Why I Bought a Ford F250 Tremor for a Four Wheel Campers Hawk UTE

BretEdge

Adventurer
My fingers didn’t clearly type what I was thinking in my head. Just selfishly wishing the winch was part of the Tremor package, by which, getting a bit of a discount. It’s a $3k option.

That would be nice, kind of like the Power Wagon.

BretEdge

Adventurer
I did not look, but if you ordered the 7.3 gas, make sure you order the dual battery and 397 amp alt.

Good point. I did, because I knew we'd be charging camper batteries while driving and that I'd be installing a bunch of aftermarket parts that would require extra power. And, it was super affordable so really no reason not to add it.

eyemgh

My fingers didn’t clearly type what I was thinking in my head. Just selfishly wishing the winch was part of the Tremor package, by which, getting a bit of a discount. It’s a $3k option.

I ordered one at the beginning, but I bailed on the winch option. I want a stronger bumper. Plus, I'll be carrying a camper, so 12K probably isn't big enough.

BretEdge

Adventurer
I ordered one at the beginning, but I bailed on the winch option. I want a stronger bumper. Plus, I'll be carrying a camper, so 12K probably isn't big enough.

It would be enough if you used it with a snatch block, which effectively doubles the winch capacity.

eyemgh

It would be enough if you used it with a snatch block, which effectively doubles the winch capacity.

I may still do a 12k. If I can get an Expedition One, I'll go 16.5K. If I have to go Warn, I'll do a non HD bumper and a 12K. (y)

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I'd go with a M15000 or the 16.5ti if using it for a 3/4-ton or larger. These trucks are damn near 8K lbs stock, add people, gear, and everything else we bolt to them and you've got a 9000+ lb truck. The old minimum of 1.5x the weight of your truck pretty much eclipses the 12,000 lb winch. I picked up a 16.5 Ti-S a few months back for my AEV bumper. If I had to do it over again I'd probably save some money and go with the ComeUp 16.5.

eyemgh

I'd go with a M15000 or the 16.5ti if using it for a 3/4-ton or larger. These trucks are damn near 8K lbs stock, add people, gear, and everything else we bolt to them and you've got a 9000+ lb truck. The old minimum of 1.5x the weight of your truck pretty much eclipses the 12,000 lb winch. I picked up a 16.5 Ti-S a few months back for my AEV bumper. If I had to do it over again I'd probably save some money and go with the ComeUp 16.5.

Come Up 16.5 is the plan, if I can. I’d love to order it naked and throw a Yankum line and farlead on.

montypower

Adventure Time!
12k lb winch works fine for us. Hasn't failed us yet. And we use our truck and winch. But we carry 80ft extension rope and multiple snatch blocks. Much more flexibility for recovery than a mondo winch. Plus, way less weight and money. Although... I guess if you spent more cash in your pocket that would save some weight. :)

LED lights are sweet but not worth it. Can easily wire AUX lights (to factory switches) that are far superior and less money. We did look at doing a LED light swap but much too expensive and involved.

Keep in mind the front factory LSD is a clutch style unit (not torsen - gear drive) meaning it won't give 100% traction to both tires where one tire has full traction and the other does not. Definitely better than nothing but not ideal. Plus, you can't disable it in the snow/ice which can lead to interesting steering characteristics.

Tremor package is definitely nice! Especially from the factory... Glad Ford is offering more off road oriented configurations.

If you really want to save money...
You can't beat the XL model with optional vinyl floor (no carpet), vinyl seats (great feel).
4.30 gears are a couple hundred bucks with factory rear elocker.
Skid plates are a hundred dollars.
Add a front OX locker (wire to factory AUX switches) and you have a fully locked rig for relatively cheap.

Last edited:

eyemgh

12k lb winch works fine for us. Hasn't failed us yet. And we use our truck and winch. But we carry 80ft extension rope and multiple snatch blocks. Much more flexibility for recovery than a mondo winch. Plus, way less weight and money. Although... I guess if you spent more cash in your pocket that would save some weight. :)

LED lights are sweet but not worth it. Can easily wire AUX lights (to factory switches) that are far superior and less money. We did look at doing a LED light swap but much too expensive and involved.

Keep in mind the front factory LSD is a clutch style unit (not torsen - gear drive) meaning it won't give 100% traction to both tires where one tire has full traction and the other does not. Definitely better than nothing but not ideal. Plus, you can't disable it in the snow/ice which can lead to interesting steering characteristics.

Tremor package is definitely nice! Especially from the factory... Glad Ford is offering more off road oriented configurations.

If you really want to save money...
You can't beat the XL model with optional vinyl floor (no carpet), vinyl seats (great feel).
4.30 gears are a couple hundred bucks with factory rear elocker.
Skid plates are a hundred dollars.
Add a front OX locker (wire to factory AUX switches) and you have a fully locked rig for relatively cheap.

I PM'd you so as not to derail Bret's thread.

hour

Observer

That's what I thought I'd do if I really decided I needed a winch. Figured $3k could buy a bumper and reputable 12k winch.. and it could. I just don't want to screw with adaptive cruise control relocation (and occasional errors that seem to plague everyone who do this), potential visibility issues with the front camera, or parking sensor issues.

FWIW you can order the entire winch package for $2100 here and there are a few DIY installs on fordtremor dot com and youpube.

Good read OP. I ordered a king ranch ultimate 7.3L on Dec 14th, got a confirmation from Ford the same day, and a Feb 7th build date + VIN on Dec 16th. I feel really bad for people who ordered in like June and still don't have a VIN. Not like I skimped on options, has everything minus adaptive steering, 5th wheel prep, and bed liner. Makes me wonder if I had settled for a Lariat Ultimate w/ blackout package if I would have received a VIN so quickly. None of it makes sense. In any event can't wait to join the ranks and probably get the same fuel economy as my bloated 2017 F150.

I'll be reducing rake immediately with camper shell, decked system, my bed slide from F150 on top of that, roof rack, etc. Will then get wheels that push out a little further and 315/70R18 / 35.5x12.4 tires. Going to try to live with the stock suspension for as long as possible. Carli wait, cost, and the fact that I historically screw up every truck (and my bank account) immediately with suspension upgrades all factor in to this decision.

eyemgh

That's what I thought I'd do if I really decided I needed a winch. Figured $3k could buy a bumper and reputable 12k winch.. and it could. I just don't want to screw with adaptive cruise control relocation (and occasional errors that seem to plague everyone who do this), potential visibility issues with the front camera, or parking sensor issues.

FWIW you can order the entire winch package for $2100 here and there are a few DIY installs on fordtremor dot com and youpube.

Good read OP. I ordered a king ranch ultimate 7.3L on Dec 14th, got a confirmation from Ford the same day, and a Feb 7th build date + VIN on Dec 16th. I feel really bad for people who ordered in like June and still don't have a VIN. Not like I skimped on options, has everything minus adaptive steering, 5th wheel prep, and bed liner. Makes me wonder if I had settled for a Lariat Ultimate w/ blackout package if I would have received a VIN so quickly. None of it makes sense. In any event can't wait to join the ranks and probably get the same fuel economy as my bloated 2017 F150.

I'll be reducing rake immediately with camper shell, decked system, my bed slide from F150 on top of that, roof rack, etc. Will then get wheels that push out a little further and 315/70R18 / 35.5x12.4 tires. Going to try to live with the stock suspension for as long as possible. Carli wait, cost, and the fact that I historically screw up every truck (and my bank account) immediately with suspension upgrades all factor in to this decision.

Turns out I couldn’t cancel the winch. I may sell it.

Levittown Ford Parts doesn’t stock it. They order them from Ford Performance and they don’t have them.

Enjoy the new truck!

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Turns out I couldn’t cancel the winch. I may sell it.

Levittown Ford Parts doesn’t stock it. They order them from Ford Performance and they don’t have them.

Enjoy the new truck!

Does anyone make a bumper that adapts the stock winch as a pass through like some do for the PW?

Tex68w

Beach Bum
AFN does, but there’s no grill protection, so to a degree, it defeats the purpose.

Yes and no, it just depends on your needs/desires and where and how you plan to utilize the truck. I've always enjoyed the look of the full wrap bumper, on some vehicles more than others. I appreciate the added protection to the grille and radiator that a full wrap provides and they usually offer opportunities to mount antennas and larger driving lights as well. The drawback to a full wrap is 1) the added weight, 2) the decreased approach angle (95% of the time), 3) the possibility of decreased air flow and 4) a lot of times they can detract from the looks of a vehicle. Looks are subjective and form should follow function but sometimes one can't deny that some things simply don't look good.

When I had my PW I looked into aftermarket bumpers that allowed for the use of the factory winch, luckily I sold it before I forced myself to make a decision in that department. If it were me, I'd rock the factory bumper and hidden winch until I felt the need for upgraditis or once you've damaged the stock one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles