Axle Confusion

jwiereng

I went to trailer shop, told them my bolt pattern, spring perch locations and hub face to face distance. Told them 3500 lbs, and then removed a leaf to suit my weight. All dexter compoments with ez lube. 2 weeks later it was ready.

I had to waive the warrantee because my hub face was too far from spring perch. This was needed because I used Toyota wheels, substantial difference in offset on truck wheels vs trailer wheels.

Might also consider using the same wheels and lugs and lugnuts as you tow vehicle.

billiebob

I went to trailer shop, told them my bolt pattern, spring perch locations and hub face to face distance. Told them 3500 lbs, and then removed a leaf to suit my weight. All dexter compoments with ez lube. 2 weeks later it was ready.

I had to waive the warrantee because my hub face was too far from spring perch. This was needed because I used Toyota wheels, substantial difference in offset on truck wheels vs trailer wheels.

Might also consider using the same wheels and lugs and lugnuts as you tow vehicle.
good choice and yes trailer wheels usually have a zero offset

john61ct

Adventurer
Timbren Axle-Less avoids the frame width issue

Also no need to add twisting compensation space to the usual 2" tire edge to frame clearance

billiebob

Also no need to add twisting compensation space to the usual 2" tire edge to frame clearance
Have to check this, I looked at Timbren, decided against them since they needed frame reinforcement but I never looked into running rims with 4 or 5 or 6 inch backspace. I'm thinking you would need spacers unless they offer optional spindle lengths. And spacers add another stress to the Timbren frame mount.

Hard to beat the simplicity of a straight axle.

Elvota

Observer

Probably perfect... except for my limited budget.

I do appreciate the suggestion however.

rnArmy

Adventurer
Have to check this, I looked at Timbren, decided against them since they needed frame reinforcement but I never looked into running rims with 4 or 5 or 6 inch backspace. I'm thinking you would need spacers unless they offer optional spindle lengths. And spacers add another stress to the Timbren frame mount.

Hard to beat the simplicity of a straight axle.

Yes - it is hard to beat the simplicity of a straight axle. And you have so many more options compared to the Timbren system. Different axle widths, spring options, etc.

john61ct

Adventurer
Yes Timbren is pricey, don't want to seem a shill.

But axle width completely goes away as an issue, as does calculating the spring perch locations.

The 'frame rail to hub face' gap is fixed, but I see that as a plus.

As stated you can often swap out the rubber "spring" bits from the HD units to accommodate a lighter weight.

And best of all IMO the vertical clearance is higher, and if kept in mind when designing the frame, can (along with the floor height) be put wherever you want it.

rnArmy

Adventurer
"And best of all IMO the vertical clearance is higher, and if kept in mind when designing the frame, can (along with the floor height) be put wherever you want it".

I would argue that one. You can adjust vertical clearance with different size spring perches, shackle length, putting the axle above or below the springs, springs with a custom arc, or using appropriate sized lift blocks between the spring and the axle (when the axle is mounted beneath the springs).

billiebob

And best of all IMO the vertical clearance is highe
the limiting factor is the tow vehicle clearance, a straight axle running the same size tires always.... unless the tow vehicle is a unicorn with portals ..... always has more clearance than the vehicle pulling it so where is the advantage

Last edited:

ScottReb

Adventurer
the limiting factor is the tow vehicle clearance, a straight axle running the same size tires always.... unless it is a unicorn with portals ..... has more clearance than the vehicle pulling it so where is the advantage
Nice to see someone saying this out loud. We use timbrens for simplicity, convenience, their service to OEMs, not for the ground clearance. We're working on another option using a three-link and airbags hopefully for next year.

john61ct

Adventurer
That is of course an excellent point.

The bigger picture for me in retrospect is not so one-dimensional.

What the axle-less suspension frees up in design thinking to me is, **any** fixed relationship between the height of the longitudinal main frame beams

and the clearance height of the central floor platform.

Either one can be as high, or as low as you like.

Add the fact that the suspension mount points do not need be directly fixed to either of those other two elements

and you have a lot of flexibility in creating a chassis for multiple uses, say utility/boat/tank/vehicle flatbed

The living pod could then just be a lightweight removable shell

billiebob

That is of course an excellent point.

you have a lot of flexibility in creating a chassis for multiple uses, say utility/boat/tank/vehicle flatbed

The living pod could then just be a lightweight removable shell
yep, I built a BOX out of OSB to "slide" into my 5x10 Mirage deck trailer. But it still is solid axle, leaf spring over.....

and that trailer brand new with a 3500# axle.... cost $1100 brand new. the "OSB BOX" cost $800.

DSC_0057.jpeg

It does it all.... this pic was on the Mirage Trailers website for 10 years.... loaded with 3000# of 3 storey brick chimney.

DSC_0001.jpeg

Your point of using a Timbren style for a low rider is absolutely true. The lowest Timbren styles let the axle centerline be above the frame rails.
For a low rider fan nothing else can compete..... but thats a different forum with great looking chicks.

4432f820160f29bd0bc5aad3b749f502.jpg

Last edited:

john61ct

Adventurer
Love it BillieBob!

In my case I need a 36' long unit to haul a 30' sailboat at ~12000lbs

keel support spine as low as practical for rough terrain

and trailer needs to also act as a vehivle transport, carry a living pod, tons of rock and soil, building supplies, water / fuel tanks, etc

billiebob

PS.... I really wish everyone would tell us where they live. No need to be specific but comments from Florida or Washington or Manitoba add context to what you say. And if you are local to any of us,..... we might have real relevant comments.

PS, if you are from Australia or Lithuania I might not comment but I'll definitely watch the thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles