Mountain destination alternatives to Alpine Loop?

cpainter

My wife and I have been spending every summer vacation the last 10 years roaming the Alpine Loop and associated trails in our 2001 LC. While I'd be content going there for the rest of my years, the missus is wondering if we should expand our horizons. Does anybody here know of any scenic mountain trail destinations that could hold a candle to the San Juan Mountains?

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Are you asking of alternatives to the Alpine Loop but still in the San Juans or completely different places to go?

Either way "yes" but it's gonna take some clues as to what you're seeking.

stevo_pct

The San Juans are the best mountains in Colorado. I think the Elk Range is a close second. I'm not really an off-roader/trail climber, but I know there are 4x4 trails around Crested Butte, and that's a beautiful area (Elk Range is between Crested Butte and Aspen, more or less). Look at Schofield pass (spelling?) between Marble and CB. Lot's of other trails in the area too.

An alternative to mountains in general would be Utah. Plenty of places to explore and just as beautiful. Not really mountains though...

I'd look at New Mexico too

cpainter

After living for decades in West Texas, we tend to enjoy areas with a lot of trees and topography. We've heard people talk about Utah, but I always picture it to be more of a desert environment like where we live. I work, from time to time, in New Mexico, so we're somewhat familiar with that area. I'll have to look into the recommended Crested Butte area. Thanks for the suggestions.

ns7i

After living for decades in West Texas, we tend to enjoy areas with a lot of trees and topography. We've heard people talk about Utah, but I always picture it to be more of a desert environment like where we live. I work, from time to time, in New Mexico, so we're somewhat familiar with that area. I'll have to look into the recommended Crested Butte area. Thanks for the suggestions.

The desert in Utah is pretty radically different from that of West Texas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cpainter

I've driven up to Montana 3 years in a row with a buddy of mine who was raised in Columbus. We tried hunting black bears around Picket Pin Mountain. We never had much luck with the bears, but the scenery was awesome. The only problem is we usually only have 5 days or so for our vacation and Montana is about a 29 hour drive away. I wish it was closer. I'd rather go there than Colorado these days.

Etoimos

Observer
I think it is going to be hard to beat the SJ mountains when you factor in the scenery, number of places to go and see, and the relative close proximity to TX. That said, simply making your way north exploring the Rocky Mountains in CO would be well worth it, especially if you do it during the fall with the leaves changing color.

161001-0000204031-GP5B5456.jpg

GranbyColors-5808.jpg

tatanka48

about 30± years ago i was introduced to the area that includes Aspen, Carbondale & Marble

east of Mclure Pass

south of Glenwood Springs & Beaver Creek

west of Leadville & Buena Vista

and north of Gunnison

lotsa history and some truly fine vistas

Marble is in the middle of the area and there is some good off roading east and south east of the town

Screen Shot 2022-01-22 at 12.15.09 PM.jpg

once in the area you can find and entertain yourselves w/ all kinds of activities

Carbondale is a good source for fuel and groceries

the road (317) from Crested Butte to Crystal should be done south to north going down the devil's Punch Bowl if you are realy sporty and adventuresome

it crosses Schofield Pass at the top of the Punch Bowl and then gets very technical and VERY sporty(so i've heard)

Lead King Basin Loop north n east of Marble is a really pretty drive and is tight in some places butt i've made it in a 1/2-ton PU

Screen Shot 2022-01-22 at 11.42.03 AM.jpg

there is a sign at the point where the road to the Punch Bowl breaks off and you head up into Lead King Basin and it aint plumb wrong

IMG_0894.jpg

the road from Marble to Crystal is slow and ruff in paces butt seeing The Mill is worth the time it takes

13566924_825112970923771_7497338545131834106_n.jpg

between the Aspen Ski Area and Independence Pass is a nice afternoon walk up the Grottos Trail which is easy even for this old fat man

Screen Shot 2022-01-22 at 12.02.10 PM.jpg

don't forget the Marble Quarry in Marble

this is where the stone for the Tomb Of The Unknown in Arlington Cemetery came from as well as many National Cemetery headstones

some of the area gift shops sell stuff made from the same marble there in the Marbel area

i could go on ...

BON CHANCE

"T"

Last edited:

Foy

Explorer
I've driven up to Montana 3 years in a row with a buddy of mine who was raised in Columbus. We tried hunting black bears around Picket Pin Mountain. We never had much luck with the bears, but the scenery was awesome. The only problem is we usually only have 5 days or so for our vacation and Montana is about a 29 hour drive away. I wish it was closer. I'd rather go there than Colorado these days.

Montana? Nope, nothing to see there. Flatter than Nebraska. Blistering summertime heat. Locusts. Tornados. Trolls under the bridges. Best to not waste your time. They're full. Try Wyoming.

Foy

86scotty

Cynic
about 30± years ago i was introduced to the area that includes Aspen, Carbondale & Marble

east of Mclure Pass

south of Glenwood Springs & Beaver Creek

west of Leadville & Buena Vista

and north of Gunnison

lotsa history and some truly fine vistas

Marbe is in the middle of the area and there is some good off roading east and south east of the town

Thanks for the reminder and info. I've been trying to get to this area in mid to late summer when it's all passable for years. Every stinkin' time I've run out of time or gotten to closed roads.

Maybe this summer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94