Generator ban in California?

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I would extend past official wilderness areas and say the outdoors where people are camping and trying to enjoy nature.

Add amplified music (usually Bluetooth speakers these days) to that too. I do not want to hear music I like when I camp, so I sure as heck do not want to hear your music that I probably do not like.
We were in Cades Cove a few years ago enjoying the sunset and fire when a dad started up a Pixar movie on a laptop for his tween. With the bluetooth speakers, subwoofer included.
Scared the bejesus out of my dog. My wife only took 15 seconds to percolate to full boil and went over and unloaded on the hapless gent.
The movie ceased instantly.
Hell knoweth no fury as intense as an angry Brazilian woman.

krick3tt

Adventurer
There are so many times I have gone to the great outdoors for quiet reflection to be shaken by the sounds of someone's generous effort to share their music with everyone within a mile. It is right up there with the late night alcoholic party that people feel the necessity of allowing us quiet lonely folks to share. Stay home.
Oh yeah, generators are not considered white noise sleep inducing devices.

RoamIt

There are so many times I have gone to the great outdoors for quiet reflection to be shaken by the sounds of someone's generous effort to share their music with everyone within a mile. It is right up there with the late night alcoholic party that people feel the necessity of allowing us quiet lonely folks to share. Stay home.
Oh yeah, generators are not considered white noise sleep inducing devices.

Agreed- I'll never go to a campground again if I can possibly avoid it. The last time I did, there were people that had so many lights on you could not even see the stars, blasting rap music with lyrics that I did not want my young children to hear, freaking watching TV!, loudly partying until 3am.

Go solar, charged up batteries, etc. Generator's for emergencies, or if your isolated from others.

Why drive out to a national forest to do what you could do at home? Packed up and left the next day.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
It seems crazy to bring in such a Ban when you can buy a Pickup that does 8 to 12mpg and they sell over 1 million of them a year,

Vehicles like RV's designed to take people in to the wilderness run the same engines as the Pickup's yet they want to ban Generators where most of them only get used for a couple of hours once in a blue moon, Thats like fighting a forest fire with a Squirt Gun, Again this is a "To Be Seen Doing" Law and will have zero impact on the issues they are trying to address.,

67cj5

Man On a Mission
I might buy another Generator just to rub salt in the wound for these Idiot law makers,

Another Point is EV's are made in factories that get their Grid power from fossil fuel powered Power Stations and when the new owners of these EV go to charge them That power is comes from the same Power Stations, That's Not Very Green at all,

These People who are making these Laws have no concept of Zero Emissions and how hard that is to achieve.

craig333

Expedition Leader
Here in Sacramento a SMUD substation caught fire. Unable to reroute power they recommended people use portable generators until they could get it fixed.

I try and cut people some slack. I mean there was time when I'd run lights, stereos and stay up till 3am drinking. Now that I'm old and grumpy and in bed when it gets dark I feel a bit differently about things :)

Ducstrom

As annoying as a generator running all night may be, that's not the point of this ban. It's strictly for emissions reasons.
It's another blanket policy that doesn't take into account the many nuances surrounding the use of small engines.
Fuel injection or other exhaust treatments don't fix this issue, they are talking ZERO emissions. That means no fossil fuel burnt.

I just question these types of policies. Take diesel exhaust fluid for example...
If all you look at is the particulate matter and NOx coming out of the tailpipe of diesel vehicles, it's a win.
But, consider all the environmental impacts of the system. You have plastic lines, def injectors, additional coolant lines, plastic def tanks, computer modules to control the system (these are a seperate module), SCR which contain mined metals. Now think of the manufacturing of synthetic urea, trucking it to storage tanks that need to be installed at fueling stations, plastic portable jugs for transporting it (like a disposable Jerry can), transportation of urea in diesel powered tanker truck, diesel powered mining equipment to mine materials for the system, and all the petroleum that goes into making all the plastic for these systems. This is not to mention all the service vehicles and tow vehicles that have to be sent out to repair de-rated vehicles when part of the system fails to operate normally.
I see electric vehicles in the same way.

Policy makers love to throw out numbers about reduced tailpipe emissions but fail to acknowledge all the pollution that goes into making and maintaining these systems.

And before I get flamed for hating the environment, I don't own a diesel vehicle or a generator. I do have a gas lawn mower, but weedwack electrically and am considering an electric motorcycle. :)

pluton

Adventurer
I will not camp where there is a possibilty that I will hear or smell generators.

Selected quotes from the coverage, vis L.A. Times and Ars Technica:
If the state does not act, emission levels from small engines are expected to increase. By 2031, small engine emissions will be more than twice those from passenger cars.
Operating a gasoline-powered leaf blower for one hour produces as much volatile organic compounds and NOx as driving a 2017 Toyota Camry from New York City to Orlando, Florida, state officials say.
According to the board, operating a typical professional gas-powered lawn mower for an hour emits as much pollution as driving a car from Los Angeles to Las Vegas. Operating a backpack leaf blower for an hour emits pollution comparable to driving that same car from Los Angeles to Denver.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
I will not camp where there is a possibilty that I will hear or smell generators.

Selected quotes from the coverage, vis L.A. Times and Ars Technica:
If the state does not act, emission levels from small engines are expected to increase. By 2031, small engine emissions will be more than twice those from passenger cars.
Operating a gasoline-powered leaf blower for one hour produces as much volatile organic compounds and NOx as driving a 2017 Toyota Camry from New York City to Orlando, Florida, state officials say.
According to the board, operating a typical professional gas-powered lawn mower for an hour emits as much pollution as driving a car from Los Angeles to Las Vegas. Operating a backpack leaf blower for an hour emits pollution comparable to driving that same car from Los Angeles to Denver.
Yeah but the person saying that is forgetting that most leaf blowers are 2 stroke and the differance in polution between a leaf blower and a 4 stroke generator are Massive. this is what happens when personal agenda's muddy the waters without the true facts and figures.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
I know they have an issue with Diesel vehicles but my Van/Camper does between 55 and 64mpg (Imp) and puts out less than 118g of co2 and the only way it could put out less polution is to make it in to a Hybrid, regular cars don't need honking great big engines But I love them just the same but common sense and rising Gas prices tells me this Van is the smarter option. And being able to drive 730- 850 miles on 13.18 "imp" or 15 US gallons takes the pain out of going any where.

Last edited:

67cj5

Man On a Mission
How does this work ?
Offhand...
1 diesel gallon US burnt to a perfect ratio creates around 10kg of CO2.
Gasoline creates about 9kg.
The 118 is worked over per Km/Mile,
This Vehicles emissions are what is known as EURO 6 Compliant.

And they can not emit more that 80g NOx per/Km
And 60g NOx per/Km for Gas/Petrol engined Cars.

Last edited:

billiebob

By 2031, small engine emissions will be more than twice those from passenger cars.
Which is why they banned the 2 stroke motor. There were 100 times more hydrocarbons from 2 stroke engines in CA than the hydrocarbons emitted from all the cars in CA. Mostly because 2 strokes either mixed or injected oil into the gas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior