Is it legal to mount a small 5 lb propane tank horizontally on one's roof rack?

JackW

Explorer
It's a Hannibal mount from South Africa that I picked up from someone from this website a few years ago. I've seen a Power tank mount used as well.

SmoothLC

Explorer
Mounted vertically with a propane mount made specifically for the Front Runner rack (v1). Very secure.

1999-land-cruiser-with-rack-jpg.829110

WanderingBison

Yes, that is exactly the type of tank you should be using if you are going to store it “on its side”.

The problem is the price you have to pay for this tank, for a tank that will have to be requalified at a cost) in less than ten years, not to mention the challenges you will have it getting it refilled.

I sometimes have a hard time with my vertical 10 lbs … because it’s not a 20 lbs.

This is how it should be done but is it worth the price of admission?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

john61ct

Adventurer
Any vertical in use tank can be STORED horizontally.

Be VERY careful buying tanks designed to be USED horizontally.

Mowers, forklifts, many use LIQUID output not gas and BIG BOOM from making mistakes.

You may be able to find a freelance tech to help convert, replace valves etc but very rare

and as mentioned, places can refuse to fill if they think your jury rig is too redneck-engineered.

Stick to standard BBQ bottles for cheap mainstream easy usage.

Built-in ASME like for autogas next best.

Getting creative is complicated

john61ct

Adventurer
Lots of ferries and tunnels no LPG allowed at all, so easily removable is required, or you just can't go through ...

WanderingBison

Any vertical in use tank can be STORED horizontally.

While you could argue that they could, it is not the way the cylinders were designed/engineered (and therefore not the way the cylinder was designed to operate safely) and generally, not in compliance with the appropriate regulations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

john61ct

Adventurer
See my post #15

> Not talking laws just practical safety

My main point in this last was, do NOT assume that buying a DOT bottle designed FOR USE on its side, is going to work for the same purposes a vertical bottle is used for.

WanderingBison

See my post #15

> Not talking laws just practical safety

My main point in this last was, do NOT assume that buying a DOT bottle designed FOR USE on its side, is going to work for the same purposes a vertical bottle is used for.

I did read your post (as I assumed you read mine …) - I don’t want to get in a pissing contest.

It’s not because you can store a vertical cylinder on its side and be “fine” that it is safe (or legal).

It’s also not because one can sleep in their house 1000 nights without incident that they shouldn’t have a smoke detector.

The cylinders are designed and engineered differently, and with a very specific difference.

john61ct

Adventurer
Nope it is indeed perfectly safe.

The only dangers come from overfilling relative to temperature changes, the bottle not being well enough secured, and/or allowing the valve to get damaged by other objects not being secured.

Just being carried on its side may increase those factors, but otherwise makes zero difference.

The law can be an ass.

WanderingBison

Nope it is indeed perfectly safe.

The only dangers come from overfilling relative to temperature changes, the bottle not being well enough secured, and/or allowing the valve to get damaged by other objects not being secured.

Just being carried on its side may increase those factors, but otherwise makes zero difference.

The law can be an ass.

Or maybe it CAN be perfectly safe unless overfilled (which routinely happens as the operators are often poorly trained and equipment is often poorly calibrated to prevent overfilling) and/or the cylinder’s temperature is raised significantly because of ambient temperature or sitting in the sun, such as on a vehicle roof.

Yes, the law can be an ass but it’s also easy to dismiss it because of the extremely rare instances when it’s required … cough … seatbelts or smoke detectors.

With that said, I’m out!

I’m not trying to convince you, only to try to share expertise I can contribute.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles