Stabilizing Jacks-Please help!

OcoeeG

Ok, so I am building a trailer (separate thread). I am in the process of getting leveling/stabilizing jacks on it. Plan on using scissor jacks on all 4 corners. Well I have jacks on the 2 back corners and threw a few jack stands on the front 2 corners to check stability. Well totally jacked up with wheels off the ground it might be MORE unstable than it is unjacked, it wobbles all over the place.
I tried using chocks on the tires and that seemed to help the forward and back wobble, but not the side to side so much.

How do I take out some of that wobble? Make a wider base for my jacks? Any tips and tricks are highly appreciated.

Last edited:

OcoeeG

My goal with the jacks is both leveling and stabilizing. Right now is is not stable whether the tires are on the ground or in the air.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
What is your expectation of “stable”?

How much of the wobble is just in your tent rack versus the trailer?

Whether Bal-C style, or Scissor style, the orientation of the Jack matters. If your scissors are all fore-aft, your trailer is likely to wobble side-side. 4 is also harder to level and stabilize than 3. Try using just a tongue Jack and rear corners? Try turning 1 Jack in the front side to side and the rears fore-aft (actually probably better the other way round.

I use 2 Bal-C style in the rear- mounted sideways instead of the better 45, and a tongue Jack, and I would call it rock solid… as far as trailers go.

Also, your trailer looks really light. Go buy 600 lbs of concrete in bags at HD and put it on the trailer. You can return it after the experiment, but the mass will probably help with wobble. I carry about 40 extra gallons of water as ballast and because water is useful in the desert.

OcoeeG

What is your expectation of “stable”?

How much of the wobble is just in your tent rack versus the trailer?

Whether Bal-C style, or Scissor style, the orientation of the Jack matters. If your scissors are all fore-aft, your trailer is likely to wobble side-side. 4 is also harder to level and stabilize than 3. Try using just a tongue Jack and rear corners? Try turning 1 Jack in the front side to side and the rears fore-aft (actually probably better the other way round.

I use 2 Bal-C style in the rear- mounted sideways instead of the better 45, and a tongue Jack, and I would call it rock solid… as far as trailers go.

Also, your trailer looks really light. Go buy 600 lbs of concrete in bags at HD and put it on the trailer. You can return it after the experiment, but the mass will probably help with wobble. I carry about 40 extra gallons of water as ballast and because water is useful in the desert.

@NatersXJ6 Thanks for your response, some good advice there.

Mine is far from rock solid. Full disclosure I am just starting to set up my jack system. Nothing is attached yet. The movement is most definitely in the jacks, the rack is pretty solid. If you watch the jacks as you shake the trailer you will see them moving all over the place. So a lot of variables are working against me at this point. They have no purchase on the concrete shop floor, there is obvious play in the scissors of the jack, etc.

And yes, my trailer is still very light. It is completely empty, once I get it full of gear, battery, water it will be considerably heavier.

Last edited:

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Play in the scissor joint would be a concern, maybe a higher quality Or heavier duty Jack can help with that. Otherwise, don’t discount the triangle thing. 4 jacks seems intuitively better, but 3 points of contact is common in many places stability is needed. Compare a 3 leg stool to a 4 leg. It is just easier to get good balance on 3, then they are all loaded and don’t wobble.

emulous74

I use Ark's XO Drop Down Corner steadies and have been very happy with them on my Xventure trailer. They also make a version that doesn't permanently attach to the trailer too.

BlackDDS-2048px-0520_1024x1024.jpg

billiebob

Stability is best with the wheels LOCKED. Do you have brakes? My neighbour has brakes that are always on unless there is power to release them. On the tongue jack stand it is rock solid. He never uses the corner screw jacks, he just parks level left to right and levels it with the tongue jack stand.
Rock solid.

The BIG plus, impossible to steal unless you can release the brakes.

The_Squid

Ok, so I am building a trailer (separate thread). I am in the process of getting leveling/stabilizing jacks on it. Plan on using scissor jacks on all 4 corners. Well I have jacks on the 2 back corners and threw a few jack stands on the front 2 corners to check stability. Well totally jacked up with wheels off the ground it might be MORE unstable than it is unjacked, it wobbles all over the place.
I tried using chocks on the tires and that seemed to help the forward and back wobble, but not the side to side so much.

How do I take out some of that wobble? Make a wider base for my jacks? Any tips and tricks are highly appreciated.

Jacks at all four corners work for our trailer to stabilize it. It's probably best to use blocks under the tires for the levelling part. I am actually amazed at just how stable it is. Compared to when we had it on the roof of the Subaru, it's night/day.

There are scissor jacks on the front and trailer tongue jacks in the back.

c2cfcfd9-79d4-4fe7-a489-879d7046912d-jpeg.641061

a4063186-0d3f-4e27-b814-1021b5b7fd0e-jpeg.641072

Last edited:

OcoeeG

Stability is best with the wheels LOCKED. Do you have brakes? My neighbour has brakes that are always on unless there is power to release them. On the tongue jack stand it is rock solid. He never uses the corner screw jacks, he just parks level left to right and levels it with the tongue jack stand.
Rock solid.

The BIG plus, impossible to steal unless you can release the brakes.

No my trailer does not have brakes. But yes, I noticed if I chocked the wheels it was WAY more stable so that will be part of the stabilization procedure for sure. My tongue jack is NOT rock solid, need to look into that a little.

ScottReb

Adventurer
Corner steadies AND brakes for the win. Alko or Ark. We use them on our 10', 3000lb, lift top trailer and it's rock solid even with two people working and moving around inside. Brakes are super important, without them you're still rocking and stressing and no jack/steady will deal with that well.

FosterWV

Baller On A Budget
We went with detachable tongue crank jacks (no clue if that the technical name LoL) one on each rear corner and one on tongue. I typical leave the wheels on the ground 35x12.50s no brakes. No issues. Pic was w no wheels but ya get the idea

85483B50-1BBE-470B-9480-F04D26BBE75A.jpeg

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
If all you need is stabilization to prevent rocking, etc. and not self-jacking, something like this would be much lighter and cheaper:

stabilizer.jpg

Heck, this is even a DIY candidate if you're moderately handy and are the kind of person likely to carry a ratchet-strap anyhow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles