Service/Utility Bodies

Tiltdevil690

Looking for input on service/utility bodies as a basis for a camper. In my head it seems perfect just looking for pros and cons and pics for inspiration if anyone has got some. Thanks

Attachments

• 8153531A-9CAD-48E9-A852-2737C6DF7B24.jpeg
    8153531A-9CAD-48E9-A852-2737C6DF7B24.jpeg
    152.3 KB · Views: 134

FAW3

Adventurer
I think OUTSIDE STORAGE is the key aspect you're interested in. I love having external, weatherproof, secure storage. I don't have gear hanging all over, and there is no real "travel mode to camp mode shuffle" moving gear from one area to another. Campsite items/tools/recovery gear is stored outside. Most cooking is done outside using the dropped down box lid as a countertop and a Coleman stove. The most common comment from other truck campers is about the abundant storage. The overall short wheelbase and length are really nice off the pavement.

Most stock slide in truck campers don't match up too well with utility bodies. You can find good examples of some builds here and around, and some makers will modify a model to fit the bed and overhang of a utility bed body, and some folks just build a platform to make it fit.

This is a stock flatbed with custom modified tool/storage boxes...just another way to get it done. It's a great concept when built out of aluminum (for weight savings). Even then...loaded up this is a 10K pound rig. If needed everything above the flatbed can be removed.

UT1.jpg

Last edited:

Zuber

Typical service bodies have deeper sides than a pickup box. If you order a custom one, you can have the sides cut down, but that will increase the price a lot. Service bodies are heavy, made from 18-16 gage steel. They are not very flexible in shape or storage sizes, say compared to a flatbed.

Flat bed with tool boxes is much more flexible for general use. Aluminum flatbed, four boxes underneath, 'top sider' boxes sitting on top and then a slide-in camper. You can change out the camper and/or the top boxes to get your truck back. Usually, a lot less weight and money too. Something you can do in your driveway. ATC can make a custom pop-up for your flatbed, like this.

Popped R F.JPGOut Left Side.JPG

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I love the idea and look of one but only on a short box, they look terrible and are few and far between for 8ft beds which is why I bailed on the idea for my current build. I think a flatbed with underslung boxes makes a lot more sense in terms of weight, usability, and sheer space but they are usually double the price of a new service body and many times more expensive than a used service body, which often times can be had for cheap.

Zuber

A service body is much more expensive than a flatbed. An aluminum service body is rare and would be very expensive.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
A service body is much more expensive than a flatbed. An aluminum service body is rare and would be very expensive.

Quality aluminum flatbeds with boxes are north of $10K all day long (I am not talking your run of the mill farm/ranch steel flatbed), steel service bodies even with color match paint aren't as expensive. I've priced both and even ordered one. Service bodies don't hold their value for $hit on the second hand market either, check CL and see for yourself.

CFMGarage

It's just unfortunate that the American flatbed market is not like the one in Australia. I would be willing to spend more if we had those styles/types of options. I really like the slide out underbody boxes on the CGI Traytek flatbeds and I'd take a canopy over a camper for my uses.

topofpalomar

Enthusiast
We really liked our used utility bed we put on our Chevy. It was a long bed with a short height to fit the camper. I paid $2600.00 for the bed, including installation. It served us well for 6 years. I sold the truck and camper to my neighbour a few years ago and he still has it, so I see it all the time. Kinda miss that setup.

CF41F409-69DE-481B-8CE6-CE5437E446FE.jpeg

eyemgh

I went deep down this rabbit hole. A slide in on a flatbed or service bed is the perfect combination with one big exception. They raise the height of the camper substantially.

Sherptek recognized this issue and has a solution to mitigate it and run the camper at standard height.

Brent Bowen however has an even more elegant solution. I have one on order for a F350/Hallmark build. Check out my thread here: https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/bowen-not-so-flatbed.229346/#post-2979838

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I've often thought a service bed would be great for an off road vehicle, because it would use space that often goes wasted (the space in front of and behind the wheel wells on most pickups.) Being able to access needed equipment without having to go into the bed and dig around is another big bonus.

What I wonder is whether a service bed would be rugged enough for, for example, extended driving on washboard roads or very rocky roads where the bed is rattling around. Those utility beds have a LOT of moving parts (hinges, latches, sometimes shelves.) If you think about it, MOST utility beds are used on vehicles that spend the majority of their time on pavement.

Of course the military uses utility bed pickups so they may well be rugged enough.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
It's a little surprising that someone hasn't come up with a camping-type utility bed specifically designed for off roading or "overlanding."

Think about it: Make it out of some kind of modern fiberglass or plastic to save weight. Include an enclosed rear area for sleeping or secure storage, and then have the compartments on the outside available for neccessary gear.

As with many things, though, the drawback would likely be high cost and very limited market.

Zuber

It's a little surprising that someone hasn't come up with a camping-type utility bed specifically designed for off roading or "overlanding."

Think about it: Make it out of some kind of modern fiberglass or plastic to save weight. Include an enclosed rear area for sleeping or secure storage, and then have the compartments on the outside available for neccessary gear.

As with many things, though, the drawback would likely be high cost and very limited market.

Like this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles