2020 Northstar Liberty - Expedition Truck Camper Build!

dayHiker

All I was saying is both Propane and Diesel heaters, if installed correctly with combustion vented to the outside, will not create additional water vapor inside. They cannot since all combustion is vented. In both cases, the inside air is simply heated. So, in theory, if both generate the same BTU heat, then they both heat the inside air the same. The heated air will allow more water vapor to stay in the air (Water Vapor Table - yes, I wrote that eBook textbook), so that will dry outwet surfaces. But the air drying should be the same for both, assuming similar BTU heating.

Now, if you have Buddy heater or use the propane stove, neither vented to outside, then that will generate more water vapor and will make any drying harder. Diesel heater will not generate water vapor like the propane, so you could use an unvented diesel heater inside (but that has other problems like fire, fumes, and carbon monoxide - highly not recommended).

Regardless, I am looking forward to installing and using a diesel heater in my Liberty for next Fall/Winter (or even this summer at high elevations).

montypower

Adventure Time!
I understand your logic. But that's not what our experience has been. Diesel heaters vented outside (same as propane) will reduce moisture inside. No need for a dehumidifier.

And there are many others who have discovered and reported the same thing. But don't believe me. Test it for yourself (and report back).

montypower

Adventure Time!
Another interesting idea from Grizzly N Bear... they installed the diesel heater to pull fresh air from outside (exterior) and push the heated air inside. Essentially pressurizing the camper.... This allowed them to leave a window vented and create constant airflow. Good idea for a small space: fresh air and further condensation mitigation.

dayHiker

Delighted that you feel the moisture is gone. The higher heat output of the diesel heater may give that impression. Like all environmental control systems, if it works for you, then it is a success regardless of the physics of the system.

From first law of thermodynamics, if the closed (i.e. no open window or vent) cabin air is heated, by any source, the air will simply get warmer. Existing moisture cannot be destroyed by simple heating but will become water vapor in the air. But higher temperatures will reduce the 'relative' humidity which makes it feel drier.

Interesting idea from Grizzly N Bear. That is a good way to really dry the air, assuming the air outside is drier (i.e. not Florida) than the inside. One downside would be the higher energy need to heat the outside air if really cold. I would rather heat inside air (50-60F) instead of outside air (20-30F) on cold winter days to save fuel. But then we are back to the closed cabin, and thus no actual moisture lose. How about a switchable vent tube that you can change on need?

dayHiker

Great news from Dometic today. They have offered to replace my propane heater (Dometic DFSD12-111 - original equipment) in hopes that it will solve they high elevation problem. So before I install the diesel heater (just purchased), I plan to give that a try. It is under warranty, so I have nothing to lose. But I still plan to someday install the diesel, especially if the new heater also fails at high elevation (good chance of this).

kodiak-black

Observer
I am very interested in the prospect of a diesel heater in my Liberty. I have noticed quite a bit condensation build up at the emergency exit vent above the bed in 40 degree weather with the heater running. I did not opt for the Heki vent (sp?) I just have the standard escape hatch. Sleeping in bed with our heads toward the front of my truck has proven to wet affair at some point in the evening or early morning. I have been unable to find a insulation to fit the space. I may have make something.

Aside from the moisture issue I also do not like how loud the propane furnace is. As I understand it the diesel heaters are fairly quiet. Not hearing the furnace kick on in the middle of the night would be make the diesel heater worthwhile to me all by itself.

montypower

Adventure Time!
I am very interested in the prospect of a diesel heater in my Liberty. I have noticed quite a bit condensation build up at the emergency exit vent above the bed in 40 degree weather with the heater running. I did not opt for the Heki vent (sp?) I just have the standard escape hatch. Sleeping in bed with our heads toward the front of my truck has proven to wet affair at some point in the evening or early morning. I have been unable to find a insulation to fit the space. I may have make something.

Aside from the moisture issue I also do not like how loud the propane furnace is. As I understand it the diesel heaters are fairly quiet. Not hearing the furnace kick on in the middle of the night would be make the diesel heater worthwhile to me all by itself.

Couple ideas to try... leave the bed window(s) in "vent mode" and the max air fan vent open slightly. It will allow some air movement especially when the heater kicks on. We sleep with our heads towards the rear of the camper in extreme cold which helps to significantly reduce moisture build up.

Diesel heater is very different from propane... It is either on or off. It doesn't cycle like the propane unites since it has variable fuel delivery / fan speed. It can be set at a specific temperature similar to your propane heater. Or it can be set at a fuel delivery (HERTZ) rate. This is really handy since you can set it to the lowest fuel delivery rate which essentially keeps it nearly silent with consistent heat. Rather ideal since the exterior cold is a consistent input as well.

Keeping the heater running constantly allows all the interior surfaces to absorb the heat. This makes the space "feel" warmer and much more comfortable. And it does "dry" the air out (no more window condensation).

There is a gasoline version as well.

kodiak-black

Observer
Couple ideas to try... leave the bed window(s) in "vent mode" and the max air fan vent open slightly. It will allow some air movement especially when the heater kicks on. We sleep with our heads towards the rear of the camper in extreme cold which helps to significantly reduce moisture build up.

Diesel heater is very different from propane... It is either on or off. It doesn't cycle like the propane unites since it has variable fuel delivery / fan speed. It can be set at a specific temperature similar to your propane heater. Or it can be set at a fuel delivery (HERTZ) rate. This is really handy since you can set it to the lowest fuel delivery rate which essentially keeps it nearly silent with consistent heat. Rather ideal since the exterior cold is a consistent input as well.

Keeping the heater running constantly allows all the interior surfaces to absorb the heat. This makes the space "feel" warmer and much more comfortable. And it does "dry" the air out (no more window condensation).

There is a gasoline version as well.

Thanks for the advice. My wife mentioned sleeping the other direction which at the very least would stop water droplets from landing on our faces. We may try that next time out.

The characteristics of the diesel heater you describe sound perfect. The consistent heat and no cycling on and off would be a definite upgrade. My truck is diesel although I may keep the fuel for the heater separate from my trucks fuel tank. Still thinking that part through. Diesel being less combustible would be better in a separate tank within the camper.

BajaSurfRig

@montypower any chance you’d be willing to share your wiring diagram for you solar/ battery power system? I am about to build a very similarly sized set up in the coming weeks. Thanks!

cryptodelic

Yes ... we've installed a deisel heater in out ford econoline and it gets toasty in minutes when there is a foot of snow outside! It is mostly a dry heat and I have not noticed any condensation buildup at all after/during running the deisel heater. It SSSIIIIPPS fuel. Very happy with it.

montypower

Adventure Time!
@montypower were you able to land 4 AWG wire on your DC to DC charger? My Victron Orion DC to DC Charger doesn’t want to accept anything bigger than 6 AWG…

Believe we did use 4 AWG for the anderson connector pigtail. 1 AWG for the truck feed. But used flexible welding style wire. I have the parts list attached to one of the posts.

Awesome build, glad to see this setup documented here. Been watching your videos on YouTube for a while. I had decided on a truck camper in late 2020 and bought one in early 2022, but during that entire period I was under the assumption that I would be heavily limited off-road with a TC. Around the time I purchased my setup, I discovered your videos and Jefe’s posts and both of these were my main sources of TC inspiration and confidence. Been having fun exploring with my setup ever since. Looking forward to your upcoming adventures.

montypower

Adventure Time!
@JayGarlido - Thanks for sharing! It's great to hear your enjoying the Truck Camper. These rigs can be extremely capable... Plus it's easy to modify the truck platform to handle whatever terrain or obstacles desired.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94