LR3 Air vs. Coil in depth comparison

sdjp

Hi all,

My name is Brian Ribera, a newly retired Navy SEAL after 22.5 years of military service and I’m running the non-profit Military Mobility; which specializes in off-road expeditions and training.

I’m excited to announce the release of our Land Rover LR3 Air vs. Coil Shootout Series on YouTube. This eight episode series compares two identical 2008 Land Rover LR3 HSE’s, one has the stock air suspension against the other with an aftermarket coil conversion.

Over the eight episodes we test their performance in overlanding, carrying cargo, sand, highway, rocks, water fording, and towing. The first episode drops on Friday, February 18th at 3pm EST! Watch the teaser promo below and be sure to subscribe to our YouTube channel and get notifications when a new episode drops each week!

Please ask questions or let me know what you think in the comments. What’s your favorite? Thank you!

Runfar21

Grateful for your service and mobility mission. Subscribed on YouTube

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nwoods

Expedition Leader
As a former owner of a Springer along with months of seat time behind the wheel of a air based HSE, I have my opinions on what you will conclude.

Drum roll please......................
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
and now for the big finale!: It depends!

In my opinion, the air suspension version is generally better all around, with the exception of speed (Baja style driving), and durability. The air suspension offers improved ride on and off the trail (with the exception of super extended mode), much greater articulation (thus improved ride and traction), and more flexibility / versatility. The Springer can run harder (hits big bumps with more dampening), faster (it won't auto-lower above 30mph) and is extremely durable. Also, for those who want wider tires or need to wear chains in the snow, you have more clearance for either with the coilovers rather than the somewhat bulky air suspension struts.

NAS_D90

Looking forward to the vids.
I went with the Dunlop kit for my LR3...
Well worth it for my use of the truck. It’s a people mover (family) on mostly highway use.

sdjp

As a former owner of a Springer along with months of seat time behind the wheel of a air based HSE, I have my opinions on what you will conclude.

>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>

In my opinion, the air suspension version is generally better all around, with the exception of speed (Baja style driving), and durability. The air suspension offers improved ride on and off the trail (with the exception of super extended mode), much greater articulation (thus improved ride and traction), and more flexibility / versatility. The Springer can run harder (hits big bumps with more dampening), faster (it won't auto-lower above 30mph) and is extremely durable. Also, for those who want wider tires or need to wear chains in the snow, you have more clearance for either with the coilovers rather than the somewhat bulky air suspension struts.

Incredible insights! ?

leftcoastal

>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>

Do you have any workarounds for using the air system with chains? I'm on 285/60/20 with a 2.5" Rhino lift and 30mm spacers. Yet to try socks or the separate lashings with studs, don't think either qualify when's chains are *required.

sdjp

Looking forward to the vids.
I went with the Dunlop kit for my LR3...
Well worth it for my use of the truck. It’s a people mover (family) on mostly highway use.

Thanks, and yes these are incredible family rigs, supremely capable off-road, and can tow like a beast!

Episode 2: Overland just dropped yesterday, here's the link!

sdjp

Do you have any workarounds for using the air system with chains? I'm on 285/60/20 with a 2.5" Rhino lift and 30mm spacers. Yet to try socks or the separate lashings with studs, don't think either qualify when's chains are *required.

Don't have an answer just yet but a few days ago I received the snow chains we purchased for our LR3(s). I will fit them to the air LR3 first and see how they do. We got these:

leftcoastal

Right on look forward to your assessment!

Just finished watching all your vids and have to say they're well done. Good to see an unbiased pov with real critique.

Just talked to Tom at Great Basin in your area and he'd just told me some guys are modding the bags. Pretty cool mod ya got there. I took a screenshot of the airlines you rigged up. Are they a replacement or tapped into existing ran parallel?

Last but not least I appreciate your service with the military.. and here of course.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220226-083158_Brave.jpg
    Screenshot_20220226-083158_Brave.jpg
    710.7 KB · Views: 21

sdjp

Thank you for your patriotism and support!

We’ve met Tom from GBR before, he helped us with one of our rigs. Great guy.

We’ve already improved on the design of the Rescue System and will have them for sale on our website in a few weeks time?

Last edited:

leftcoastal

We’ve met Tom from GBR before, he helped us with one of our rigs. Great guy.

We’ve already improved on the design of the Rescue System and will have them for sale on our website in a few weeks time?

Ah right on! Look forward to seeing what you have coming.

Wol_Rus

These have been great to watch, thanks for putting them out there, excited to see the rest.

I've always seriously weighed going to coils for quite some time, but have since decided if I was ever going to I'd go with a different rig. The air just compliments the car too well.
This is even after living full time out of the LR, replacing 2 bags (one blown on the trail from a sandwiched rock), 2 compressors (one was bad from the beginning), and 1 valve block during my ownership... call me crazy but still sticking with air.

Last edited:

sdjp

Hi everybody and happy Friday,

Episode 5: HIGHWAY has just been released! Also be sure to catch up on previous episodes and let us know what you think!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles