Small Toy Hauler?

Grassland

Elkhart Indiana where 90% of Thor and Forest River staple and caulk specials are made.

I'll brb I had a list of toy haulers from years ago when I started my camper trailer search. I'll see if any still exist.

I can't find my list it might be on my old computer HDD.

ATC was one but I had them crossed off due to all being way too big. VRV was another but I think they went out of business. Livin Lite had licensed a VRV for a few years prior to being bought by Thor.
Intech, but you don't want tent sides.

What if you bought a Lightning Trailers 7x14 and built the inside yourself?
It's a Forest River product, but the frame was tubular aluminum, as were the wall framing and roof framing.
You can also order them with the happy Jack sort of wall bed and or bench I think and windows, etc.

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Okay it's me "expedition unobtainium type" invading on your Elkhart conversation ?

Theses oven / heaters by Walles xo duo look cool:

Ok so if I replaced my 1986 30ft sailboat with a new one or modern one a $2700 two burner/heater stove combo using a diesel feed would be interesting however! $2700 plus selling the Diesel engine lands me in prime EV conversion budget for an excellent all electric sailboat setup. Which is where most sailors who sail a bunch are looking to go if they haven’t already made the switch.
Given your fixated on the fact that yes Forest River crap still has its place for the right price.. A $2700 two burner stove that then needs a diesel feed in a 20k trailer is a little umm ? goofy.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Carson in SoCal has a good rep and makes a nice little 14 foot toy hauler, the Rebel, weighs in just over 3,000 lbs, dual axle. Probably a stick built tho, I never checked

Carson does interesting stuff but you need to custom order it and yes I recall they are built in a very similar manner as wolf pup ie stick built. I have looked at there stuff. Its dated and mehh and price is about the same.

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

Ok so if I replaced my 1986 30ft sailboat with a new one or modern one a $2700 two burner/heater stove combo using a diesel feed would be interesting however! $2700 plus selling the Diesel engine lands me in prime EV conversion budget for an excellent all electric sailboat setup. Which is where most sailors who sail a bunch are looking to go if they haven’t already made the switch.
Given your fixated on the fact that yes Forest River crap still has its place for the right price.. A $2700 two burner stove that then needs a diesel feed in a 20k trailer is a little umm ? goofy.

I apologize I did not realize they were so expensive. I saw them in the new AntiShanty Limited (70k). I agree with you that the craft off road builders seem to be in a race to over spec at times. Which is why they have gotten out if hand price wise. I have been learning from your posts as you know way more then I.

I forget where your at in regard to a trailer. Have decided or still searching? I do worry about the chassis on the mass produced rigs regardless of how much you get and can modify.

Have you looked at Weeroll trailers. They seem to make beefy aluminum (my preference) chassis. You could build from thier unfinished units. Maybe be under 35k

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I apologize I did not realize they were so expensive. I saw them in the new AntiShanty Limited (70k). I agree with you that the craft off road builders seem to be in a race to over spec at times. Which is why they have gotten out if hand price wise. I have been learning from your posts as you know way more then I.

I forget where your at in regard to a trailer. Have decided or still searching? I do worry about the chassis on the mass produced rigs regardless of how much you get and can modify.

Have you looked at Weeroll trailers. They seem to make beefy aluminum (my preference) chassis. You could build from thier unfinished units. Maybe be under 35k
Wee roll are rolling sheds nothing in them. I’m a head of the game just getting a Eco pro whatever. If I were living out of the thing then probably not ideal. Given my use will be a few times a yr and for say the next 5 yrs. I’m not concerned. Again we spend more weeks sailing than land lubber camping especially these days with everyone “camping”.

Grassland

It's super disappointing the price point of the mainstream stuff
Locally R-POD was 25, 26, then 29k etc and in the USA at the time I had 25 as the low price, I was seeing them as low as 14k which is a lot more reasonable for the quality.
Mass production and scale for motor vehicles does not at all carry over to camping trailers it seems.
I'd not ********** so hard if an "off road" tent trailer from FR was 10k new here and not the 25k I was quote five years ago.
The sub par quality would be fine if the price reflected it.

rebar

Adventurer
Thread resurrection, because Ive been looking for a narrow track enclosed trailer to build my overland toyhauler for quite a while.
Why cant Elkhart build a narrow track, 6 to 7' wide enclosed trailer for every poor overlander who wants to outfit the trailer himself? btw narrow track means no big ugly fenders and the use of wheel wells to maximize interior space on a narrow foot print, usually close to the stance of the tow vehicle.

Anyway, rant over and add another couple toyhaulers to the list. Imperial Outdoors XR22.. And the Black Series HQ19T

rebar

Adventurer
Not hard to pick the trailer you like and reframe it to a narrow track... I did my OSB BOX last year and will do my work/cargo trailer next year. But beyond us few yokos I doubt the market exists for a commercial trailer builder to add the wheel well boxes from their 8' wide trailers to anything under 8' wide..... altho 40 years ago narrow track was the standard.
Finally, someone who gets it.
But I wouldn't say it's not hard to reframe a open wheel 7x16 to wheel wells because you have to cut the main frame members. Doable, yes. It's either that, or drive days for a old Pace..
https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/tro/d/rome-enclosed-trailer-16-7/7645469457.html

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
When I bought my cargo trailer 2 years ago, used but like new, I had no intention of camping in it, it was just to haul my 1800 VTX trike.

Mine is a 6X14 V nose, side RV door and rear ramp door. Now I wish it were 7' wide, but hey, I got a steel of a deal for $1500 from a guy cleaning house for a divorce. (He named the price, not me). No scratches, dings or cracks, looks new outside and inside he put in a garage type tile floor, wall mounted storage system, hooks/bags, roof vent and nice wheels with a single axel.

To my point, I think there are advantages to a cargo trailer to build out instead of the factory toy haulers. You know where everything is, electrical, plumbing, insulation and pick your appliances. Downside is the time, planning, building and sourcing items. You don't need to be a real craftsman to duplicate the factory quality, but it takes some basic skills and time, along with some sweat.

You can buy everything the factories put in these rigs, even the side tent drop out and down bunks and folding couch/bunks.

However, dropping another 8-10 grand on a factory job, puts you on the road on day 1, saves 2+ months of work and it looks like an RV. I'm not putting decals on my trailer.

Just a bit more to say; When I bought houses and rehabbed them, I had an Amish crew working for me. If I needed a nice off road worthy toy hauler, I'd hire a good shade tree welder and build one to much better specs than you can buy from an RV lot. I think you could certainly have one made for half, at least 2/3s of what commercial rigs cost and you'd know every inch of that project. If you have the time. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles