2020 Ram 5500 DIY Composite Panel Camper Build Thread

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
The other Sterling/ Signature battery question I have. When I purchased my Signature batteries, we went around and around about using a B2B charger. This was late last fall, they said it was not recommended, so... I did what you did, and bought them anyways. My build has been sitting, I'm starting to wire tomorrow, finally. Question : did you use the Sterling preset charging profile, or create your own?
Thanks again.

I used the Sterling preset for Lipo4.

For these particular batteries, the spec sheets are incorrect (i've confirmed this with signature solar) so i am treating them as any other Lipo4

Jonnyo

Observer
I used the Sterling preset for Lipo4.

For these particular batteries, the spec sheets are incorrect (i've confirmed this with signature solar) so i am treating them as any other Lipo4

a late question to your build but do you know how much glue (sausage or tube) did you use for the complete build of the box? i think you mention ordering extra afew times but how much total do you think you used? thanks

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
I honestly have no idea at this point

I had a lot of waste at the beginning, it was my first time using the sausage style caulking and the gun they included was horrible.

I think a good quality cordless caulking gun is basically mandatory.

We ended up getting 2 of them and used both extensively

Last edited:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
I’ve had 1 message on IG and 2 on YouTube this week asking me why I don’t have an awning…

Weird…

I simply don’t believe in them…

Had one on my FWC. Used it once. Did literally nothing for shade because of the angle of the sun.

Soooo…. I look at them as an “overland farkle”

Everyone has one, but they are almost never used properly

My rig is 11ft tall.

I simply move my camp chair to where the camper is giving shade.

The end

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
A solid point. But you also live in ElDiego where it doesn't rain that often. Up here in the PNW, it's nice to have an awning deployed (one leg shorter of course) when the clouds are rolling in, so you can escape to it under a sporadic downpour, then walk out from the awning after the downpour passes. Or angle the awning such that most of the sun is being blocked a majority of the time. Of course if the sun is on the other side of the camper, then no awning deployment needed.
As always, YMMV, and we know yours varies wildly from the rest.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
A solid point. But you also live in ElDiego where it doesn't rain that often. Up here in the PNW, it's nice to have an awning deployed (one leg shorter of course) when the clouds are rolling in, so you can escape to it under a sporadic downpour, then walk out from the awning after the downpour passes. Or angle the awning such that most of the sun is being blocked a majority of the time. Of course if the sun is on the other side of the camper, then no awning deployment needed.
As always, YMMV, and we know yours varies wildly from the rest.

False.. when it rains.. I go inside..

Inside is where the booze and hot pockets are…. Sooooooo

Last edited:

180out

I’ve had 1 message on IG and 2 on YouTube this week asking me why I don’t have an awning…

Weird…

I simply don’t believe in them…

Had one on my FWC. Used it once. Did literally nothing for shade because of the angle of the sun.

Soooo…. I look at them as an “overland farkle”

Everyone has one, but they are almost never used properly

My rig is 11ft tall.

I simply move my camp chair to where the camper is giving shade.

The end
Yup, what he said!

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
LOL, touche.
I'm glad you added the hot pockets. ;)
I'll see how much I use my Fiamma awning...maybe I'll end up removing it.

All jokes aside, the Fiamma quality was hands down the nicest I’ve seen. Just never used it.

I tried valiantly to mount a manual one in the rear of my FWC to cover the door area for photo stuff, but I could never mount it high enough to clear the door when it opened.

Hard to tell from your “non photoshoot” photos but it looks like how yours is mounted, if it’s raining the rain would be flying off the slanted roof in the gap between the roof and awning and dilute your hard seltzer…?

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Anyone else doing a project like this deflated of motivation because of the fuel prices?

I started this it was around $3.50 or so for diesel. Now its basically doubled here.

The entire purpose of this rig was my annual Canada / Alaska trip (with some local ones as well).

Now that the rig is done enough to use for long term trips, i was to start heading north in September.

But with diesel at $6+ i dont think its going to happen this year, AGAIN!

Anyone else in this boat?

180out

i get 9-10 mpg combined with a mix of 50/50 on and off road driving. we also do a 3000+ mile trip every summer in fact heading across the north border this year. i will spend just under $2800 in fuel if the average price is $7 per gallon. we looked into the alternative. first leave the rig we love in the driveway, not good. $1500 round trip air fair. no sites along the way other then way to many peps and the inside of two airports, not good. 15 days at $300+ for a room and i still have no car to drive around. $6k+ and no adventure getting there other then surviving traffic and way to many people. the fuel bill is a bargain! and hell yeah I'm driving.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior