Grilling fail

ITTOG

3 day weekend backpacking trip, early 70’s. Forgot to pack small, lightweight folding handle fry pan. Learned new skill tho thanks to mom Necessity, flat rock cooking. Worked ok-ish for powdered eggs, pancake mix and freeze dried chili. Helped to be starving due to miles covered…
I was on a four wheeler trip that lasted about 12 hours of riding and drinking beer. By the time we got back to camp I was so hungry I ate a brat pretty much raw. I doubt it was on the fire for two minutes. It was disgusting but it did help with the starving. The second one was fully cooked though.

Last edited:

01tundra

Explorer
Not exactly "grilling", but I decided to try my hand at baked potato's cooked in the camp fire coals a few years back.

Thought everything was going great, pulled them from the fire and took them out of the foil......nothing but empty black shells filled with some black powder ?‍♂️

w96dhW6.jpg

Last edited:

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
Did not take into account the amount of water in the veggies for a Dutch oven whole turkey for thanksgiving dinner. Turned into more a slow boiled than roasting but also took about 3 times as long. I enjoyed my Turkey with my buddy as our families slept in camp next to us having eaten all the sides and gone to bed hours ago ********!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TwinStick

Explorer
I had a grilling fail today, at home. I carmelized some sweet onions and mixed them into some ground beef. Everything was plenty cold because I made it up the day before. But they all came apart on the grill. Still tasted fantastic though.

What is the secret to get handmade burgers to stay together ?

WOODY2

Adventurer
The water content of the onions was your downfall when incorporated into the burgers, try cooking the meat on top of the onions.

WeLikeCamping

Explorer
I've had my share of fails - sometimes my steaks can be a bit crusty and rare - hard to see with no light. Once I forgot the grill entirely on a quad offroad adventure. Found a nice rounded piece of granite in a nearby stream and cooked that in the fire for a few hours to make a griddle. Worked out just fine. Probably my best known failure and still brought up occasionally was "Apple Black Betty" - when I was just learning Dutch Oven cooking. You can draw your own conclusions from that.

P2210034.JPG

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I had a grilling fail today, at home. I carmelized some sweet onions and mixed them into some ground beef. Everything was plenty cold because I made it up the day before. But they all came apart on the grill. Still tasted fantastic though.

What is the secret to get handmade burgers to stay together ?
Did you add in any eggs to the mixture?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz