Anyone using an GMC AT4 or any other GM pickup for overlanding?

ABBB

This is the exact set up I am looking to achieve if I go with a RTT in the future. Looks great!

Thanks, it has served us well. Food for tonight: some people put high bed racks on, which has advantages in terms of usable bed space and access, but after having run an RTT high up on a vehicle prior to this setup, I’ll never do it again. It turns the thing into both a brick and a kite, messes with suspension and overall balance of the vehicle. You really want your center of gravity lower, generally and especially if you’ll be off road. The only loss is some visibility out the rear but the view out the rear of the twins is not great anyway. Lots of quality mid-height bed racks out there. Holler if you have any questions about the process or want to chat at all as you go through your process! Whereabouts are you located?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ABBB

The hd does not perform well off road compared to the Ram or ford. That torsion bar front end and lack of Elocker.

That’s true of mid-size, GM doesn’t seem to want to compete in that category. For your money, the ZR2 with front and rear lockers and a healthy aftermarket arena is a great platform. Lots can be done with a Colorado or Canyon, or you can start higher grade with a Colorado ZR2 Bison, designed with AEV. I’ve pushed my Bison hard in mud, snow, sand, clay, steep terrain, and I’ve yet to find its limit. Since I bought it in May, it’s been all over the UP in Michigan, Badlands, Black Hills, Buffalo Gap, Sawtooths, Magruder Corridor, the southern portions of the coastal and cascade ranges in Oregon, and lately in the Klamath NF in NorCal. I’ve needed recovery boards only once and have only ever winched someone else out of a ditch. I can’t cut trail in the snow like someone on 40s but I’m nimble on 33s with only my springs front and rear upgraded from stock. It’s a helluva little truck and can sneak around tight turns and narrow trail, unlike midsize trucks. And I still daily it (take this with a grain of salt, I work from home ). I should mention too that it’s a diesel, which gives me great low end power over my gasser pals.

EDIT: found its limit! 18 inches or so of muddy muddy mud. TGFW (thank goodness for winch).

Last edited:

Wrathchild

As a long time GM truck owner I am continually disappointed with their offerings. Aside from the ZR2, GM “off-road” packages are just stickers and badges, garbage tires and even worse rancho shocks. They make great platforms with the right modifications, but in stock form they are outclassed by most every other manufacturer. I feel like they’re surviving on just straight brand loyalty by now, vice being the best option.

I say this knowing that my next DD/tow pig will be a Ford.

GM may have gotten my business again, but the new 6.6 gasser isn’t much of an improvement over the old 6.0. Then they put a 6spd behind it, and freeway flyer gears for economy.

F350, 7.3 gas w/10spd and 4.30 gears? Yes please.

Last edited:

Explorerinil

Observer
As a long time GM truck owner I am continually disappointed with their offerings. Aside from the ZR2, GM “off-road” packages are just stickers and badges, garbage tires and even worse rancho shocks. They make great platforms with the right modifications, but in stock form they are outclassed by most every other manufacturer. I feel like they’re surviving on just straight brand loyalty by now, vice being the best option.

I say this knowing that my next DD/tow pig will be a Ford.

GM may have gotten my business again, but the new 6.6 gasser isn’t much of an improvement over the old 6.0. Then they put a 6spd behind it, and freeway flyer gears for economy.

F350, 7.3 gas w/10spd and 4.30 gears? Yes please.
Your right, people that buy new gm trucks are relying on their past reputation. The new 6.6 gasser is a flop, and it was mated to an archaic 6 speed trans, compairing that to what ford and ram offer you would have thought gm would have upped their game. What gm needs to do to get viable in the truck market is find a new group of designers, their trucks are terrible looking and their interiors don’t hold a candle to ram and now ford.

Wrathchild

To get back on track, @landis76 you didn’t mention whether your AT4 is a 1500 or 2500/3500. Either way, if you decide to up your tire size DO NOT just put a level on it unless you wanna toast your upper ball joints, do it right to include a proper replacement upper control arm.

Also not sure if the newest trucks still have AFM. Best thing you can do is tune it out and keep it in 8cyl mode. Once you start adding weight or towing, always shifting into 4cyl is annoying with no MPG benefit.

ABBB

I believe you're referring to Greystone Metallic ;)

View attachment 700603

Or how about SATIN STEEL!

999fd87ef409534256dccbf8c3862b8c.jpg

sierrat4runner

I just made the transition from a Jeep JKU to a 2020 GMC AT4 and finding that outfitting options are a little more difficult to find more than I thought over the Jeep. Yeah I know, "Duh" but I had hope to find close to as many options as I would find for Ford or Dodge.
Side question: Has anyone found a hard tonneau cover and RTT rack combo that works well together?
Not many options indeed, I have a 2016 GMC Sierra 1500. It's common that these trucks get turned into pre-runners.
Some notable companies I have bought from and know of are -
Suspension, Front and Rear components - Dirt King Fabrication, Mazulla Offroad, LSK Suspension
Bumper/Armor - Addictive Desert Designs, Dirt King Fabrication, Chassis Unlimited
Overlanding Gear - Leitner Designs has a good bed rack for full size segment, Wilco Offroad has some good selections too.
Rock sliders I had it custom fabbed since there are slim options available.
I am also going to get a custom bed rack and front bumper built out later down the line.

emulous74

Just ordered a 2022 Silverado ZR2 in Glacier Blue Metallic, with sunroof, technology package (heads-up display, adaptive cruise control, tilt/telescoping steering column, rear view camera mirror), engine block heater, multi-flex tailgate, and rock rails.

For 2022 it only comes in Crew Cab/Short Bed, 6.2L V8, 10-speed auto, front and rear electronic locking diffs, DSSV shocks, upgraded leafs, not any wider than another Silverado, 3" lift, 33" Multi-terrain tires, steel bumpers, tucked up exhaust, full aluminum skid plates.

I'll be selling my Colorado ZR2 Bison Diesel extended cab, when my 2-door bronco comes in, so between that and the Silverado ZR2, I've got expeditions covered.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Your right, people that buy new gm trucks are relying on their past reputation. The new 6.6 gasser is a flop, and it was mated to an archaic 6 speed trans, compairing that to what ford and ram offer you would have thought gm would have upped their game. What gm needs to do to get viable in the truck market is find a new group of designers, their trucks are terrible looking and their interiors don’t hold a candle to ram and now ford.
You’d think they would get some focus groups, 5 minutes would tell them what’s needed.
Ditch the wax frame, ditch the torsion bar, install tires larger than 31”, get an elocker. Ditch the square wheel wells

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Just ordered a 2022 Silverado ZR2 in Glacier Blue Metallic, with sunroof, technology package (heads-up display, adaptive cruise control, tilt/telescoping steering column, rear view camera mirror), engine block heater, multi-flex tailgate, and rock rails.

For 2022 it only comes in Crew Cab/Short Bed, 6.2L V8, 10-speed auto, front and rear electronic locking diffs, DSSV shocks, upgraded leafs, not any wider than another Silverado, 3" lift, 33" Multi-terrain tires, steel bumpers, tucked up exhaust, full aluminum skid plates.

I'll be selling my Colorado ZR2 Bison Diesel extended cab, when my 2-door bronco comes in, so between that and the Silverado ZR2, I've got expeditions covered.
I’d say so- that zr2 is sweet!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online