eye splicing recovery rope

4000lbsOfGoat

New member here. I know this is an old thread and don't want to be a bother. I discovered this fine site while trying to find eye and/or splice instructions for kinetic rope. I've got a idea of what is being done, but not quite sure exactly what is being done. If anyone knows where I can find more detailed instructions, could you please post here or post a link to them?

Thanks in advance!
Not kinetic rope specific but Factor 55 has a demo video here.

doyll

Thanks for the link! It's a nice guide to doing an eye in braided winch rope / static line. Kinetic rope has at least 2 braided lines, maybe more .. so don't think that guide works.

I've spliced many non-kinetic ropes the way it shows in video. Only difference is I unbraid end and cut each strand progressively shorter so finished product as a tapered drop in size where inside rope ends.

Kinetic spice is obviously different not only because of it's elasticity, but also because it multi layer. Our winch like is one layer. The images at beginning this thread do not lace rope the 3 times through rope over 2 braids like is done is your link video. I have an almost new kinetic rope given to me with a 2 strands cut near middle. I need to find kinetic rope splice / eye end loop instructions. I am not comfortable using normal spice technique. I'm afraid the resuling rope to have a very dangerous failure. ;)

I found another video guide to putting a loop in double braided rope (2 layers of braiding) that looks like it might be same technique as images in opening post.

This link is to even better explained / more detailed video of double braid spice.

I suspect kinetic rope spice is same as above, but want to be sure before I do it. I sure don't like the idea of doing eye splice in kinetic rope wrong and possibly creating something dangerous.

I still want to find instructions for eye spice and line splicing that is specifically for kinetic rope. While I looks like videos above are how it's done, none I've found specifically say it's for kinetic rope.

Last edited:

Howard70

Adventurer
I still want to find instructions for eye spice and line splicing that is specifically for kinetic rope. While I looks like videos above are how it's done, none I've found specifically say it's for kinetic rope.

Hello Doyll:

If you can determine the actual manufacturer of the line used to make the "kinetic rope" you wish to splice, they may have splicing instructions available. If the line is made by Samson, Yale, New England Ropes, etc. you're in good shape. If it is simply stretchy line of unknown origin sold by a vendor as "kinetic rope" you could try asking the vendor for splicing instructions or asking them who manufactures the line they use.

Howard

Last edited:
If you don't have a fid, a permanent marker and electrical tape does just fine on 1/2" and up line. Bury the tail as deep as you can and feather the end that is inserted it helps grab better inside the line when tightened.

NorthwestDriver

Made my kinetic recovery rope this weekend. Sourced some 1” nylon double-braid from a local marine supply house and made a “fid” out a piece of 60” heavy wire doubled over. Just used electrical tape to connect the rope to the wire and fished it through.

I’ll make another one that’s 3/4” or 7/8” down the road.

Final splice (5th attempt…):

503ff251c476acfd1923df8335724e26.jpg

Howard70

Adventurer
Made my kinetic recovery rope this weekend. Sourced some 1” nylon double-braid from a local marine supply house and made a “fid” out a piece of 60” heavy wire doubled over. Just used electrical tape to connect the rope to the wire and fished it through.

I’ll make another one that’s 3/4” or 7/8” down the road.

Final splice (5th attempt…):

503ff251c476acfd1923df8335724e26.jpg
Nice job! Hard to beat the satisfaction of completing a good splice like that.

Howard

NorthwestDriver

Very satisfying. Splicing itself is relatively simple, but making it look tidy is another thing entirely. I now have appreciation for masters of a craft I didn’t know existed two weeks ago.

Also, for anyone considering their own DIY. It takes about 38’ of rope to make a 30’ rope with two 10” eyes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior