One ton truck Suspension modifications for camper

tacollie

Glamper
A truck is probably a little lighter than yours.
Personally I would skip the 5100s. I tried them hoping they'd be an improvement over the stock stuff Ford offers but they weren't imo. The stock springs ride like crap in my opinion and I ended up with Carlie coils in the front and I'll do Alcans in the rear once I get my flatbed done. I spent the money and got Fox DSC shocks from Accutune. The truck rides significantly better but more importantly it doesn't get thrown all over the road. Handling is significantly better in all situations. I feel like I can drive normal speeds again.

Ninelitetrip

Lighter setup but still an F350. Nice to see what can be done. Carli plus Deaver.

rruff

Explorer
-- And, finally, after bags, add-a-leafs, etc., a new set of rear springs, calibrated for the full, not the empty, load.

Curious what custom springs do for you that adding a leaf and bags do not? Assuming that you aren't relying too heavily on the bags.

I think the frame design has a significant influence on suspension decisions. Some older 1 tons had very flexible frames, while all the new ones are fully boxed and stiff. If the frame is flexible then it articulates offroad, and a heavy swaybar is probably ok. With a stiff frame the suspension needs to articulate... with a heavy swaybar you'll get very little articulation at all.

dstefan

You mean replacing the rear leaf springs? My impression is the stock F350 springs are a pretty close match as it sits fairly level but I'm open to suggestions otherwise.
I‘ll second BretEdges’s comment on progressive springs. I’ve had Deavers on two rigs now and been very happy. Just be sure they’re spec’d for the weight you need to support plus a little. If you feel your current springs are adequate for your weight the other thing you might consider are compression adjustable shocks. I keep my Icons at the softest setting most of the time, but there are some roads where I want more control, and I’m amazed how much better the rig handles with the compression turned up a bit. It’s a truly noticeable difference. Much more control.

rruff

Explorer
I keep my Icons at the softest setting most of the time, but there are some roads where I want more control, and I’m amazed how much better the rig handles with the compression turned up a bit. It’s a truly noticeable difference. Much more control.

You're talking about on-road handling, curves and such, correct?

Cheapish shocks with adjustable damping would be Rancho 9000s... I think they are the only ones that aren't $$$.

BretEdge

Adventurer
Thanks. Alcan has already responded, they sent me a quote for our setup. Just shy of $1500 Thats a set of leafs built/rated for 6500#

I got mine earlier this year so I assume the price has increased because of the increase in cost of materials. Regardless, this is my second set of Alcan springs. Both have been top notch and their service is outstanding.

billiebob

This thread covers all the bases and goes in circles. Are you off road and need clearance and articulation or carving down Mulholland Drive looking for a low center of gravity and flat cornering. Everything else is in between or adjustable. Power Wagon uses sway bar disconnects. Or do you need Mulholland Drive handling when the camper is out and Rubicon articulation on the Rubicon..... Not to mention empty vs loaded ride, handling, articulation.

I didn't see these questions answered in the original post but we almost always compromise once we start building.

ps, cornering vs potholes...... these are diametrically opposed goals..... you will never satisfy both. either or... compromise

Porkchopexpress

ps, cornering vs potholes...... these are diametrically opposed goals..... you will never satisfy both. either or... compromise
I am satisfied with stock ground clearance which is pretty good in my opinion. I agree with the above statement when at lower speeds and reduced articulation. To be more specific about my goals, when I switched out my 4runner shocks with Bilstein 6112/5160s, the digressive damping was immediately noticeable on rough roads at high speed. They seemed to smooth the ride out significantly. However, I have not really noticed a difference at low speed nor did I expect to. I would be happy to get similar results on my F350 and I don't think a heavy swaybar would make any difference. My 4runner has KDSS which is essentially a heavy sway bar that partially disconnects at low speed so the improved high speed handling seems to support that.

Last edited:

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Curious what custom springs do for you that adding a leaf and bags do not? Assuming that you aren't relying too heavily on the bags.

I think the frame design has a significant influence on suspension decisions. Some older 1 tons had very flexible frames, while all the new ones are fully boxed and stiff. If the frame is flexible then it articulates offroad, and a heavy swaybar is probably ok. With a stiff frame the suspension needs to articulate... with a heavy swaybar you'll get very little articulation at all.

When you are talking about a heavy camper or camper conversion, off-road articulation is much less important than stability and damping - we are talking about a relatively big vehicle on dirt roads, not a Jeep on the Rubicon. A properly integrated, progressive spring pack will be more durable and, well, more progressive. We are talking about axle weights in the neighborhood of 7000 lb.+.

Years ago, when I was looking at mods for my Blazer, Lonnie Woods of Desert Vehicles, now devolved into Rough Country, advised me, "Stop putting Band-Aids on a broken leg!" To be sure, he was flogging his "Rough Country" suspension kit. But I put on his nine leaf, progressive spring kit and it worked perfectly for 14 years.

See also Rick Howe's migration to Deaver springs.

Similarly, Nimbl have started pulling the rear springs off of their vehicles and going with a custom spring pack made by Sacramento Springs.

YMMV.

dstefan

You're talking about on-road handling, curves and such, correct?
Yes, typically. However, Ive also upped the compression for some twisty, off camber off road. Shelf roads, etc. I’ve found it helpful in those conditions too.

Porkchopexpress

Digressive damping is firmer at slow shock speeds. So handling is more stable, but small bumps tend to transmit more shock.
Yes, but they soften up bigger hits at higher speed like potholes. Also, thanks for the correction in terminology, I edited my post from "regressive" to digressive. I'm not sure if they are interchangeable terms or if I just remember incorrectly.

rruff

Explorer
When you are talking about a heavy camper or camper conversion, off-road articulation is much less important than stability and damping - we are talking about a relatively big vehicle on dirt roads, not a Jeep on the Rubicon. A properly integrated, progressive spring pack will be more durable and, well, more progressive.

Leaf springs are inherently progressive... but they may be more progressive than stock. The aftermarket packs have a greater number of thinner leaves, which I think primarily makes them twist more readily (aiding articulation), and have longer travel capability. If you don't want articulation or more travel, I'm just skeptical that high $ custom pack is worth the money. When you put the heavy swaybar on to get on road stability, you negate the benefits.

As I recall Nimbl is using the chassis-cab model of the F350 which has a very flexible frame. Do you know if they had stock springs originally before deciding to go with a custom pack?

I ran across this review of Rancho 9000 shocks on a Power Wagon. It's a good intro into what varying the shock damping does to the ride and handling both on road and off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94