ARK XO OFF ROAD COUPLER - CLASS 3

4000lbsOfGoat

I use one for my 3000lb trailer (500lb tongue weight). I've pulled the trailer over 7000 miles with it so far, on all manner of terrain. It's worked great for me. I've never used a lock n roll but I shied away from it because it seems fiddly to hook up. Really nothing easier for hook up than a regular old ball.

Cheers!

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

I use one for my 3000lb trailer (500lb tongue weight). I've pulled the trailer over 7000 miles with it so far, on all manner of terrain. It's worked great for me. I've never used a lock n roll but I shied away from it because it seems fiddly to hook up. Really nothing easier for hook up than a regular old ball.

Cheers!

Thanks for responding. I may have to run it upside down as I need a few inches of rise to hook to my van. Think that would be a problem. It looks heavy, Any guess on how much it weighs?

4000lbsOfGoat

I have run mine in both directions - I confirmed with Ark that it is fine either way.

It is undoubtedly heavy but not unmanageable. I remove mine regularly to stash it in the trailer. Maybe 20-30 pounds?

ScottReb

Adventurer
Have to throw in a vote for the Cruisemaster DO hitches. Light years ahead in terms of design. We just rolled our prototype trailer 360 degrees. The whole drawbar was tweaked, the chain holders on the truck destroyed, and the whole hitch bent along the drawbar axis. Thankfully the trailer landed wheels up and we drove it another 50 miles without event. Hitch is still functioning perfectly even all twisted up!

Main reason I am considering the ARK is if I need to be rescued the non 2" ball hitches could be a problem. To all you guys using lock n roll, CM, machitchs or others have you ever had issues in a rescue or if you tv breaks down?

ScottReb

Adventurer
Just pull the truck end out of your receiver and put it in the "rescue" vehicle. Ark makes several nice products, I just don't think the hitch is one.

Just pull the truck end out of your receiver and put it in the "rescue" vehicle. Ark makes several nice products, I just don't think the hitch is one.

I hear you. They look kind of heavy. My van runs low in the back what if the hitch don't line up on rescue vehicles? Am I over thinking this? What hitch is ur fav?

alia176

Explorer
It's a little shocking to me how the hitches mentioned above weigh 20 to 40lbs. That's a redonk amount of weight and complexity but hey, each to their own. I have a TREG system and i think mine checks in at less than 10#, going on 16 years now.

Interesting question about the TV, which I assume is the tow vehicle breaking down. Why is this even being considered? If it breaks down, you fix it then keep on trucking. :) Typically, if we're towing a trailer, we aren't rock crawling, so the "abuse" factor is usually pretty low. We need to have 150% confidence in our vehicles and in our abilities to solve any issues that come up while "overlanding", yes?

4000lbsOfGoat

we aren't rock crawling, so the "abuse" factor is usually pretty low
While you may not be looking for rocks, they do present themselves now and then. You could drag the XO coupler right over a rock and it wouldn't even notice. I don't know how well other couplers would hold up to that. It's a bit heavy but I'm darn confident that it's never going to break...

alia176

Explorer
I can only speak from my experience and thus far, "dragging" my hitch has yet to happen in the 16 years of ownership. If my hitch was dragging, that'd mean that my entire trailer's belly would be getting dragged across rocks and obstacles. This brings me to my original point of "we ain't rock crawling with trailers" :)

I took mine through Elephant Hill in UT just for S&G and didn't come close to making contact. Still, I won't be doing that type of trail with a trailer if it can be avoided.

Last edited:

ScottReb

Adventurer
As far as lining up height-wise, there are many options to set that up, just as with regular hitches. For a recovery, it doesn't have to be perfect.
We have drug ours over rocks, gravel, sand, you name it, never any issues. Like I said above after a 360 roll we just drove around without issues.
That being said, I don't think you will go wrong with any of the hitches noted. Pick one and I think you'll be happy. Don't over think it, it really is just a simple connection.

It's a little shocking to me how the hitches mentioned above weigh 20 to 40lbs. That's a redonk amount of weight and complexity but hey, each to their own. I have a TREG system and i think mine checks in at less than 10#, going on 16 years now.

Interesting question about the TV, which I assume is the tow vehicle breaking down. Why is this even being considered? If it breaks down, you fix it then keep on trucking. :) Typically, if we're towing a trailer, we aren't rock crawling, so the "abuse" factor is usually pretty low. We need to have 150% confidence in our vehicles and in our abilities to solve any issues that come up while "overlanding", yes?
Good points. I am probably over thinking this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles