I'm getting around 20mpg even with a 1,000 lb FWC on and not using any electric miles (eg this is the milage I get on a 30 min drive with zero electric miles). I imagine that the extra wind resistance of the hard-sided scout and extra 600 lbs will reduce the milage significantly, but I suspect it will still be much better than what I'd get from a more powerful superduty truck.

I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts on this. My main concern is probably just the lifespan of the truck being shorter than a superduty given the camper being on all the time.

Explorerinil

Observer
Do you mean to say 3.5 v6? It’s not a v8. You mentioned the super duty will cost more than the f150… I’ve seen XLT f150’s running more than super duties. One thing to consider is the suspension and axles of the super duty, they will handle the load better, safer and the drivetrain will be much more robust. I would go for an f250, 6.2 or 7.3, they both get the same fuel economy, 7.3 is a simpler design and makes more torque lower in the rpm range, but adds about 2k over the 6.2.

thoughtchris

Do you mean to say 3.5 v6? It’s not a v8. You mentioned the super duty will cost more than the f150… I’ve seen XLT f150’s running more than super duties. One thing to consider is the suspension and axles of the super duty, they will handle the load better, safer and the drivetrain will be much more robust. I would go for an f250, 6.2 or 7.3, they both get the same fuel economy, 7.3 is a simpler design and makes more torque lower in the rpm range, but adds about 2k over the 6.2.

Thanks for the thoughts! Yes I did mean V6, oops. The F150 will definitely cost less based on building it on Ford's website and comparing to a 250. Good to know about the heavier duty suspension and axles.

Overdrive

Adventurer
I just used Ford's "Build & Price" to spec out a bare-bones F250 vs an F150 Ecoboost Payload Pkg (which also requires the $3K+ max tow pkg.)
Both trucks: XLT, Supercab, 4x4, long bed
F250 6.2, 6-speed and camper pkg: $50,525
F150 3.5EB, 10-speed, HDPP & max tow: $54,890

Just curious what are you adding to the F250 to make it cost more than the 150?

I'd definitely go with the NA V-8's durability, simplicity, and heavier-duty running gear to haul a camper. Sure, the 6.2 6-speed won't be as fast as the EB, but it will outlive it, guaranteed. I've heard from countless folks that, to haul a camper, upgraded from their 1/2 ton to a 3/4 or 1 ton and couldn't believe the difference in capability.

PeteEinMT

Observer
I will say I am less than impressed with my Tremor EB MPG while towing. Small cargo trailer and I get maybe 9 MPG. I bet with a Scout Camper you will be 8-9 MPG I would go full size for sure. Towed a 16 foot all aluminum cargo/bike trailer and got 7.5.... (I do live at elevation 4500-6500 and did to 285/75/18 tires but still!!!) Maybe the Power Boost will fair better.

Last edited:

NoDak

I just swapped my 2014 F150 super cab 4x4 5.0 for a 2014 F250 super cab 4x4 6.2.
I used my F150 for work and while I never felt like I was abusing the truck when I had it loaded with tools and building material I could feel the weight and had to adjust driving style accordingly.
With the F250 loaded with tools and materials and even my dump trailer it rides and drives as well as my F150 did unloaded. Fuel mileage is very similar.

I understand the allure of the HDPP on the F150 for that higher number but its still just an F150 using 1/2 ton components. It will never handle the weight as well or as long as a 3/4 or 1 ton.

tacollie

Glamper
F150 will get by doing what you want it to do. Super duty wont even know your camper is there. If I keep it at 65 I can squeeze 15mpgs with 35s and a fwc. FWC aren't as aerodynamic as people think. The scout probably won't affect milage as much as you think. Real world you probably can get the super duty cheaper.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Some reasons a couple of neighbors went heavy 150 vs 250. Different steering setup it has modern car rack n pinion setup positives being less issues with worn bits and wobble/ vibration ie cheaper longer term maintenance wise at least for the steering thing. They were all looking at being heavy 150 or lightly loaded 250. So that was a factor. Comfort etc 150 tries to be a car 250 is a truck?.
Those were their reasons. I run the F150 station wagon ie expedition. I can understand their reasoning given the 150 / expedition is definitely very car / safety/ comfort focused.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Some reasons a couple of neighbors went heavy 150 vs 250. Different steering setup it has modern car rack n pinion setup positives being less issues with worn bits and wobble/ vibration ie cheaper longer term maintenance wise at least for the steering thing. They were all looking at being heavy 150 or lightly loaded 250. So that was a factor. Comfort etc 150 tries to be a car 250 is a truck?.
Those were their reasons. I run the F150 station wagon ie expedition. I can understand their reasoning given the 150 / expedition is definitely very car / safety/ comfort focused.
Ford's electric rack and pinion steering spooks me. No matter what the payload numbers state a 3/4 or 1 ton truck is overwhelmingly more capable to handle a camper on it's back or towing a trailer for that matter. I do have to laugh at the statement "doesn't know it's there." The accurate statement should be "handles it competently." Dismount that camper and the handling,acceleration and braking are immensely improved.

Explorerinil

Observer
Ford's electric rack and pinion steering spooks me. No matter what the payload numbers state a 3/4 or 1 ton truck is overwhelmingly more capable to handle a camper on it's back or towing a trailer for that matter. I do have to laugh at the statement "doesn't know it's there." The accurate statement should be "handles it competently." Dismount that camper and the handling,acceleration and braking are immensely improved.
Plus it’s really hard to beat solid axles, less to fail, simple easy to work on proven design.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Similarly equipped, the Superduty should be cheaper than the half ton.

The half ton would have a better ride, and would likely provide a small MPG advantage.
Beyond that, the superduty would have the advantage, doing everything easier and safer than the half ton.

PeteEinMT

Observer
Plenty of power at elevation and plenty of power towing at elevation. I'm thinking I'm just in the turbo more when towing at elevation and with Limits at 80 MPH I am not to keen on going 65 for optimal MPG!!!

skrypj

Plenty of power at elevation and plenty of power towing at elevation. I'm thinking I'm just in the turbo more when towing at elevation and with Limits at 80 MPH I am not to keen on going 65 for optimal MPG!!!

If you are doing 80mph towing, thats the problem.

I live at 6500’, have a 2014 Ecoboost on 315/70R17’s and a 5500 lb 8’ wide travel trailer and usually get somewhere in the 9’s towing at 70 mph if conditions are good.

If i am fighting a headwind it will be lower. I have seen 6.7mpg over 9 hours towing into a 30 mph headwind in Wyoming.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier